Historical expertise required re Kings Regs, WW1 era

Discussion in 'Military Discipline' started by Shandy123, Jan 8, 2013.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Struggling to find the right forum for this, but it involves a ddischarge, so...
    Mods feel free to move it.

My mother is a bit of a family history fanatic, and while researching my great grandfather she has come up against an obstacle.
    She knows he was dis charged, but not why - see he email to a museum below:

Hello,
    I wonder if someone at the museum could help me with understanding my grandfathers discharge papers in relation to reason for discharge.
    I have looked up Kings Regulations on the internet but can't find this particular one.
    I am attaching a copy in case you wish to exaamine it for yourself.
    As I interpret it I think it says Para 392 xxv111 KR.
    He had reenlisted after returning from Mesopotamia in 1919. He served at Gallipoli and was wounded there, (shot through the mouth) and was at the fall of Baghdad. I have an interesting proclamation signed by General Maude, which he carried around in his pocket from Baghdad to the Balck Sea before returning home in 1919.

Perhaps someone on here could shed some light on possible meanings of this particular kings reg?
    I know the bullet exited his neck under his left ear, so perhaps this reg relates to deafness?
    I also know he was discharged from the Cheshires before the war when he was found to have omitted when joining, the fact that he was a father (he was 17 and ran off to join the army when he knocked her up). He rejoined for the war, I believe.

2. oldbaldy

oldbaldy LE Moderator Good Egg (charities)
    1. Battlefield Tours

3. that was a quick response!
    thanks - I had no idea he had done so long in service. I'll let Mater know anyway.

4. oldbaldy

1. Battlefield Tours

I only saw this by chance. Don't often stray in here but spotted the fam/mil history angle which IS where I go.

5. ooops done.

6. here goes: see it does look like iii, and your link for that reg only goes to ii

Attached Files:

7. oldbaldy

1. Battlefield Tours

8. also - I can't make out who he served with and when. it mentions Hampshire's, Manchester's, Northumberland fusiliers and South Lancs.
    Does it say "troop Sgt" for his rank?
    doesn't sound very infantry to me.

9. oldbaldy

1. Battlefield Tours

10. nice one!
    so, just boring old demob, eh?

11. oldbaldy

1. Battlefield Tours

Looks like it but I guess he's have been more than happy with that at the time.