Hitler Hof

fire-lighter

Old-Salt
member: 12751"]Mate ref Blandford sorry I meant to give you an answer and it's a no from me I'm afraid![/QUOTE]

That's a real shame, I was hoping to meet up. Next time eh

plonker762

Swinger
I've had this vision of a NIG, can't now remember when (must've been 76-7), asking, "Can you use Swingfire at night? Does it have a trace?"
Just to put things right I did the Controller II course at Lulworth in 73. I was part of GW troop there too. We never fired Swingfire at night in Otterburn and none of the other units' students did either. And night firing was never mentioned during the course.

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
Just to put things right I did the Controller II course at Lulworth in 73. I was part of GW troop there too. We never fired Swingfire at night in Otterburn and none of the other units' students did either. And night firing was never mentioned during the course.
I sit and think, and remember our Swingfire troop was in fact pulled back out of the line at night. You're absolutely right.

plonker762

Swinger
I sit and think, and remember our Swingfire troop was in fact pulled back out of the line at night. You're absolutely right.
Fair enough mate. The night we did the night shoot (I think) was an experimental thing thought up by our Squaddie who was besotted with swingfire. Life in GW was the same as tanks in Germany - A to B cam up, B to C cam up etc

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
Have no idea what I was doing there in daylight.View attachment 444869
You weren't parked up/broken down there (I'm sure I remember one of ours breaking down there once), they wouldn't serve you so you put a blank through the window then?

You weren't parked up/broken down there (I'm sure I remember one of ours breaking down there once), they wouldn't serve you so you put a blank through the window then?
Don't you fkin' start.. :rolleyes:

elovabloke

ADC
Not through the window of the django, it happened in the 60's with a 105mm Cent blank at a pub around the Hohne range road.

Thanks for the link! I was in what was then 7 Fd Wksp in 1976 - 77. That aerial photo brings back a lot of memories. I managed to "walk" into Fally along Vogteistrasse and I think that I've identified some of the buildings which then housed watering holes. I wonder if they still do?
Recent Fally compared to 76/77 is one end of the spectrum to the other. Dead as doornails in the last few years. The few bars left often shut in the week and quiet at the weekend. Even the Hackett Club was sorely disappointing, none of the shenanigans of back in the day.

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
Not through the window of the django, it happened in the 60's with a 105mm Cent blank at a pub around the Hohne range road.
Yes. I already said that. This was merely a riposte to a story, referring to it.

Recent Fally compared to 76/77 is one end of the spectrum to the other. Dead as doornails in the last few years. The few bars left often shut in the week and quiet at the weekend. Even the Hackett Club was sorely disappointing, none of the shenanigans of back in the day.
I imagine that it's much the same in any of the old garrison towns in what was BAOR. Is there still a Brit presence in Fally? Or has everyone been withdrawn?

elovabloke

ADC
I imagine that it's much the same in any of the old garrison towns in what was BAOR. Is there still a Brit presence in Fally? Or has everyone been withdrawn?
All gone but there is an ex Tankie running the Fally Military Museum

Brit presence all gone now. Some towns have had other nations Armed Forces move in and I think this is happening in Fally to some degree at some time or other. Hard to imagine any other NATO Army filling the bars like the Brits did though. For me it was the eatery opposite Mr Drinks (with Bruni rushing around with plates of bratty and chips and large beers to wash them down with) then into Mr Drinks for a Saturday night in town. Both doing good trade all night long.

All gone but there is an ex Tankie running the Fally Military Museum
I toyed with the idea of re-visiting Fally (and also Paderborn and Minden) about 10 years ago in order to have a look around the museum and what was left of the Garrison area. I never got around to it...

Brit presence all gone now. Some towns have had other nations Armed Forces move in and I think this is happening in Fally to some degree at some time or other. Hard to imagine any other NATO Army filling the bars like the Brits did though. For me it was the eatery opposite Mr Drinks (with Bruni rushing around with plates of bratty and chips and large beers to wash them down with) then into Mr Drinks for a Saturday night in town. Both doing good trade all night long.
Is the NATO Lager still there? It was on the other side of the sports field that was out the back of the NAAFI block and Corporal's Club.
I used the Balkan Grill quite a lot. It was next to Fally train station and across the road from a bar we used to call 'Sid's place' ( I think Sid was ex-RA). I don't remember Mr Drinks or the eating place opposite.

Latest Threads