History for sale,...

Discussion in 'Int Corps' started by Milodude, Mar 18, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. B_AND_T

B_AND_T LE Book Reviewer

Not a bad price.
  2. Bloody cheap! But it is Kent.....
  3. And not only that, but Ashford,..:),...

According to the local rag it was up in December last year for £100k more, but failed to sell.
  4. B_AND_T

B_AND_T LE Book Reviewer

Anybody got £275000 I could borrow till pay day?
  5. And you will also aquire a fair dollop of my DNA deposited with the assistance of an obliging Int Corps girl from time to time.
  6. Auld-Yin

Auld-Yin LE Reviewer Book Reviewer Reviews Editor

No wonder the price dropped so dramatically !! :)
  7. That's the guide price,the reason it didn't sell is the last word in the description 'refurbishment',they are being a bit economical with the truth.

If anyone wants office space in and around Ashford,there are cheaper alternatives,with better access than Repton,and remember the planning is for offices,so a pub/restaurant is out. ;-)
  8. i remember cleaning out the attic space about 15 years ago. quite sad that it is now sat unused...

say what you like about ashford, but the camp had character! ^^
  9. Ah 'character' and I thought the Naafi just smelt of piss and wind.
  10. So sad to see The Manor up for sale. Almost demeaning, in a way, for it to be handled by (I assume) some sharp-suited civvy estate agent with no real concept of its history. Some of the architecture in the cellars looked pre-15th century to me - possibly even Norman. And what about the ghosts? No mention of the ghosts that terrified so many students (not to mention DS) in the wee small hours! But at least they've managed to spell Templer correctly.
  11. That's an odd link, subb; what the hell's this about: "...donated to the University of Calgary by the UK Ministry of Defence" - any idea?

12. Largely hearsay -

My understanding is that this is (a portion ?) of the MOD library formerly housed in central London. With the contraction of MOD real estate in town there was no room to house it. I certainly remember it being in Old Scotland Yard and then a tiny fragment being shelved in the MB library post refurbishment.

I have been told it was offered to KCL but refused. At one point portions were being 'reshelved' into skips by MOD - reportedly one DIS analyst/intelligence reservist/historian used to spend his lunchtimes skipdiving to save what he could.

At some stage the D Int of the day (Chris H) offerd to house it in Chix - in the 'old COMCEN?'. Again, I can recall seeing what I think was part of this collection on shelves in the Chix library - looking rather unloved. But the majority, as I understand it, remained inaccessible. I do know one military historian suggested to the corps they really should sort it out and, as he puts it, was told to 'piss off'. There was also supposedly an approach by a UK university who were willing to provide space - they were also rebuffed.

That's as much as I currently know - I'm not clear how it came to move from Chix to the praries.

To repeat, most of the above is hearsay.