HIV and Needles in Public Places

Discussion in 'Health and Fitness' started by Murielson, Oct 7, 2005.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Been sent this mail by someone but thought I would share the contents. Make up your own minds guys:

I don’t know whether to believe this because I have heard lots of stories similar to this before so I am a bit dubious about this but I thought that I would forward this on anyway so you can make your own minds up.

(Just to note for outings to cinemas etc)

I have been forwarded the message below from a contact within the NHS -

think it is something that everyone should be aware. I have no reason

to doubt it's authenticity, the source is the wife of a DC in this

office.

"This message is serious and has been passed to us from Cheshire RFU.

Could you please cascade as quickly as possible as this came through our

NHS web page.

For your information, a couple of weeks ago, in the odeon cinema,

Festival Park, a person sat on something sharp in one of the seats.

When she stood up to see what it was, a needle was found poking through

the seat with an attached note saying, "you have been infected with

HIV".

The Centres for Disease Control in Birmingham, reports similar events
    have taken place in several other cities recently.

ALL of the needles tested HAVE been found positive for HIV. The CDC also reports that needles have been found in the coin return areas of pay phones and coke machines. Everyone is asked to use extreme caution when confronted with these types of situations. All public chairs should be
    thoroughly but safely inspected prior to any use. A thorough visual inspection is considered the bare minimum. Further more, they ask that everyone notify their family members and friends of the potential dangers, as well. The previous information was sent from hanley police station to all of the local councils in the Staffs area and was interdepartmentally dispersed. We were all asked to pass this to as many people as possible."

2. Got the same one. Believe it to be Böllöcks. A public health warning via e-mail from mates or co-workers? Nah! Not even our government is that tight...

3. Confirmed, it's total bollocks.

As with any of these chain letters, try googling on the catchphrase and "urban myth".

http://hoaxbusters.ciac.org/HBUrbanMyths.shtml has a list of such myths; look at "Needles on Theatre seats".

4. Even if it is bollox, it may give some lunatic the idea.

5. At least we know. I will certainly be checking in the near future if in that position - and at least I now know what to do with my used syringes!!

6. Used to be the drill for civvy bill in some areas to carry a short plank to place on car seats of recovered/stolen cars for this reason, but I'd suggest this isn't worth losing sleep over even if it is gen.