Hiroshima Day

endure

GCM
There's one of those time lapse animations out there showing a world map of which countries were exploding bombs willy nilly and when.

ETA: found it:

At least we had the sense to use other countries to test ours in ;-)

Er, I think the beginning of 42 was very much the second happy time! British bureaucracy be damned, it was the opening of the Eastern seaboard of the US that facilitated that.
Yes the US seaboard was the second Happy time. However, in the rest of the Atlantic things were not as happy. Here's some dull, but surprising numbers I turned up during my spigot research.
A ten pattern spread of depth charges had about 3% chance of a hit (Some sources say 1%, others 6%). In September 1941 we started fitting the Hedgehog Anti-submarine weapon. At its peak it had a hit rate of 28.5%. Doing some shitty maths that would have equated to double figures of U-boats sunk per month, instead of two or three. But due to various reasons it took nearly a year before the Hedgehog scored its first hit. Those issues were all easily fixable, but the UK fucked up. That we did should be one of the biggest scandals of the war, but it was all hidden under operational security at the time.

Those that know about the U-boat war will tell you the Germans would have been finished in a few months by that loss rate.

Weren't we a bit busy and on our own at the time?
We were all the way through the war!

Goatman

ADC
Book Reviewer
Some of my mates were discussing that hentai cartoon thing by studio gibbly - Grave of the Fireflies. I haven't seen it but it's about some kids living in Japan in 45. My mates were saying how sad it was.

I dared to say the little bastards had it coming. Cue massive meltdown with everyone calling me insensitive.

It's strange how you always hear about the USA nuking Japan but no one ever talks about the Rape of Nanking or Unit 731. In my opinion two nukes wasn't enough. Can you imagine what the Japanese would have done if they had nukes?

Erm....Anime possibly rather than hentai :)

Hentai - Wikipedia

Nukes or the Ivan's, the war ended and that has to be a good thing. Japanese civilians were lining up to repel the invading Allies with bamboo spears. With that kind of mentality it would have been a bloodbath.
Plus crude grenades, the plan for civilians to attack the Allied landings were known at Bletchley Park.

The Japanese Ambassador to USSR was summoned to Soviet Foreign Ministry and handed a note on 9 Aug 1945 informing him that Japan would be at war with USSR in one hour, Soviet attack commenced at that time. I think you will find this is the last time one nation state declared war on another. Guess Japs hoop was twitching at an Olympic gold rate and needed a change of undercracker's when he got home.

Goatman

ADC
Book Reviewer
Morning All,
From a local 'comic' a few days ago.

View attachment 495044

...and yet, until 2015 , Japanese courts refuse to acknowledge the use of 'comfort women' by the Imperial Japanese Army.

In 2007, the surviving sex slaves wanted an apology from the Japanese government. Shinzō Abe, the prime minister at the time, stated on March 1, 2007, that there was no evidence that the Japanese government had kept sex slaves, even though the Japanese government had already admitted the use of coercion in 1993. On March 27 the Japanese parliament issued an official apology.[130] On February 20, 2014, Chief Cabinet Secretary Yoshihide Suga said that the Japanese government may reconsider the study and the apology.[131] However, Prime Minister Abe clarified on March 14, 2014, that he had no intention of renouncing or altering it.[132]

On December 28, 2015, Prime Minister Shinzo Abe and South Korean President Park Geun-hye reached an formal agreement to settle the dispute. Abe again expressed his most sincere apologies and remorse to all the women and acknowledged that they had undergone immeasurable and painful experiences and suffered incurable physical and psychological wounds as comfort women.[133]

He stated that Japan continued to hold the position that issues relating to property and claims between Japan and the ROK, including the issue of comfort women, had been settled completely and finally by the Japan-ROK Claims Settlement and Economic Cooperation Agreement of 1965 and welcomed the fact that the issue of comfort women is resolved “finally and irreversibly” with this agreement.[133][134][135][136][137]

Japan agreed to pay ¥1 billion (9.7 billion; $8.3 million) to a fund supporting surviving victims while South Korea agreed to refrain from criticizing Japan regarding the issue and to work to remove a statue memorializing the victims from in front of the Japanese embassy in Seoul.[138]

Japan agreed to pay ¥1 billion (9.7 billion; $8.3 million) to a fund supporting surviving victims while South Korea agreed to refrain from criticizing Japan regarding the issue and to work to remove a statue memorializing the victims from in front of the Japanese embassy in Seoul.[138]
Here's a wedge of cash, now let's pretend it never happened.
Oh and removing statues seems to be quite popular amongst the uneducated.

