HM QEII Portraits

Discussion in 'Weapons, Equipment & Rations' started by down_under, Oct 1, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Didn't know where to put this so I thought the QM's would be the most appropriate for a question on Protocol Matter.
    Whilst in someone elses Mess the other day I noticed their Portrait of Her Majesty was a somewhat old edition. It looked to be from the 70's or earlier and it got me wondering what is the protocol for the updating of said portraits. Is there in fact a protocol for this as I would think that the portrait would need to reflect the the current image of HM. Do the portraits get sanctioned by someone who says when they are to be replaced and is there somene that has the job of informing the Colonies :) etc when this is to occur. I reckon there would be someone here that has this appointment but judging by the state of some portraits I've seen it doesn't seem to be a well managed position.
  2. General Melchett

General Melchett LE Moderator

I used to have a 1960's mess photo of HM QEII on the back of the bog door. Liberated it from somewhere. Used to cause no end of merriment for visitors sitting on the throne with HRH looking down on them.

Apologies Ma'am, the Tower for me.
  3. The portrait in my mess is of "HM" from the 50's. It better not get swapped for a more recent one because she's a fox !
  4. I instigated the purchase of new portraits of HMQ and DofE while at Kineton in C1984 via a proposal at a mess meeting and saw recently they were still the current portraits being displayed. I didn't get involved but I do recall earwigging a conversation which referred to going through the office of the Regimental Colonel and Adjt.

Hope that helps. Taxi!
  5. Hey Downunder, can you send an updated one to SECDET too? The one there is an A4 paper version, stuck up with blu-tac!

At least they tried - I too should have done something, but was too busy fixing the other broke stuff.... :) :oops:
  6. Aye to that !

Oh, is that Beefeater for me ???