Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Builds HMAS Vendetta

I've made the mistake of buying a model ship. It's a surprise for my Dad over Christmas because my grandfather was on destroyers during the war and this is the only model of the class I could track down.

Hopefully it will give us some time together to work on a project and it will probably take a few months. I've never built anything this ambitious before so I have no idea what I'm doing.

I got started on some Warhammer stuff a few months ago and now I have some of those geek glasses with the light, a set of army painter paints, a revell glue needle, a range of synthetic brushes and a DIY wet palette.

Is there anything else I might need? As a rookie at this sort of thing I bow to the superior knowledge of arrse modellers.

I was thinking of getting one of those spray gun things but the whole kit is pretty expensive and I'd probably need better ventilation.

Daz

LE
Looking at the instructions that @Moderator posted, you'll need an etched brass bending tool, something like this Metal Photo Etch Bending Tool Etched Parts Bender for Model Craft DIY Processing | eBay

Paint sets like this LifeColor LC-CS34 Royal Navy WWII Western Approach - Late War Set 2 | Scale Model Shop other versions are available depending on the scheme used

An airbrush is a good idea, the El Cheapo kits that come with an airbrush and compressor that are sold for decorating nails & cakes etc will do the job if its a one off - just practise on some scrap first to get the hang of it.

Undercoat/Primer is also worth considering, some of the boys use Halfords finest

I've made the mistake of buying a model ship. It's a surprise for my Dad over Christmas because my grandfather was on destroyers during the war and this is the only model of the class I could track down.

Hopefully it will give us some time together to work on a project and it will probably take a few months. I've never built anything this ambitious before so I have no idea what I'm doing.

I got started on some Warhammer stuff a few months ago and now I have some of those geek glasses with the light, a set of army painter paints, a revell glue needle, a range of synthetic brushes and a DIY wet palette.

Is there anything else I might need? As a rookie at this sort of thing I bow to the superior knowledge of arrse modellers.

I was thinking of getting one of those spray gun things but the whole kit is pretty expensive and I'd probably need better ventilation.
Annealing the PE before hand softens it typically so it will bend easier. Also if you dont have one a tool to bend it, it can be done using a steel ruler and ever a razor blade and some dowels of the correct sizes.

Some people pre paint the railings before attaching with Cyano glue. I've done painting before and after and find either way you are touching up after attachment.

Take your time and enjoy

Daz

LE
Thank you this is great, I didn't want to open the box so this will give me an idea of what to buy. I was hoping the revell needle glue stick would be ok but it looks like I need cement stuff.
I'm not sure what a "revell needle glue stick" is..... they, Revell, do various plastic cement's/glues, one of which is a bottle with a needle applicator, others are a squeezy tube along with bottles with brushes - personally, I favour brush's, Tamiya also do a range of cement's/glues , you'll also need superglue for the etched parts as they will not stick with plastic glues

Thank you this is great, I didn't want to open the box so this will give me an idea of what to buy. I was hoping the revell needle glue stick would be ok but it looks like I need cement stuff.
I never had any success (pure skill shortage of course) with 'Airfix’ kits. More glue than model including my fingers and the table and the paint jobs usually looked as though the colours had been applied by a blind man tipping buckets of paint.

I wish you and your father well. whatever the outcome, if you and Pa enjoy some quality time then it’ll have been worth doing.

p.s. I can do Lego and even put the supplied stickers on properly.

IMG_20201125_192308907~2.jpg

This is the glue gun and my headset thing. I find the headset goggles really help with fine details with a lens of 2.5. it has a light to highlight the model you're painting too. Only about £20 off Amazon with nearly 4,000 positive reviews. https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/B01GTF06PS?psc=1&ref=ppx_pop_mob_b_asin_title

Don't let anyone see you wearing them though as it might affect your street cred.

