HM Ambassador to the US and those leaks

BuggerAll

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Apologies if this is being discussed in another thread but I can’t find it.

HM Ambassador to the US has criticised the Trump Whitehouse in confidential memos that have been leaked causing a predictable spat.

Leaving aside that whilst we need diplomats to be truthful it was perhaps unwise to be quite so undiplomatic one cant help wondering who leaked it and why.

I t was obviously going to cause problems. Was it a disgruntled civil servant (or minister) who is anti-Trump or anti-BREXIT, hacked by a foreign power or just greed.

Trump says US will no longer deal with UK ambassador

Grownup_Rafbrat

LE
Book Reviewer

HM Ambassador to the US has criticised the Trump Whitehouse in confidential memos that have been leaked causing a predictable spat.

Leaving aside that whilst we need diplomats to be truthful it was perhaps unwise to be quite so undiplomatic one cant help wondering who leaked it and why.

I t was obviously going to cause problems. Was it a disgruntled civil servant (or minister) who is anti-Trump or anti-BREXIT, hacked by a foreign power or just greed.

It's behind a paywall.

Why not pro-Trump or pro-Brexit leaker?

There is some discussion in "The Trump Presidency" this am.

BuggerAll

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Why not pro-Trump or pro-Brexit leaker?
Anything is possible but it on the face of it I can’t see how it could advance their cause. Driving a wedge between the US and the UK might be see to advance w perverted view of Remain given that Trump supports BREXIT.

What is staggering is the leak completely undermined the Ambassador, but the UK government then tried to leave him in place which sends the message that our nations government is hostile to our closest ally at a personal level.

The old criminal adage of who benefits with regards the leak ? It doesn't make a lot of sense this being a remainer, as it surely just drives Boris and Trump closer together. Its possible the leak came from Boris Camp and it was targeted at Hunt.

Given that it was broken by a very pro-Brexit journalist/newspaper, it’s hard to see how this was intended to benefit the anti-Brexit cause.

Regardless of who did it, the fact is this was too much. I cannot fathom the mindset that would think this was acceptable or in the public interest. Darroch’s analysis isn’t being seriously challenged; there’s no one out there who thinks he’s wrong. All this did was anger someone who is known to be petty and spiteful and make other ambassadors wonder if their cables will leak!

What is staggering is the leak completely undermined the Ambassador, but the UK government then tried to leave him in place which sends the message that our nations government is hostile to our closest ally at a personal level.

The old criminal adage of who benefits with regards the leak ? It doesn't make a lot of sense this being a remainer, as it surely just drives Boris and Trump closer together. Its possible the leak came from Boris Camp and it was targeted at Hunt.
But to remove the ambassador would send the message to our other ambassadors that they too will be removed of similar cables were to leak.

Basically we’re damned if we do and damned if we don’t...

@S11Blade is your man. He has inside knowledge.

Yes I have IK on how they do it. Also have IK on how his was bone as was 100% going to be leaked. And he will be sacked shortly.
He must have picked it up from his job working with supermarkets.

Anything is possible but it on the face of it I can’t see how it could advance their cause. Driving a wedge between the US and the UK might be see to advance w perverted view of Remain given that Trump supports BREXIT.
Drive a wedge, yes. Boris becomes PM and pressure to make the morons' messiah the only option acceptable to the idiot in the WH.

It has been discussed across lots of MSM since the leak. Obviously not the type of MSM that's acceptable to you and your ilk otherwise you may have given it a thought.

I wonder why, these days, this is an issue. I quite like Trump but he regularly comments - very publicly - about UK issues; the performance of HMG, Brexit, etc. He shouldn't expect to be able to blaze away, and then object to criticism coming the other way.

But to remove the ambassador would send the message to our other ambassadors that they too will be removed of similar cables were to leak.

True, but when its our biggest ally (friend is stretching it), its vital we have an ambassador who can form personal relationships with the US Administration, because that essentially is his job since the invention of the telephone and later the internet.

True, but when its our biggest ally (friend is stretching it), its vital we have an ambassador who can form personal relationships with the US Administration, because that essentially is his job since the invention of the telephone and later the internet.

I think it can be argued that the principle is the important thing here. Trump operates at the absolute pinnacle of politics; people have been saying nasty things about the President of America for as long as any of us can remember, it goes with the territory. Trump himself has flung so much mud at Obama alone that he really hasn’t grounds for complaint when someone else criticised him.

Moreover if our ambassadors do not feel they are fully backed by HMG, then how can we be sure they’re doing what we need them to do?

Somebody leaked, that’s the story here. If Trump wants to get angry that he was thought ill of, well...pot/kettle/black, quote frankly. Plus, as I say, that’s the world he operates in now! He needs to grow thicker skin!

Personally I think firing the ambassador would send entirely the wrong message; he’s leaving in six months anyway. Suck it up Trump, some people don’t think you’re good at the job. Why does he care anyway?

I think it can be argued that the principle is the important thing here. Trump operates at the absolute pinnacle of politics; people have been saying nasty things about the President of America for as long as any of us can remember, it goes with the territory. Trump himself has flung so much mud at Obama alone that he really hasn’t grounds for complaint when someone else criticised him.

Moreover if our ambassadors do not feel they are fully backed by HMG, then how can we be sure they’re doing what we need them to do?

Somebody leaked, that’s the story here. If Trump wants to get angry that he was thought ill of, well...pot/kettle/black, quote frankly. Plus, as I say, that’s the world he operates in now! He needs to grow thicker skin!

Personally I think firing the ambassador would send entirely the wrong message; he’s leaving in six months anyway. Suck it up Trump, some people don’t think you’re good at the job. Why does he care anyway?
Whoever leaked it:-
1. Russians - It embarrasses Hunt and they would rather have Boris.
2. Hunt/TM - To look statesmanlike this week as votes are cast.
3. Boris - To embarrass Hunt.
4. US - To embarrass Trump.
5. EU - To drive a wedge between the UK/US.

Trump's main weapon is he reacts to events and tries to profit from them... He clearly wants an Ambassador he can get on with and your right that is a sovereignty argument and he can take a running jump off a short pier.

I wonder why, these days, this is an issue. I quite like Trump but he regularly comments - very publicly - about UK issues; the performance of HMG, Brexit, etc. He shouldn't expect to be able to blaze away, and then object to criticism coming the other way.
I don't think he has publicly said anything as bad as those memos about HMG

He should be removed, not because he has done anything wrong but because Trump is unlikely to have much to do with him now.

The thing to remember is that Trump has been brought up cocooned from reality, the result is that he actually believes his own rhetoric.
He has never realised that he's been surrounded by "yes men" all of his spoilt life and has never been told no and "wind your neck in diickhead".
He thinks he is a great Statesman and businessman, when he's actually the complete opposite.

Latest Threads