History of Ebrington Barracks, Londonderry.

Discussion in 'ARRSE Social, Events & Networking' started by rmgbem, May 25, 2008.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I'm doing some work on my memoirs.

I did several tours on Op Banner in Ebrington Barracks in the 70's and 80's. I recall a ships mast and figure head outside what I always presumed to be the original guardroom. From that I assumethat the site was originally a Royal Navy establishment.

Question is: does anyone please know the name of the figurehead or the site before the took over?

Thank you in anticipation of sensible replies!

2. ships mast was not there early 90's, figure head was situated by the med centre below RHQ am wracking my brain for the name of the ship it was from... and where it went 2 on closure.

b_s

3. A history of barracks in Londonderry

link

4. HMS Sybil or HMS Sybille i seem 2 remember.

5. Fcuk me, 2 years there, never knew that :oops:

6. Thats coz it wasnt near the bar!!!!!!!! When u there Htb?

7. 98-2000 but break out the nasty! :D

8. 'HMS Sea Eagle' I think.

Unless Basil was in residence when it would have become HMS 'Sybil!'.

9. nope.... Hms Sea eagle was name of Navy camp.

10. I was there in 2000/01 for a year and a bit, never knew that either!

11. Which became Ebrington Bks when the Navy moved out and the Army moved in.

• Like Like x 1
  12. I was there in 1972, but I don't remember a figurehead (but it was a very long time ago). I remember there was a US Navy unit not far away on the Ballykelly road (communications centre, I think). We weren't allowed to mix with them as I think PIRA had warned them off.

13. There was indeed a very gaudy ship's figurehead nailed to a tree above a wall down past the original gatehouse. As children (our father worked in the Anti-Submarine School and had an office below the wall) we called her Saucy Nancy. On a recent damp visit to the rather spoiled site I asked the guide about her whereabouts and was told curtly that she had been removed and sent to Southampton.

Rather a pity, I thought, as Saucy Nancy represented a calmer time in the site's history, nineteen fifties/early sixties, when the only security needed was a low wall gradually rising along the Limavady Road.

• Like Like x 1
  14. Growing up in the town, we referred to the location as both Ebrington Bks and HMS Sea Eagle. BADAL's post explains the 'official' changeovers. Nice to see the HMS Ferret mentioned. There's be some Int. Corps types who like myself will have worked with a few 'characters' from this ship.