Hiroshima Day

Shiro Ishii was cut a deal by the US. Immunity for his research data,
As was Werner Von Braun. who, if there was any justice in the world, should have been dangling at the end of a rope alongside the so-called 'Good Nazi' Albert Speer.

Deeply weird indeed. I’ve posted this before, but just how the fvck did they hope to win? Smiting Pearl Harbor is one thing. To actually win, you have to occupy the ground. Which means assaulting through the Sierra Nevada, the Cascades, then the Rocky Mountains, crossing the likes of the Grand Canyon, Death Valley, thousands of miles of prairie (ie fvck all), enormous rivers, more mountains in Appalachia, more enormous rivers. Large tranches of land are dense forests. Not conducive to offensive ops, but perfect for defending.

The Rockies alone are 3000 miles long and extend to 14000ft in elevation. No chance whatsoever of victory. Stupidity beyond belief.
Add for good measure the gun toting good old boys "sans banjos" along the route.Rubbing their hands with glee at the prospect of a prolonged turkey shoot.

anglo

LE
"My words but a whisper, your deafness a SHOUT."

I heard we gifted them all our jet and aircraft technology too.
The Russians wangled a visit to a factory that made turbine blades, they wore soft soled shoes so to pick up waste metal in the lathe section, the factory actually gave them a piece of turbine blade.
Then the Russians made a plan to steal a jet engine, before the plan was put into practice a Russian company bought a jet engine from a British company
when you read on all the stuff we've given away it's enough to make you weep

Edit, I believe the engine was a goblin jet engine, the first Russian jets used a copy of it in Korea
IMMIC

EDIT See post #212

Last edited:
Just out of interest I was asked to give an estimate on producing a set of elevations for a building in Fort Halstead.
It was the most bland, uninspiring brickwork rectangle that you wouldn't look at twice on an industrial estate.

I had very little info to work from and had to go on Google Earth to get a better look.

Turns out it is a building of historical significance as the UK's first ever nuclear device was assembled there.
Never got to do the survey and drawings though, unfortunately.

The same MacArthur who wanted to use them against the invading Chinese in Korea?
Well by then he realized he let his occupation forces get slack and roadbound from being out of shape , and then the Chicoms disobeyed his wisdom and attacked

mercurydancer

LE
Book Reviewer
I recall a section in a book about a student who was in Hiroshima and woke up in a river with bodies floating next to him. He got out and made it home. To Nagasaki. I dont know what the Japanese for Oh crap not again is.

I thoroughly detested McNamara, He makes Rumsfeld look good.

He's the Jackoff who refused to chrome line the M16 Bores because it added US$2.50 to each rifle and men died because of him when the bores corroded and cartridges jammed tight.

He's the bastard who bombed North Vietnamese bridges instead of Paddy dikes which would have directly impacted the north's ability to feed itself, and sustain the war in Laos, Cambodia and South Vietnam

he had this thing called Project 100K which put men who were below physical and mental minimums into uniform and many were killed

I read once a Vietnam vet tried to throw him off the cape cod ferry as shark bait

Bodenplatte

War Hero
Using Japanese survivors for target practice isn't good form either.
Unfortunately in the Wahoo incident, most of the survivors in the water were Indian Army PoWs

HM Sub Torbay fired on German survivors on at least two occasions in the Med. Details were entered in the Ship's Log, and no action was taken against the skipper - a VC winner who went on to hold Flag Rank in the post war RN.

On the other hand, three German U-Boat officers who had fired on Allied survivors in the water were executed by firing squad at Luneburg in November 1945.

Victor's justice.

I thoroughly detested McNamara, He makes Rumsfeld look good.

He's the Jackoff who refused to chrome line the M16 Bores because it added US$2.50 to each rifle and men died because of him when the bores corroded and cartridges jammed tight.

He's the bastard who bombed North Vietnamese bridges instead of Paddy dikes which would have directly impacted the north's ability to feed itself, and sustain the war in Laos, Cambodia and South Vietnam

he had this thing called Project 100K which put men who were below physical and mental minimums into uniform and many were killed

I read once a Vietnam vet tried to throw him off the cape cod ferry as shark bait
Don’t worry mate, most of the bombs aimed at road bridges ended up in paddies anyway.

PFGEN

GCM
Uncle Joe knew only too well what was going on with Manhatten - there were more than enough left-leaning scientists on the project to keep him informed.
This was evident at the Potsdam conference. Truman mentioned something along the lines of new weapon/ technology that would change things in the East. Stalin didn't even twitch at the news as the communist sympathisers working on the Manhattan project had already told him everything.

Dropping two bombs was possibly the one thing that stopped Stalin pushing on past the Cold War borders. They couldn't guarantee that number 3 wouldn't be landing in Russia. If it hadn't happened Europe would look entirely different today.

As to dropping them, f**k em. In the words of Harris, they started it, I'll finish it (or words involving sowing the seeds and reaping the whirlwind).

The question that's now annoying me is, should it be pronounced hirosh-imma or hero-sheema?

The former sounds more of a stereotypically Japanese pronunciation.

endure

GCM
Don’t worry mate, most of the bombs aimed at road bridges ended up in paddies anyway.

Good,not enough the better idea was destroy the Norths ability to feed itself to divert resources away from the South

Latest Threads