Hitler Hof

I was swinging the lamp a few nights back with another ex 3 RTR mate talking about initial Chieftain gunnery training at Bergen Hohne RAC Gunner School billeted with 13/18th Hussars in Jan/Feb 1975. We'd all passed off from JLR without it as we were the first 4 termers. I had a vague recollection of a concrete structure called The Hitler Hof in the middle of the gunnery ranges which we weren't allowed to target due to historical significance. I guess it was Hohne ranges. I can't find any photos or reference through Google/ BAOR Locations site/ Google Earth. I suppose it was destroyed due to its Hitler links by modern Germany.
Anyone got any photos/recollections?

I also recall a fantastic multi-bar disco a couple of miles down the road from 13/18th barracks. Bars around the sides and in the middle of the dance floor. Had some great nights there. As a nig on my first outside camp visit I remember using my Eng/Germ dictionary to request a lager and lime (it was the 70s!!!). The barmaid pissed herself. I'd asked for a beer and cement! Happy Days.

AlienFTM

MIA
Book Reviewer
I was swinging the lamp a few nights back with another ex 3 RTR mate talking about initial Chieftain gunnery training at Bergen Hohne RAC Gunner School billeted with 13/18th Hussars in Jan/Feb 1975. We'd all passed off from JLR without it as we were the first 4 termers. I had a vague recollection of a concrete structure called The Hitler Hof in the middle of the gunnery ranges which we weren't allowed to target due to historical significance. I guess it was Hohne ranges. I can't find any photos or reference through Google/ BAOR Locations site/ Google Earth. I suppose it was destroyed due to its Hitler links by modern Germany.
Anyone got any photos/recollections?

I also recall a fantastic multi-bar disco a couple of miles down the road from 13/18th barracks. Bars around the sides and in the middle of the dance floor. Had some great nights there. As a nig on my first outside camp visit I remember using my Eng/Germ dictionary to request a lager and lime (it was the 70s!!!). The barmaid pissed herself. I'd asked for a beer and cement! Happy Days.
I have a vague recollection that my mucker arthurthreebums (who seems no longer to frequent Arrse) told in his book Armoured Farmer (reviewed here, possibly still a sticky in the RAC forum) of a firing camp at Hohne of first day, first detail, Squadron Leader gives the command, 15 Chieftains, preloaded with Sabot, loose one off at the Hitlerhof.

It certainly existed, but in Scorpion we'd have been firing indirect off the QFC and I think the range staff might have noticed.

It’s in Hohne.

I did an exercise there around 2003, and saw it twice over the period of a week. Interestingly, the second time I saw it someone had had their ashes laid down next to it in a cross.

Took a photo, but the images are on an old hard-drive from a broken laptop, so I’ve never recovered them.

Couldn’t help but wonder if the ashes belonged to someone who was around at the time it was used by Hitler.

Also was told the story that the building was used for target practise until the 70s, when it was decided it was of historical importance.

PicsArt_02-04-05.18.45.jpg

Err, not the thread I was looking for...

I have a vague recollection that my mucker arthurthreebums (who seems no longer to frequent Arrse) told in his book Armoured Farmer (reviewed here, possibly still a sticky in the RAC forum) of a firing camp at Hohne of first day, first detail, Squadron Leader gives the command, 15 Chieftains, preloaded with Sabot, loose one off at the Hitlerhof.

It certainly existed, but in Scorpion we'd have been firing indirect off the QFC and I think the range staff might have noticed.
Thanks. I'll give it a read

It’s in Hohne.

I did an exercise there around 2003, and saw it twice over the period of a week. Interestingly, the second time I saw it someone had had their ashes laid down next to it in a cross.

Took a photo, but the images are on an old hard-drive from a broken laptop, so I’ve never recovered them.

Couldn’t help but wonder if the ashes belonged to someone who was around at the time it was used by Hitler.

Also was told the story that the building was used for target practise until the 70s, when it was decided it was of historical importance.
Again, thanks for your input.

