Historical Accuracy

I was taught it as a young platoon commander in 1979. It's meant to incapacitate and not to cause serious injury or death.

They were plastic rounds by then.
Very strange. My time was later but from the very first time I was trained on it the emphasis was on hitting the person you were aiming at, not launching them indiscriminately into the crowd. The 20m minimum range was what was meant to stop them causing death or serious injury.

In the Downes case he was shot at a range of about 2m, but he was about to cause death or serious injury therefore the cop was easily able to justify using it at under 20m.

I was taught it as a young platoon commander in 1979. It's meant to incapacitate and not to cause serious injury or death
Indeed.

I never saw it employed anywhere but on the range, though.

I have some cracking pics of it being totally ignored (by that big blond Major I mentioned earlier) on my Facebook pages :) )

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
He could have been caught attending a gay drug-fuelled orgy. That would have got him kicked out. He’d then spend the rest of his life telling people his knees were dodgy after too many parachute jumps and had to leave.

Thinking of one unit I worked with in very early 90s, back when homosexuality was still an dischargeable offence, I recall one private was charged for getting others drunk so he could commit various acts. He was caught and beaten up before his discharge.
Those who beat him up were also charged and spent time away from the battalion.

Indeed.

I never saw it employed anywhere but on the range, though.

I have some cracking pics of it being totally ignored (by that big blond Major I mentioned earlier) on my Facebook pages :) )

I never saw it deployed, either, but now some are now providing insights best left unsaid.

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
To be fair most troops had problems with German beer in the 70s and 80s, too. What with it being roughly half as strong again as British beer.

British beer used to be similar but the state nannies watered it down and restricted opening hours during the Great War.
Whereas the beer in Hong Kong couldn't have been closer to water if it tried!

This ain't the NAAFI. Thanks.
Ok fair point, apologies. I've moderated my language. But my answer to that scenario- maybe depending on details like how far away the attacker is- is the same: that threatening someone with a scaffolding pole is threatening me or one of my blokes with death or serious injury. I'm pretty sure I'd have thought the same back in the day and it's not just a silly old sod getting punchy on the internet. Thinking about it, maybe I'd have shot it out of his hand though ;-)

Joshua Slocum

LE
Book Reviewer
I haven't painted anyone as a villain, but I understand your point about context.

It's a fictional character, so let's say he was on patrol, was whacked in the face with a scaffold pole by a youth who popped up from nowhere, causing a one inch long laceration on his forehead which bled profusely. Aggrieved at the attack, our character gives the lad what for, with various locals voicing their disapproval.

What is the next stage in this incident - typically?
Where does it lead to and by what process?

These are the details I'm after.
have you ever seen anybody belted with a scaffold pole ? they dont usually get up again
I have seen a few scaffolders whacked by accident they bled lots and had to go in an ambulance

have you ever seen anybody belted with a scaffold pole ? they dont usually get up again
I have seen a few scaffolders whacked by accident they bled lots and had to go in an ambulance
You're just bloody bad luck you are - people can't be in your presence without you discovering a rare endangered species of bat nesting in an electrical junction box that was one milliamp away from blowing the house apart or - WW2 bombs being discovered behind poorly fitted dimmer switches... and of course those bloody poor scaffolders...well - what did they expect! :)

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
For the record, am trying to think of other cases I was aware of in late 80s early 90s, mainly due to evidence on broken jaws, facial injuries!

A lot of bar fights, occasional disputes over women, argument over misbehaving wives. Not unusual at the time to see various folk on a Monday Monday with bruised knuckles, broken hands, missing teeth, broken jaws. Often mysteriously though they hand found time to have a hair cut and shave off their moustache.

Conversations often went along lines of
"who hit you?"
"No idea sir"
"Your jaw in fractured in 3 places, you're going to wired up for a minimum of 6 weeks, no solid food"
" It was Private X"

Joshua Slocum

LE
Book Reviewer
You're just bloody bad luck you are - people can't be in your presence without you discovering a rare endangered species of bat nesting in an electrical junction box that was one milliamp away from blowing the house apart or - WW2 bombs being discovered behind poorly fitted dimmer switches... and of course those bloody poor scaffolders...well - what did they expect! :)
Scaffolders used to be prone to drink, I think these days its frowned upon, I tended to keep well away from them especially Friday around 2.30
they got a bit gung ho and started to get silly
the daft gets

The death of Sean Downes, shot by a police officer with a baton round when he attacked another officer from behind with an iron bar. This was during disorder when they tried to arrest someone senior from NORAID who was in the country illegally and had just given a speech at a Republican event. The officer wasn't disciplined as it was a legitimate response to the threat Downes posed at the time.

I don't know where this idea that baton rounds were supposed to be bounced off the ground comes from, unless it was something that was practised with the original rubber bullets in the early 70's.
Thats the one.

smeg-head

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Scaffolders used to be prone to drink, I think these days its frowned upon, I tended to keep well away from them especially Friday around 2.30
they got a bit gung ho and started to get silly
the daft gets
Taffy, Jock, Geordie, Wurzel and Big Dave all witnessed this as they were on the balcony with me. I didn't see anything as I was trying to help Little Dave put the flames out on his Nomex with a couple of flash-bangs.

Taffy, Jock, Geordie, Wurzel and Big Dave all witnessed this as they were on the balcony with me. I didn't see anything as I was trying to help Little Dave put the flames out on his Nomex with a couple of flash-bangs.
What are you trying to say, fella? C'mon - spell it out, for god's sake man . . .

smeg-head

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
What are you trying to say, fella? C'mon - spell it out, for god's sake man . . .
The balcony was getting fecking crowded!

During Drumcree 1998 we were QRF in Lurgan RUC/PSNI station when we were crashed out to rescue some mong who had made his way towards kilwilkie with a Union Jack rapped round his shoulders.

We get to him just before the Natives did and it was a case of dumping him in the back of the wagon I jump back up to top cover as my mate Restrained him on the floor.

Some how he managed to sink his teeth into my right leg multiple kicks on the face from a size 9 combat high didn't remove his jaw from, my leg it took a fire extinguisher to achieve this taking a chunk of skin with him.

He was delivered to Lurgan RUC with a broken nose and jaw 14 hours later both myself and mate were charged with assault 3 days later PPS decided there was no charge to answer which was the right decision because if the other lot had got him a broken jaw would have been the last of his worries.
Couldn't decide which I wanted to give you , a Funny , informative or as like so take all 3