HM Ambassador to the US and those leaks

There are well trodden paths that people follow, so as not to offend. School reports do not say "Little Johnny is average in most subjects but is failing miserably in English". They say "Little Johnny is meeting standards in most subjects, and is working towards meeting them in English". The reports are written for future teachers as much as, or more than parents. The language is clearly understood.
The language isnt understood by the parent though is it? They think little Johnny is doing okay because the report doesnt say little johnny is a thickie.

Diplomats are exactly the same. So are doctors. Medical reports are intended for a specific audience and are written in a specific way.
A specific audience? You mean some MPs? Those people who are chosen on popularity and not on their ability to do anything?

A specific audience? You mean some MPs? Those people who are chosen on popularity and not on their ability to do anything?
No, I mean the FCO.

dipTels have a far wider audience than just the FCO - they can't use cryptic "FCO-speak"
I don't think anyone's suggesting that they use some kind of secret code, just be a little more circumspect in choice of words.

It seems remarkable to me that a diplomat, of all people, would couch his report in such intemperate terms. "this man couldn't find his ass with his hands" rather than "the decision making we have observed is inconsistent with what we have previously seen; our assessment is that there may be trouble ahead as a result".

Nothing cryptic there. If he'd said the ass/hands version, the obvious inference is that things will not go well. If he'd said the more explicit version, the inference is that the guy making the decisions is not well thought of.

The difference lies in the consequences if/when someone leaks the correspondence.

Most reports are opinionated, you said earlier he could have said the same about Trump but better worded. In that case he still would have given his opinion. The problem with people using posh and flowery words is that the audience doesn't always understand them so it defeats the object of sending the reports in the first place.

I reckon if Obama had been in charge and the Ambassador was pro brexit, more people on here would be back him up if he slagged him off.
Peccavi

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

Police launch probe of ambassador emails 'leak'

Here you go, @S11Blade - time for you to pass on your IK to the authorities, which I'm sure you will as you're a fine upstanding citizen and not at all bluffing.
What are you wibbling about? The IK related (accurately before events) to what would happen to Ambassador Loudmouth, not who leaked it, of which I have no knowledge. Keep wittering about bluffing if it keeps you happy.

Who would gain from having the ambassador replaced? Who would gain from having the ability to choose a replacement without having to bother about protocol? Who has leaked classified information recently?
He's a lucky so and so. Out for leaking one minute and straight back into the heart of government the next.

BuggerAll

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
He's a lucky so and so. Out for leaking one minute and straight back into the heart of government the next.
I don’t recall any evidence that he was the leaker. Something he strenuously denied. Something which his accusers avoided investigating.

I don’t recall any evidence that he was the leaker. Something he strenuously denied. Something which his accusers avoided investigating.
Of course...I said he was lucky...

They are the only ones who ever see the reports without showing the MP in charge?
Of course not, but I hardly think a report written by a career civil servant would be written in the style of a career diesel mechanic. Similarly, I wouldn't expect the average Whitehall pen pusher to know what to do with a sickly diesel engine.