HM Ambassador to the US and those leaks

I'm all for this forthright talk.
Foreign potentates knowing that they are considered a cunch of bunts can only fuel
Diplomacy. It might be solid or liquid fuelled, mind, but we'll know where we all stand.

.....my hat and my posting to desk Tristan da Cunha ? How kind !

Gout Man

LE
Book Reviewer
If the US Ambassador to the Court of St. James's were any sort of a Gentleman, he would immediately leak his own assessment of the UK Government, including his views on the current and likely forthcoming Prime Ministers. This way we could have the dispute about the kind of language used in such missives resolved, while, no doubt, being highly entertained.
He’s probably posting away in here somewhere, there have after all been some very good disparaging remarks about PM May and Co in all the political threads.

It is perfectly possible to make your meaning clear without causing massive embarrassment if it ends up in the wrong hands, it just requires a bit of care and thought.
I disagree, there is too much sanitizing of reports, if you cant call someone a **** whom you think is one then why bother?
Plain English is the way forward. Speaking in "code" shows a weakness.

Gout Man

LE
Book Reviewer
I disagree, there is too much sanitizing of reports, if you cant call someone a **** whom you think is one then why bother?
Ok, feck off you Cnut!

Gout Man

LE
Book Reviewer

FORMER_FYRDMAN

LE
Book Reviewer
But that's the thing - it's not code for those whose job involves using language professionally. It's a tried and proven method for encouraging objectivity, removing as much emotion and personality as possible from the communications and engagement process and ensuring that, insofar as is possible, relations and interactions transcend the standards of an Arrse Brexit thread.

But that's the thing - it's not code for those whose job involves using language professionally. It's a tried and proven method for encouraging objectivity, removing as much emotion and personality as possible from the communications and engagement process and ensuring that, insofar as is possible, relations and interactions transcend the standards of an Arrse Brexit thread.
Is it? Or is just a cowards way to avoid plain speaking?
If it had been leaked and he had said the same about Trump but with diplomatic words he still would have got shit for it. Not everyone jobs in the Government means they understand "posh words". People are politicians because they have manage to get the most votes not because they are competent, do you think Abbott (For example) would understand anything other than basic English?
My opinion is that there is to much "niceness" from officials. Sometime you need to be direct.

Gout Man

LE
Book Reviewer
OFFICIAL-SENSITIVE apparently

Sir Kim Darroch's diplomatic memos 'leaked in revenge for alleged failure to promote pro-Brexit Britain'
"The correspondence - marked ‘official sensitive’ - was leaked to Ms Oakeshott via a third party. "
Ta. Makes you wonder why that is the case when you consider the stated impacts of the publication of SECRET information against that graded as OFFICIAL-SENSITIVE.

ETA: I guess that FCO policy regarding the protective marking of these may be up for review now!

FORMER_FYRDMAN

LE
Book Reviewer
Is it? Or is just a cowards way to avoid plain speaking?
If it had been leaked and he had said the same about Trump but with diplomatic words he still would have got shit for it. Not everyone jobs in the Government means they understand "posh words". People are politicians because they have manage to get the most votes not because they are competent, do you think Abbott (For example) would understand anything other than basic English?
My opinion is that there is to much "niceness" from officials. Sometime you need to be direct.
There you're talking about interaction between groups of different abilities. An elite secretariat, deliberately recruited and trained with that status in mind, should be able to communicate with itself unemotionally, accurately and with a precise use of language, whatever and however it finally communicates to outsiders.

Reports are no good if you constantly have to aim off when reading them because the author is an opinionated and completely activated axe grinder.

There you're talking about interaction between groups of different abilities. An elite secretariat, deliberately recruited and trained with that status in mind, should be able to communicate with itself unemotionally, accurately and with a precise use of language, whatever and however it finally communicates to outsiders.

Reports are no good if you constantly have to aim off when reading them because the author is an opinionated and completely activated axe grinder.
Most reports are opinionated, you said earlier he could have said the same about Trump but better worded. In that case he still would have given his opinion. The problem with people using posh and flowery words is that the audience doesn't always understand them so it defeats the object of sending the reports in the first place.

I reckon if Obama had been in charge and the Ambassador was pro brexit, more people on here would be back him up if he slagged him off.

Most reports are opinionated, you said earlier he could have said the same about Trump but better worded. In that case he still would have given his opinion. The problem with people using posh and flowery words is that the audience doesn't always understand them so it defeats the object of sending the reports in the first place.

I reckon if Obama had been in charge and the Ambassador was pro brexit, more people on here would be back him up if he slagged him off.
There are well trodden paths that people follow, so as not to offend. School reports do not say "Little Johnny is average in most subjects but is failing miserably in English". They say "Little Johnny is meeting standards in most subjects, and is working towards meeting them in English". The reports are written for future teachers as much as, or more than parents. The language is clearly understood.

Diplomats are exactly the same. So are doctors. Medical reports are intended for a specific audience and are written in a specific way.

FORMER_FYRDMAN

LE
Book Reviewer

That's probably true but it still wouldn't make it right.

BuggerAll

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
845076FF-131B-4700-B259-B8CB45E01CE3.jpeg

Latest Threads