Hit A Pothole & Wrecked My Car.

Discussion in 'Cars, Bikes 'n AFVs' started by spike7451, Mar 30, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. spike7451

spike7451 RIP

On the way to Newtownards this evening & I hit the mother of all potholes in my Pug 206.It was about a foot wide,three odd foot long & about 3 inch deep,my car kept going for about 100 yards & then died,the engine diagnostic light coming on & would'nt restart.
    So I called my mate Sam who came out,tried towing it but no go so parked it up in a bus stop so we went to a local mechanic & arranged for the car to be picked up & taken to the mechanics shop.£50.
    Anyhoo,that's more money I dont have as I'm still unemployed,car tax is due this month as well.
    I took photos of the pot hole as I intend to claim off the Road Service,someone had been at the hole as it was marked for repair.I'm also fully comp so am I right in thinking that my car repair will be covered?
    Any advice chap?
  2. Because it's a Poo-geot?
  3. It will dpend on your local highways people. They have (or at least used to years ago) have set criteria of holes etc that they will accept will cause damage.
    I once took the sump out of a Cortina on a manhole cover in roadworks, they refused to cough up as it was within the tolerances that they were allowed when leaving a protrusion sticking out of the road surface.
    It will be luck of the draw I'm afraid. It will depend entirely on wether the regualtions say that pothole was big enough to warrant closing off that section of road whilst awaiting repair, if not then they probably won't entertain your claim.
  4. Advice? Yeah move the **** away from Norn Iron
  5. msr

msr LE

6. spike7451

spike7451 RIP

Well chaps,
    No damage to the car but it turns out it was the fuel cut off that done it,in all it's cost me £60 so I'm not going thru my insurers but going to wait on the Roads Service,I also sent a E-Mail with photo's to my MLA,Lady Hermon.
    Cheers chaps,

Here's the hole.
    You can see where it's been repaired before.

7. BuggerAll

BuggerAll LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

I would not want to go into that on my bike. Is that a skidmark on the lower right side? If so its obviously caused grief to at least one other road user.

The fact that they've marked it off means they know its there - go after them.
  8. They have 28 days to make repair after they become aware of the defect. Why your MLA ? contact Road services or the Police take note of Police Inc number contact Road services Monday ask for a claims form but don't hold your breath the yellow paint shows they are aware. You will fill in a long form waste time and all for nothing or contact your insurance and let them act for you and try and recover your excess good luck.
  9. Whereabouts on tne Newtownards road is that hole, my car could do with a few repairs??????
  10. spike7451

spike7451 RIP

It was repaired on Wednesday according to the homeowner I spoke to who's house it's outside.Apparently it's been repaired a few times & he's seen people taking photo's ect before.
    The darker area lower left is a previous repair.
    cbgramc,Lady Hermon's my MLA & E-mail sent,got the claim form from the Roads Service,
    dennis,it's the Donaghadee Rd going into Newtownards.