The Hitlerhof was supposedly where Adolf used to come and watch the troops train. IIRC it was somewhere in the middle of the ranges. Just tried to find it on google maps, but no joy.
What is amazing is to see Fally camp totally devoid of any life. If you use the link below, the place seems like a ghost town. I know that it now houses refugees, but the view is worth a look
Google Maps

The Hitlerhof was supposedly where Adolf used to come and watch the troops train. IIRC it was somewhere in the middle of the ranges. Just tried to find it on google maps, but no joy.
What is amazing is to see Fally camp totally devoid of any life. If you use the link below, the place seems like a ghost town. I know that it now houses refugees, but the view is worth a look
Google Maps
Thanks for the link! I was in what was then 7 Fd Wksp in 1976 - 77. That aerial photo brings back a lot of memories. I managed to "walk" into Fally along Vogteistrasse and I think that I've identified some of the buildings which then housed watering holes. I wonder if they still do?

Google Maps
The amazing thing is that it hasn’t desolved into a total shite pit since the refugees have taken up residence.

Thanks for the link! I was in what was then 7 Fd Wksp in 1976 - 77. That aerial photo brings back a lot of memories. I managed to "walk" into Fally along Vogteistrasse and I think that I've identified some of the buildings which then housed watering holes. I wonder if they still do?
Talking of walking.....once a group of us had completed our gunnery we were posted to 3rd Tanks at Fally circa Feb 75, and after a few weeks some of us decided to revisit Zum Weinberg in Bergen. Having been driven over but declining a return lift as there was still drinking time (f@#$^&g idiots) we had to walk back around the external range road. It took all day in our ridiculous fashionable shoes and baggy trousers! Lesson learned? Don't be daft, I still wasn't 18!!

I think that the OP may be referring to something actually known as the "Hitlerhöhe" (trans: Hitler Heights).

43 Tankbataljon

The paragraph at the bottom of the page translates as:-

"A nostalgic photo of the most famous hill in the training area, the so-called "Hitlerhöhe". According to survivors, before WW2 Hitler watched his "panzer" troops practicing from this bunker. Over the years the bunker was eventually shot to pieces and, therefore, only the hill now remains."

Which explains why it can no longer be found on Google Earth.

It’s actually on the artillery ranges. When I was an AIG I had to oversee some chain gun firing with the RA from Gutersloh. As usual they were late arriving on the range so I had a chat with the range warden who was very knowledgeable about the Hitler Hof. It was built in 1933/34 as an observation post for the artillery with a room set aside for the party bigwigs to also enjoy the barrages. The man was positive that Hitler never attended but Goering did.

I think that the OP may be referring to something actually known as the "Hitlerhöhe" (trans: Hitler Heights).

43 Tankbataljon

The paragraph at the bottom of the page translates as:-

"A nostalgic photo of the most famous hill in the training area, the so-called "Hitlerhöhe". According to survivors, before WW2 Hitler watched his "panzer" troops practicing from this bunker. Over the years the bunker was eventually shot to pieces and, therefore, only the hill now remains."

Which explains why it can no longer be found on Google Earth.
Thanks for that. It all makes sense.

It’s actually on the artillery ranges. When I was an AIG I had to oversee some chain gun firing with the RA from Gutersloh. As usual they were late arriving on the range so I had a chat with the range warden who was very knowledgeable about the Hitler Hof. It was built in 1933/34 as an observation post for the artillery with a room set aside for the party bigwigs to also enjoy the barrages. The man was positive that Hitler never attended but Goering did.
Nice one PULL UP A SANDBAG. When would you have been there? I recall some ranges set aside for Swingfire with wire trailing everywhere but was unaware there were specific artillery ranges, possibly because I only fired on it on 3 occasions (once being the infamous Stally brew up, when our Chieftain and crew was left behind on a range move during firing to do the usual bask broom job, and ended up first on scene on the range road - with the exception of the rescuing German chopper crew complete with General!) This was 75-76. Do you recall which ranges were set aside for Arty? I always had the impression the Hitler Hof was central to all ranges, but with your info probably not.

Nice to see the range map. Am I right in thinking that Range 20 was used for "Fin" commissioning because it had the longest "safety area".

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
MoleBath The Book Club 9
sirbhp The Book Club 0
ancienturion The Book Club 9