Hitler’s British Isles

Hitler’s British Isles

ancienturion

LE
Book Reviewer
ancienturion submitted a new resource:

Hitler’s British Isles - A description of what happened in The Channel Islands during WW2 as described by some inhabitants

In 1940 people of Great Britain waited for the Germans to invade with the intention of occupying the British Isles as soon as their attempt at bombing the country into submission had succeeded. That invasion never happened because of the resistance put up against the bombing campaign. Further south the Channel Islands although not technically part of the British Isles, being Crown Dependencies, rely on the British for their defence. That defence was not forthcoming so the Germans invaded and...
Read more about this resource...

There is a similar book by John Nettles (yes, the Bergerac bloke) called “Jewels and Jackboots: Hitler’s British Channel Islands” which is worth a read.

Probably covers a lot of the same ground.

I remember reading a book called 'Jersey Under The Jackboot' as a kid.
Whilst I can recall reading it, I can't remember anything about it!
Wow, you can still grab a used copy on Amazon! -

It’s fertile ground.

I also have Outpost Of Occupation by Barry Turner

The Channel Islands 1941-45 by Charles Stephenson

The Changing Face Of The Channel Islands Occupation by Hazel Smith

The Channels Islands At War by Peter King

Living With The Enemy by Roy McLoughlin

The Model Occupation by Madeleine Bunting

And a few others. Be interesting to see a new perspective on the occupation.

It’s fertile ground.

I also have Outpost Of Occupation by Barry Turner

The Channel Islands 1941-45 by Charles Stephenson

The Changing Face Of The Channel Islands Occupation by Hazel Smith

The Channels Islands At War by Peter King

Living With The Enemy by Roy McLoughlin

The Model Occupation by Madeleine Bunting

And a few others. Be interesting to see a new perspective on the occupation.

ancienturion

LE
Book Reviewer
What I didn't include in the review (because it wasn't mentioned) was the fact that last time I was out there the crab from Alderney used to be both real tasty and prolific. I was told it was because the crabs found plenty to eat during the war when the Germans were throwing dead slave workers into the sea off the coast, hence the crabs formed a large population which still exists.

There was a letter in the Times back in the 70s from some old Indian Army Colonel Sir Bufton-Tufton type.

He said that the highlight of his week was his Saturday lunchtime prawn curry cooked by his “man”. Big plump juicy fresh prawns. Yummy.

One day he was walking alongside the Ganges for the first time. He saw the putrid rotting corpses floating down it. Covered in big plump juicy prawns.

End of prawn curries.

Last edited:
There was a letter in the Times back in the 70s from some old Indian Army Colonel Sir Buffon-Tufton type.

He said that the highlight of his week was his Saturday lunchtime prawn curry cooked by his “man”. Big plump juicy fresh prawns. Yummy.

One day he was walking alongside the Ganges for the first time. He saw the putrid rotting corpses floating down it. Covered in big plump juicy prawns.

End of prawn curries.
End of prawn curries and the start of Long Pig? Nothing tenderises meat like brining....

diverman

LE
Book Reviewer
In respect to the Channel Islands, the book by Tom Freeman Keel's book From Auschwitz to Alderney and beyond.Difficult to get hold of, but quite chilling in places. he mentions the underground hospitals on the islands had the same 'ward'dimensions as the gas chambers in Birkenau, a rail line inside, gas tight doors and no walls ending in a right angle but curved, easy for washing down. Make of that what you will.

seaweed

LE
Book Reviewer
A naval contemporary of mine was a Jerseyman and evacuated with his family - they were put on a train and eventually decanted in Bolton, Lancs.

The fortifications on Alderney are massive as are the scantlings of the hospital and so forth on Guernsey. The Russian and Polish slave labourers were deliberately treated with appalling cruelty by their sadistic German masters and worked to death.