...and yet, until 2015 , Japanese courts refuse to acknowledge the use of 'comfort women' by the Imperial Japanese Army.

In 2007, the surviving sex slaves wanted an apology from the Japanese government. Shinzō Abe, the prime minister at the time, stated on March 1, 2007, that there was no evidence that the Japanese government had kept sex slaves, even though the Japanese government had already admitted the use of coercion in 1993. On March 27 the Japanese parliament issued an official apology.[130] On February 20, 2014, Chief Cabinet Secretary Yoshihide Suga said that the Japanese government may reconsider the study and the apology.[131] However, Prime Minister Abe clarified on March 14, 2014, that he had no intention of renouncing or altering it.[132]

On December 28, 2015, Prime Minister Shinzo Abe and South Korean President Park Geun-hye reached an formal agreement to settle the dispute. Abe again expressed his most sincere apologies and remorse to all the women and acknowledged that they had undergone immeasurable and painful experiences and suffered incurable physical and psychological wounds as comfort women.[133]

He stated that Japan continued to hold the position that issues relating to property and claims between Japan and the ROK, including the issue of comfort women, had been settled completely and finally by the Japan-ROK Claims Settlement and Economic Cooperation Agreement of 1965 and welcomed the fact that the issue of comfort women is resolved “finally and irreversibly” with this agreement.[133][134][135][136][137]

One of the major issues Jack Hargreaves took to his grave was the refusal of the jap bastards to admit to their state sponsored war crimes.

Yes, I have no time for the Japanese government.
I like sushi and sashimi though, and that was a Chinese invention.

The Rockies alone are 3000 miles long and extend to 14000ft in elevation. No chance whatsoever of victory. Stupidity beyond belief.
They never intended to invade the Americas, only to convince the US to leave Asia to them.

The stupidity lay in a) not appreciating quite how important the non-colonised world was to US industry and b) how willing their targets would become to fight back once hit.

Just a reminder of the Potsdam declaration which the Japanese considered and rejected:

The Potsdam Declaration, or the Proclamation Defining Terms for Japanese Surrender, was a statement that called for the surrender of all Japanese armed forces during World War II. On July 26, 1945, United States President Harry S. Truman, United Kingdom Prime Minister Winston Churchill, and Chairman of China Chiang Kai-shek issued the document, which outlined the terms of surrender for the Empire of Japan, as agreed upon at the Potsdam Conference. The ultimatum stated that, if Japan did not surrender, it would face "prompt and utter destruction. (Wikipedia)
Where's Uncle Joe's take on the matter? Wasn't he a signatory too of the Potsdam Declaration? :?

Where's Uncle Joe's take on the matter? Wasn't he a signatory too of the Potsdam Declaration? :?
The declaration was made on 26 July 1945 in Potsdam. The Soviet Union had not yet declared war on Japan, so was not a signatory. Uncle Joe was keeping his cards close to his chest at that point and the nukes had not been dropped, so only the US and maybe the UK knew they were a viable option.

Plus crude grenades, the plan for civilians to attack the Allied landings were known at Bletchley Park.

The Japanese Ambassador to USSR was summoned to Soviet Foreign Ministry and handed a note on 9 Aug 1945 informing him that Japan would be at war with USSR in one hour, Soviet attack commenced at that time. I think you will find this is the last time one nation state declared war on another. Guess Japs hoop was twitching at an Olympic gold rate and needed a change of undercracker's when he got home.
The Soviet invasion of Manchuria was quite a big deal, but not generally known about in the west.

1.5 million Soviet soldiers took part with a shed load of tanks and artillery too.

I'm sure I've read a book on the subject but all I can really remember is that the Japanese Kwangtung army that they destroyed was considered to be one of the most prestigious Japanese armies and the only one remaining that hadn't been ripped apart elsewhere.

Hence the surrender (rather than surrendering because of the atom bombs).

You must have been listening to Canuck CBC this morning --- "The Murkans dropped a big on on Hiroshima all those years ago.".... never minding the Canadians who wound up As POW's as Hong Kong fell and scant sympathy displayed.
Sad. Canadians of the greatest generation are no doubt grateful that the bomb helped bring about the end of the war, but I guess they don't teach history properly in Canadian schools anymore if the current crop is that dismissive. .

Helped Japan see the light and surrender.