Hitler Triumphant edited by Peter G Tsouras

ARRSE Rating
4.00 star(s)
Alternative Histories of World War II

This is a series of short stories of the “What if” variety which I know many people do not like, but these have been very cleverly written and edited to be very plausible scenarios.

The stories range from Hitler winning the war to peace breaking out. What would have happened if Churchill, or Hitler had died in aircraft crashes, a theme used by several writers and perfectly feasible. There are also discussions around Moscow falling to the Germans, Stalingrad breakout by 6th Armee, Gibraltar attacked after Spain joins the war, Malta being invaded, Eisenhower’s dilemma as he send the invasion forces to France in 1943, USA not joining the war and actually backing Italy. A huge variety of events which had they happened could have totally altered the course of the Second World War.

AH Triumphant 2.jpg

There are a selection of photographs, many of which are well known, but the caption is changed to follow the “What if” elements of the stories, and done very well. Some of the authors have also gone to the lengths of drawing maps showing the actions being detailed in the story. The invasion of Gibraltar and the attack on Moscow are good examples of detailed maps showing the action.

The authors are a varied group of established historians and former serving officers from USA and Britain, most with a highly successful history of published works.

I am usually a bit wary about alternative histories, but this book is excellent, and the stories are very plausible; one actually brought an ironic smile to my face when I realised who the author was writing about, just in the last sentence, very neatly done and enjoyable, going from a ‘you can’t really be serious about this’ to ‘yes, OK, I see it now’. Just as a good story should. The writing is good and easy for even the most lay person to follow with ease. Obviously, I won’t know how you would receive this but several of these stories did actually leaved me thinking – well, what if…….!

4/5 Mr MRHs

Amazon product

Gout Man

LE
Book Reviewer
Alternative Histories of World War II

This is a series of short stories of the “What if” variety which I know many people do not like, but these have been very cleverly written and edited to be very plausible scenarios.

The stories range from Hitler winning the war to peace breaking out. What would have happened if Churchill, or Hitler had died in aircraft crashes, a theme used by several writers and perfectly feasible. There are also discussions around Moscow falling to the Germans, Stalingrad breakout by 6th Armee, Gibraltar attacked after Spain joins the war, Malta being invaded, Eisenhower’s dilemma as he send the invasion forces to France in 1943, USA not joining the war and actually backing Italy. A huge variety of events which had they happened could have totally altered the course of the Second World War.

There are a selection of photographs, many of which are well known, but the caption is changed to follow the “What if” elements of the stories, and done very well. Some of the authors have also gone to the lengths of drawing maps showing the actions being detailed in the story. The invasion of Gibraltar and the attack on Moscow are good examples of detailed maps showing the action.

The authors are a varied group of established historians and former serving officers from USA and Britain, most with a highly successful history of published works.

I am usually a bit wary about alternative histories, but this book is excellent, and the stories are very plausible; one actually brought an ironic smile to my face when I realised who the author was writing about, just in the last sentence, very neatly done and enjoyable, going from a ‘you can’t really be serious about this’ to ‘yes, OK, I see it now’. Just as a good story should. The writing is good and easy for even the most lay person to follow with ease. Obviously, I won’t know how you would receive this but several of these stories did actually leaved me thinking – well, what if…….!

4/5 Mr MRHs

Amazon product
Sounds very similar to another book Third Reich Victorious.

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor
Sounds very similar to another book Third Reich Victorious.
There are a lot of What If books dealing with WW2, this book I feel is among the better ones. I enjoyed it anyhoo.

Auld-Yin

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Reviews Editor

Latest Threads