History Geeks

Discussion in 'Military History and Militaria' started by Bigdumps, Jul 23, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I freely admit I am a history geek, all things military history, but especially WW1 and the Peloponnesian wars.

Just wondering how may history fans are on here what particular period they are interested in!

2. Confession time: I'm a history student - especially early middle ages, but I'm interested in most stuff.

3. Ventress

Ventress LE Moderator

WW1, colonials, British Army general history.

4. British India and Rome. Strange bedfellows at first glance but they have their similarities....

5. British Army from any era.
    I really enjoy getting inside other unit messes and browsing the walls and cabinets (sad I know).

6. WW2. German Russian campaigns

7. maguire

maguire LE Book Reviewer

world war 2, vietnam and military aviation history in general.

8. I'm with you Bd The Great War is the one that holds the greatest fascination for me. Has done for as long as I can remember, at least back to the age of about 6 listening to an older friend of my grandfathers who was one the old contemptibles (1st Cheshires) and had won an MM on the Somme...

9. All history.

It's our collective past. It is the story of ordinary people like us.

Forget or ignore history and we are destined to repeat our mistakes, perhaps all politicians should be tested before they are allowed to take office?

I now have the time to indulge my interest. The thing that strikes me is that even relatively recent events like the Great War and WWII benefit from personalisation.

Get close to the people where you can and the sense of reality is sometimes almost overwhelming.

The yellow house in the background is the Hitler household.

[​IMG]

In the cemetery is his parents grave.

[​IMG]

No matter how many times you see images or footage of someone, even someone as historically infamous as Hitler, it's not until you see the places and evidence of his life first-hand do you start to understand the reality.

10. Yup, I`m a confirmed history geek. Even got Honours for it...Doh!

British Army in WW2 for me. My friends think I`m obsessed with "The" War, to which I reply, "Not the war, but the men and women that fight `em". Ordinary people in extraordinary circumstances.

Nice piccies Clot, now that is devotion to duty :p

11. Ord_Sgt

Ord_Sgt RIP

With you there Cpl Clot - I love all history and read up on different ages as the whim takes me. I find it amazing that in some cases the course of human history turned on the decisions of a few men at a point in time. Standing where some of these men stood, Churchill in the war rooms in London for example, is something which I can't really explain. I guess kind of humbling......

Anyway, I've got a bee in my bonnet about the first humans at the moment, Cromagnon, Neanderthals and so on.

BTW a great book is Bill Brysons a short history of almost everything is a facinating read.

12. I have to own up to that tag as well. I've always read history books, especially military history.

I'm particularly interested in the history of Irish soldiers in the British Army and other armies (French, Spanish, Austro-Hungarian, US, Canadian etc).

My actual military experience is quite limited, I was a reservist in the Irish army for a few years back in the 80s (activities were mainly in the line of pie-eating and sheep-bothering IIRC :) )

13. Interested in the Purchase System and the Victorian Army in general.

Managed to blag my Uni dissertation on it!!

14. Yep me to, I'm intrested in British military in 1850+ and Vietnam

15. WW2 and Vietnam
    in particular, WW2: all airborne operations (both allies and axis*) and SOE stuff (incredible stuff)
    Vietnam: LRRPs (very alley men)

* one of the best pics ive ever seen has to be a Fallschirmjager exiting a Dornier over crete with no kit apart from a MG42 in one hand and a ammo box in the other!

Red