HM The Queens Garden Party.

Discussion in 'Army Pay, Claims & JPA' started by BuggerAll, Jun 19, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. BuggerAll

BuggerAll LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

Is attending HM's garden Party a duty or should an attendee book leave on JPA?

BTB I'm asking the q on some one else behalf. As a TA officer I am not asking for/expecting to be paid for attending a Garden Party.
  2. I attended as a TA officer many years ago - in fact it was the day the IRA bombed the Household Cavalry. The Adj insisted I drew pay on the basis of 'you wear the uniform - you are doing your duty - the Regs attending are getting paid - it is a One Army concept'. If in doubt 'draw the pay and donate it to the RBL/Help for Heroes.
  3. seaweed

seaweed LE Book Reviewer

Congrats, you're obviously not a Member of Parliament!
    • Like Like x 1
  4. The_Duke

The_Duke LE Moderator

Is it supporting the "Campaign footing"? Does it contribute to the combat effectiveness of the unit or support operations?

The answer is clearly no, so C1 under the current directives.

Sorry, just noticed question is about leave, not pay. I would suggest that is down to the individual's boss.
  5. Please excuse my ignorance but how does a TA officer acquire rights of 'leave' when as a casual employee we are/were paid on a daily rate. the attendee is REg or TA ?
  6. BuggerAll

BuggerAll LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

BTB I'm asking the q on some one else behalf. As a TA officer I am not asking for/expecting to be paid for attending a Garden Party.

The somebody else is a regular.
  7. I'm going to one this year, but wouldn't even dream of putting in for leave, particularly given the fact that Service personnel should really attend in uniform.
  8. It was considered as duty the couple of times that I was there... best bib and tucker but nowhere to change into it so either go togged up ready or do what I did and strip off in the Mall between the front and rear doors hiding as much modesty as I could :oops: :oops:
  9. Regarding the donation - excellent suggestion!
  10. Uniform? Really? On the occasions I attended, I went in Full Morning Dress having been told that only the TA and Gunners turn up in their uniform!!

Once there I had a much nicer time, could blend in a bit, without having to bow and scrape to the plethora of very senior types or feel the urge to salute someone every three and a half minutes. You can also stand your ground in the queues for tea/sarnies/ice cream etc without getting 'daggers' from the crusties or their fat wives who othewise would think they'd a right to push in in front of you!

Whatever you wear - have a good time - it's lovely day out if the weather is warm. Do have a stroll around the gardens - beautiful!
  11. Catering by Joe Lyons, the grounds are immaculate and well worth a stroll around. Watch out for the Corgi **** on the lawns though! :wink:
  12. Hello

I have a probably silly question, but if one attends the Garden party, and you choose to wear uniform, do you wear your number 1's or FAD? My fiancée is attending this year and I am accompanying her, and have only been told to wear 'military dress', or rent a suit!

Many thanks
  13. If you are instructed to wear uniform it is No2/Service Dress. No leathers, medals or head-dress.
  14. Give the swan sandwiches a swerve.
    • Like Like x 1
  15. Admittedly my experience is of Garden Parties at Holyroodhouse, but I have never seen anyone saluting or expecting a salute while pushing their way through the throng. Nor can I imagine anyone expecting to push their way in front of someone in uniform in the tea tent.

Have a great day!
    • Like Like x 1