HK53 / L101A1 - Earliest Usage?

BomberHarris

Swinger
Was doing some personal research into the army's usage of the HK53 and I'm stumped on when they were first issued, obviously everyone's seen the semi-recent photos of RMP CPU with them, but from what I can gather, during Op Banner COP and various sneaky beaky types like 14 Intelligence Company also used them, but the question I'm stuck on is what year they first saw service. I've seen a couple posters on here mention seeing/using the HK53 during their service and was wondering if anyone has any more information on what sort of timeframe they remember seeing them.

po.jpg

We used them in 1989 if that’s any help.

Was doing some personal research into the army's usage of the HK53 and I'm stumped on when they were first issued, obviously everyone's seen the semi-recent photos of RMP CPU with them, but from what I can gather, during Op Banner COP and various sneaky beaky types like 14 Intelligence Company also used them, but the question I'm stuck on is what year they first saw service. I've seen a couple posters on here mention seeing/using the HK53 during their service and was wondering if anyone has any more information on what sort of timeframe they remember seeing them.

View attachment 612091

Can’t answer that question, but wassat capbadge? Looks like it might be a blacked out Monkey badge with plain blue beret?

Can’t answer that question, but wassat capbadge? Looks like it might be a blacked out Monkey badge with plain blue beret?
That’s exactly what it is. RMP CPU, most likely in the province.

When Hezbollah launched a suicide bombing against the US embassy annex in Beruit in 1984, they did so when the British ambassador was visiting.

ISTR that Tony Geraghty's The Bullet Catchers recounted the incident, which - to cut a short story even shorter - saw the UK ambassador's CP team send the bomber on his way to claim his 72 raisins (or whatever it is) a bit sooner than had been intended by Hezbollah. Geraghty's account has the HK53 being used to deliver the good news to the bomber (who missed the underground car park he was aiming for, thus ensuring that while the damage from the blast was considerable, it occurred above ground and didn't cause the annex to collapse.

Also, thinking about it, 'Andy McNab' references the HK53 being used during the contact in December '84 which saw the death of Cpl Al Slater MM.

they were phased out during 2006-7 to I didn’t take one to Baghdad when I deployed late 2006 and when I came home in 2007 I bought a couple back with me that had been swapped for diemarco’s/C somethings by the teams out there

Boxy

GCM
We ran a range day for the embassy staff in Kabul, that was one of the weapons that turned up, along side HK416s and L22s, this was in 2010

begbie

Old-Salt
When Hezbollah launched a suicide bombing against the US embassy annex in Beruit in 1984, they did so when the British ambassador was visiting.

ISTR that Tony Geraghty's The Bullet Catchers recounted the incident, which - to cut a short story even shorter - saw the UK ambassador's CP team send the bomber on his way to claim his 72 raisins (or whatever it is) a bit sooner than had been intended by Hezbollah. Geraghty's account has the HK53 being used to deliver the good news to the bomber (who missed the underground car park he was aiming for, thus ensuring that while the damage from the blast was considerable, it occurred above ground and didn't cause the annex to collapse.

Also, thinking about it, 'Andy McNab' references the HK53 being used during the contact in December '84 which saw the death of Cpl Al Slater MM.
The 53’s had been binned by the time I went to Beirut, we were carrying HK G3A’s.

4(T)

LE
A TSM of mine - who was between 14 Coy tours - mentioned that there was a 5.56 HK to replace the 9mm and 7.62 versions they had. At the time he was chuntering about the fact that there was no 5.56mm ammo or weapon in the BAOR system to do pre-tour training with - we were based in Germany.

The 5.56mm would have been the HK 53, the 9mm obviously the MP5, and the 7.62mm - possibly the custom shortie HK coincidentally just featured on the Forgotten Weapons channel.

He was speaking in 1984, but would have been referring to his province tour in 82/83.

they were phased out during 2006-7 to I didn’t take one to Baghdad when I deployed late 2006 and when I came home in 2007 I bought a couple back with me that had been swapped for diemarco’s/C somethings by the teams out there
They were still being used on the course in 2007, but they were really showing their age. I think we were one of the last courses to use them.

Last edited:
A TSM of mine - who was between 14 Coy tours - mentioned that there was a 5.56 HK to replace the 9mm and 7.62 versions they had. At the time he was chuntering about the fact that there was no 5.56mm ammo or weapon in the BAOR system to do pre-tour training with - we were based in Germany.

The 5.56mm would have been the HK 53, the 9mm obviously the MP5, and the 7.62mm - possibly the custom shortie HK coincidentally just featured on the Forgotten Weapons channel.

He was speaking in 1984, but would have been referring to his province tour in 82/83.
It’ll have been a G3 firing 7.62

Latest Threads