Hitler planed on running Britain from Scarborough

New one to me, its in the Express and Star so must be accurate. He liked the look of the Grand hotel it seems and ordered the Luftwaffe not to bomb it.

I heard he (Hitler) was taken with Abertillery in Monmouthshire, and he ordered the Luftwaffe not to bomb the town - assuming they could find it.

Goatman

ADC
Book Reviewer
Hitler was a chippy? Had him down as a painter and decorator...still every day a college day on Arrse....

( Shome mishtake shurely?Ed.)

This is the moment, believed by historians, that his downward spiral to complete madness began.

Oi just Larfed. Memories of a Hotel that fell off a cliff sprang to mind.
This is the moment, believed by historians, that his downward spiral to complete madness began.
I know, I lived in Scarbrough for a very short time in the fifties in the aptly known Royal Crescent, but it was the best the army could find at short notice. =D

Wordsmith

LE
Book Reviewer
New one to me, its in the Express and Star so must be accurate. He liked the look of the Grand hotel it seems and ordered the Luftwaffe not to bomb it.
Given the bombing accuracy of the time, such an order would have been laughable. Indeed, when Harris carried out the 1,000 bomber raid on Cologne in May 1942, the trainee crews on the raid were under orders to take Cologne cathedral as their aiming point - the logic being that they wouldn't then actually hit it.

You see this sort of journalistic waffle from time to time; in reality, if you conquer a country, you set up in their capital to make the point. Thus, when the Germans conquered France, they set yup their HQ in Paris. And after Adolf took the Dignitas route, Germany was administered (symbolically at least) from Berlin.

I can't see any circumstances where the Germans wouldn't have administered a conquered Britain from London.

Wordsmith

Perhaps he had ideas of it being his "Eagles nest" in England. It's a striking building in Scarborough but apparently the interior is in a poor state of repair now.

You see this sort of journalistic waffle from time to time; in reality, if you conquer a country, you set up in their capital to make the point. Thus, when the Germans conquered France, they set yup their HQ in Paris.
As I recall, Paris was declared an open city and therefore was spared a lot of damage.

While accepting your point about propaganda value, I think it would be wiser to run the country from an intact group of buildings with an intact infrastructure and intact communications (including transport links).

seaweed

LE
Book Reviewer
Inside and outside the Grand Hotel, taken by me last week!

Grand Hotel 2.JPG

Grand Hotel 3.jpg

Quarry Hill flats in Leeds were supposedly ear marked for Adolf's Headquarters. They'd have been brand spanking at the time and right up his modernist alley. Though, every other place in the country has a similar myth I'm sure.

Hitler's would be evil lair:

The DHSS's on the same site today:

plus ca change etc.

cent05zr70

On ROPS
On ROPs
Hope you did not eat there, it’s had a few cases of food poisoning lately. It had to cancel its NYE party as well a year back due to an outbreak of botulism or some other nasty.
Wot do you mean,nasty?
I'm sure it's very nice if you're a botul

Inside and outside the Grand Hotel, taken by me last week!

View attachment 335323

View attachment 335324
Those pics took me back. I remember my first TA regimental mess dinner up that stairway and off to the left to a grand dining room c 1980. Annual camp being in Burniston (?) Bks.

Compare and contrast with my first regular mess dinner some 15 years before - in what was effectively a converted spider in Carter Bks Bulford.

I heard he (Hitler) was taken with Abertillery in Monmouthshire, and he ordered the Luftwaffe not to bomb the town - assuming they could find it.
Was he taken with it or did he consider it a waste of ordnance.

Mind you, the area is very mountainous so maybe he was after somewhere to build another Eagle's Nest.

Strange, I thought it was Winchester he had he eye on
Nah! He couldn't afford the house prices.

Quarry Hill flats in Leeds were supposedly ear marked for Adolf's Headquarters. They'd have been brand spanking at the time and right up his modernist alley. Though, every other place in the country has a similar myth I'm sure.

Hitler's would be evil lair:

The DHSS's on the same site today:

plus ca change etc.
I lived in Leeds for a couple of years and they insisted that it was the choice to rule Britain from a central point.
Like you say lots of places will have their myth.

Scarborough? Did he like rock then?