History Question - Montgomery/RLC

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by Handsome, Jun 7, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hello, would anyone here be able to tell me if the RLC were the ones who would have taken care of General Montgomery's command caravans and moved those around for him? Thanks kindly...

2. I doubt it would have been the RLC, the RLC has only existed since about 1992.

3. I could be wrong, but seeing as though the RLC wasn't around at the time, it might have fallen to the RASC.

4. Mr_Fingerz

Mr_Fingerz LE Book Reviewer

Well, given that the RLC didn't come into existence until 05/04/93, the answer is likely to be "No".

However, the RASC might have had a hand.

Bggr beaten to the smartarse answer.

5. RAOC

tenofthefinestletters

6. Thanks, back to the drawing board!

7. RASC, surely?

8. I seem to remember seeing Monty's caravan in the RAOC museum at Deepcut in the 70's..

This would seem to suggest that it came from the staff clerk trade RASC which merged with RAOC in the 60s...

9. In the 1970's it was |RCT not RASC.

Clue Deepcut was RAOC: They'll store anything.

"Stores is for storing"

10. R34, seeing as the OP was on about Monty and WWII, it would have been the RASC

11. Who,s Shurley?

12. Div HQ units in my time were made up of something of a job lot of drivers derived from units within the Div, ours was a Trooper from The Royals. Certainly RASC Clerks, also some REME around for repairs etc. If Corps HQ and Army HQ were to have office and caravan wagon drivers, if it was any specific Corps at that time it would be RASC if anything. But if the General or senior G people wanted their own men they could come from any unit or corps.

13. My uncle Albert Thomas apparently drove the staff car for Montgomery during WW11. He was from Ellesmere Port and i believe he was in the RASC.