Historic RAF squadron disbands

Discussion in 'Royal Air Force' started by MoD_RSS, Jan 17, 2012.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

2. Yes another bit of history consigned to the scrap heap.

The final wartime mission, an attack on Hitler's mountain retreat at Berchtesgaden in Bavaria, was flown on 25 April 1945. Overall, the squadron flew 4,563 operational sorties on 481 raids and lost 148 aircraft (17 Manchesters and 131 Lancasters); a further eight Manchesters and 19 Lancasters were destroyed in crashes. Casualties were high; the squadron suffered 954 fatalities whilst its personnel were awarded seven Distinguished Service Orders, 115 Distinguished Flying Crosses and 92 Distinguished Flying Medals.
  3. BuggerAll

BuggerAll LE Reviewer Book Reviewer

I was staying in Linton last week. They were drowning themselves in booze when I arrived on Wednesday and were still going when I left on Saturday.

I can sympathise. In 1995 a regiment I had been in was disbanded and in 1999 the Company I was in was disbanded.

"March Off the Square and into history" is one of the saddest orders I've been given.
    • Like Like x 2
  4. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Well we have all been there!
  5. It was formed for a purpose and is no longer required - life moves on.
  6. You arrive in the place...they disband, your regt and coy disband around you...... You sir are a f***ing jinx
    • Like Like x 2
  7. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

I have a good friend who as a Rockape was considered in a similar vein, just about every unit or station he served in has been disbanded whilst he was there or shut the day after he posted out!
  8. One of my grandfather's old Squadrons - the two that he was especially proud of serving on were 49 and 207. Very, very sad, bu the first of many I fear.
  9. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

My Grandads was 415 binned in 45 and reformed in the 70's but amalgamated with a sister Sqn later. What goes around etc!
  10. I ahve been disbanded 3 times!!! I have now taken the hint and am in the process of leaving of my own accord!..although we have heard that my current outfit may be given the old heave ho too.
  11. You didn't pooh-pooh a pooh-pooh, did you?
  12. ugly

ugly LE Moderator

Then allow me to be the first on Arsse; "JINX!"