HIV in the workplace

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by Infiltrator, Jun 5, 2010.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Quick scenario, I've just been told that an ex colleague of mine has just found out that he is HIV +. He/she (no names/no units) has told his immediate boss. The question is, does he tell his colleagues? Obviously he/she will be on medication, but, and I don't know the answer to this, is he/she, or should he/she be excluded from ops/exercises? Should his/her immediate work colleagues be made aware of the situation?

Would you want to know? Do you think that you have the right to know?

Just asking.....

2. Personally i don't think you DO have the right to know.

From an Army perspective however, I'm not so sure. Under normal (medical) circumstances, you'd treat everyone as if they were infected anyway, using PPE if you came in contact with body fluids/blood ect....but I'm guessing if one of your mates steps on an IED in the field, you don't stop to put gloves on.

Its a hard one

3. He/She is a health risk to others should he/she get injured which is likely if he /she is serving.

My own view is he/she should not be serving.

4. http://www.pfizer.com/responsibility/workplace_responsibility/hiv_aids_workplace_policy.jsp

quick google found this link - following is probably most relevant. As a 1st aider at my work place (an office) I would want to know - as about any other health problems which may impact on my role. It would be different in one work environment to another but there should be a HR policy in place. If someone is serving military it will obviously have more impact on close colleagues who have to do 1st aid in the field.
    "Promoting a Safe Work Environment
    Pfizer is committed to providing a work environment that protects colleague health and safety. This commitment recognizes that HIV/ AIDS cannot be transmitted through casual contact. Employees who know the facts about HIV infection and AIDS are less likely to react negatively or inappropriately to a colleague's illness. Therefore, Pfizer's global sites are expected to manage the risk of HIV infection in the workplace through:

Appropriate training, awareness, and education on the use of infection control measures in the workplace;
    Provision of appropriate equipment and materials to protect colleagues from the risk of exposure to HIV in the performance of their work;
    Appropriate HIV/AIDS information included in occupational health and first aid training"

5. From the wee bit of knowledge I have of this, the CO would be aware and the soldier would not deploy.

6. S/he needs an individual assessment carried out asap in order to ascertain which duties need to be stopped or altered. This is accessed via Med Centre who should refer for an occupational health assessment.

This protects colleagues, and - despite having career limiting potential as notes elsewhere - is in his/her own interests as the sooner s/he is in the system and receiving treatment, the better the life expectancy.

7. With the kind of injuries sustained on Herrick I do not think he/she should be deployed, when people get limbs blown off bone fragments are a worry, they can cut through surgical gloves and pierce the skin very easily, especially if the casualty is still concious and struggling, throwing HIV into the mix is an unnecessary hazard, and not fair to the combat/team medics that will have to respond to the incident.

8. As with any other injury/illness/condition the medical staff will produce a risk assessment for the individual looking at the post they are going into and the job they will be doing. Given that this is a medical matter you have no right to know any more than if the chap/lady is being treated for any other medical condition unless that person choses to tell you.

9. Can't see what the problem is. Just don't go shagging him *********** and you'll be fine.

10. I was under the impression that you were not allowed to serve if you had HIV> I'm dental and we treat everyone like they're infected with something, that was we're covered if we're not aware of it. But like bigbird says, if you're in the field and your mate is blown to pieces putting on a pair of gloves is the last thing I'd be thinking of.
    I wouldn't say as a work colleague you had a right to know about it, I suppose its down to the individual. I would imagine that not even all the medical staff actually know unless they have had to treat him in anyway.

11. Thought the same as you Mrs M, HIV positive= Med Disch. Dunno what the Army Regs say about it but the AP1269 was quite clear.

12. On the whole, I agree that you don't and probably shouldn't have the right to know.

But, we are not really in a civvie office job are we? There is much more likelihood of coming into contact with blood in our jobs and when administering first aid, then it's the last thing you would think of.

I think that a quiet med discharge would be the correct way to deal with it. No issues then and he/she gets to get a job in a call centre where HIV doesn't really come into play.

As an aside, in these litigious times in which we live, where would, lets say, a CO stand if he knew someone was HIV, that person was injured and then someone contracted HIV as a result of administering first aid to that person? Duty of care? Which overrides which DoC or personal privacy?

13. That's correct, we don't get told about HIV status although I THINK theatres are informed.

14. HIV is not automatic discharge. PAP2010 and Occ' Health hold the answers.