Last edited:
Looking at the instructions that @Moderator posted, you'll need an etched brass bending tool, something like this Metal Photo Etch Bending Tool Etched Parts Bender for Model Craft DIY Processing | eBay

Paint sets like this LifeColor LC-CS34 Royal Navy WWII Western Approach - Late War Set 2 | Scale Model Shop other versions are available depending on the scheme used

An airbrush is a good idea, the El Cheapo kits that come with an airbrush and compressor that are sold for decorating nails & cakes etc will do the job if its a one off - just practise on some scrap first to get the hang of it.

Undercoat/Primer is also worth considering, some of the boys use Halfords finest

I was always fairly artistic but as a poor kid I could never afford the Warhammer stuff (now making up for it). Now my clubbing/partying days are slowing down and most of my mates (including myself) are settled I find I need a new hobby.

It is surprisingly satisfying for your mental health to completely zone in on something for an hour or two and forget the wider world and it's something I can see myself doing long into the future.

I would be interested in buying a spray gun but I'd probably need a garage or decent size shed with good ventilation. At the moment I've commandeered a corner of the dining table when I feel like doing some painting.

Has anyone tried watercolor pencils? I hear they're quite good for the tricky details. Also, do you need to varnish a ship/large model after painting it?

Helm

MIA
Book Reviewer
I was always fairly artistic but as a poor kid I could never afford the Warhammer stuff (now making up for it). Now my clubbing/partying days are slowing down and most of my mates (including myself) are settled I find I need a new hobby.

It is surprisingly satisfying for your mental health to completely zone in on something for an hour or two and forget the wider world and it's something I can see myself doing long into the future.

I would be interested in buying a spray gun but I'd probably need a garage or decent size shed with good ventilation. At the moment I've commandeered a corner of the dining table when I feel like doing some painting.

Has anyone tried watercolor pencils? I hear they're quite good for the tricky details. Also, do you need to varnish a ship/large model after painting it?
I've tried the pencils, not worth the effort IMO. Buy good brushes instead. I have never varnished a model myself

I've tried the pencils, not worth the effort IMO. Buy good brushes instead. I have never varnished a model myself
Are there any particular brushes you recommend? I heard sable are good but don't really like the idea of skinning furry critters for a brush.

Daz

LE
View attachment 523690

This is the glue gun and my headset thing. I find the headset goggles really help with fine details with a lens of 2.5. it has a light to highlight the model you're painting too. Only about £20 off Amazon.

Don't let anyone see you wearing them though as it might affect your street cred.
What street cred :)

Daz

LE

Acrylics, a large cardboard box and open the windows - Enamels full PPE :)

Agree with the brass-bending tool, and the idea of LifeColor sets, but for Vendetta, assuming this is in her WW2 rather than WW1 guise, would need an early war, Med set.

E2A: Found this, so the model, if built from the box, is the WW1-era HMS Vendetta.

'Note - the Showcase Models of Australia kit only came out at the start of 2017 and is produced as a 1917 era ship - so it needs work to make it a 1939 era ship = ( it needs a wider and taller rangefinder , director control and an extended bridge - with a 2 pounder AA gun needing to be fitted instead of the Kit 3 inch AA gun , depth charge racks and depth charge throwers ) .'

Last edited:

Daz

LE
Agree with the brass-bending tool, and the idea of LifeColor sets, but for Vendetta, assuming this is in her WW2 rather than WW1 guise, would need an early war, Med set.

E2A: Found this, so the model, if built from the box, is the WW1-era HMS Vendetta.

'Note - the Showcase Models of Australia kit only came out at the start of 2017 and is produced as a 1917 era ship - so it needs work to make it a 1939 era ship = ( it needs a wider and taller rangefinder , director control and an extended bridge - with a 2 pounder AA gun needing to be fitted instead of the Kit 3 inch AA gun , depth charge racks and depth charge throwers ) .'

Hence the "other versions are available depending on the scheme used" line, I should have added era's ;)

Thanks for your help everyone, I can't wait to see my dad's face when he opens the box.

Once we get started I'll post some progress pics on here.

Latest Threads