History of Crime

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by OldRedCap, Mar 12, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Not sure about the ethics of this. What I want to bring to attention is my review of a book that is in my blog for today. It is very long and would take up such bandwidth that would make Good CO a Bad CO to me.
    It refers to Peter Hitchens book "A brief history of crime". I think it deserves to be read by anyone who seeks to make learned comment here on the trials and tribulations of today.

2. Careful ORC, I started a thread yesterday, hoping to stimulate a debate about recruitment and it was binned by the moderator who obviously was the spawn of the reason first cousins should not breed.

3. Most of my working life - as sybill and as a civvy - was spent working with thick-headed self-serving mirror loving bstards so the actions of those who would have been better aborted do not amaze or worry me. Thanks for the tip though.

4. As an historian I can confidently assert that crime has always been with us, especially in times of economic hardship. It is basic Lockean philosophy after all. However, we live in a time of increasing technology and political will to control society. so rather than starting with road-pricing or cigarette addicition, why not tackle the historically unremarkable crime-wave?

5. It's worth reading alone for the details of "Racist Murder and Pressure Group Politics" which is a little known study of the issues around the McPherson report.

Always useful to have a counter-point to received wisdom, though I think the author has lived in america too long as he rattles on a bit about private holding of firearms which seems a uniquely sceptic thing.

Rememer the first murder (Cain and Abel) was a domestic too!