HM the Queen presents medals for Afghanistan recipients

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by Fat_Cav, Dec 8, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. HM The Queen has presented out some well deserved awards at Buckingham Palace yesterday.

Congratulations to Ricky, James, Reece and all the others who received recognition of valuable service and sacrifice.

Corporal Ricky Furgusson went to the aid of wounded comrades four times
    His bravery on the battlefield helped save the lives of many comrades.
    Yesterday it was on display again, as he stepped forward on carbon fibre legs to receive a gallantry medal from the Queen.
    Corporal Ricky Furgusson, 25, who lost both legs, an eye, and fingers on both hands in a blast in Afghanistan in January, has only been on his artificial legs for six weeks, but was determined to walk up to the Queen to receive the Military Cross at Buckingham Palace.

Also receiving a bravery award from the Queen was a soldier who picked up a grenade and hurled it back at Taliban attackers saving his commander.

Lance Corporal James McKie was awarded the Conspicuous Gallantry Cross by the monarch who thanked him for his quick-thinking. The serviceman, originally from New Zealand but now based in Edinburgh, was modest about his exploits and said there were many others not recognised for their actions.

Lance Cpl McKie, 30, of the 3rd Battalion The Rifles, said after the Buckingham Palace investiture ceremony: 'It's been a wonderful experience coming here meeting the Queen and being recognised - not just myself but the Battalion - for what I did in Afghanistan.
    'She thanked me for reacting the way I did and thanked the Battalion for the work we did in Afghanistan.

During the ceremony a teenage soldier who helped lead a daring night raid in southern Afghanistan to capture a Taliban leader was awarded the Queen's Gallantry Medal.

Rifleman Reece Terry, 19, of the 4th Battalion The Rifles, was armed with only a Vallon metal detector and night vision goggles when he led the force through a densely vegetated area full of improvised explosive devices during the 12-hour mission last year.

When they reached their target, special forces servicemen captured the Taliban leader and six others and destroyed enemy munitions before the soldier, who was 18 at the time, found a safe path back to base.

Afghanistan bomb blast soldier Ricky Furgusson receives Military Cross from Queen | Mail Online

AAP ONE - News, Sport, Entertainment and Stock Photography, Video and Flash Some more images of the investiture
  2. BuggerAll

BuggerAll LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

Well done all these guys. Inspirational.

Bit of medal spotting. LCpl McKie was obviously in the NZ Army before. I think his ribbons are: CGC, The NZ Op Service Medal, The East Timor Medal, Don't recognize the next one, Afghanistan.
  3. Years ago I was recovering from a serious, but not military related, illness and feeling a bit sorry for myself. I read a copy of Simon Weston's book about how he recovered from his injuries after the Falklands War and I realised that my problems were somewhat small in comparison. I stopped feeling sorry for myself and got on with my life.

Looking at some of the injuries suffered by the troops in Afghan and Iraq I am constantly amazed at the determination and drive with which they pick themselves up and crack on - they truly are inspirational and make me feel very small when I moan about life's little niggles.

Congratulations to all of them - nothing will ever really compensate for their injuries but surely they have the respect of the rest of the army and their peers. Brave men all.

4. NAILS! Is there any more to be said?
  5. (UNAMET) East Timor UN Medal
  6. ViroBono

ViroBono LE Moderator

I met L/Cpl McKie in Afghanistan, shortly after the incident for which he was decorated. He a genuinely decent man; self-effacing, and much more concerned about others in his unit who had been wounded. He seemed surprised that he was thought to have done something out of the ordinary. Good to see him rewarded for his actions.
  7. Or indeed UNTAET which preceded UNAMET. Same ribbon, different acronym.
  8. Truely humbled. Fantastic performance, especially from such young lads.
  9. As I was driving to work this morning I was ruminating over some of the other threads and contents recently posted on Arrse. Specifically, people defacing monuments, student riots and people with generally bad attitudes. I had more or less come to the conclusion that UK was lacking in pride, had lost a certain sense of value, of history and the meaning of sacrificing selfish needs for the good of the community. Then I read this thread. As I am older now, the gung ho feelings I might have had in years gone by have been replaced by a bit of sadness for the damage that has been done to these young lives. But at the same time I feel a very fierce pride in their fortitude and commitment and a deep thank fullness that we can still rely on brave servicemen and women to go the extra mile for their comrades and their country. MP's of all flavours should leave their cushy offices and wait on these heroes at a dinner provided in their honour by a grateful nation.