Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hiroshima Day

Informed folklore has it that this co-operation started when SA promised Israel a homeland in the Transvaal for survivors of a predicted massive war in the Middle East.

In return, Israel shared certain atomic information and SA 'facilities' with the pledge that it would assist their defence with the new wonder weapons if SA needed it. This was in the 60s and 70s with SA having a 'few' things (now gone) just to be on the safe side.

Only speculative 'talk' mind you and nothing to do with the French wanting to be involved but rebuffed by SA. Elaborate gossip, nothing more...
SA controlled namibia, which had a few bits of uranium in it.
aaah, as if US/UK didn' t know?
And Koeberg nuke power station was built by the frogs.
And Blackburn/Bae did a bit of consulting at Atlas aviation when the bucaneers were modified to carry nukes...
and and and.

goodoldboy

MIA
Book Reviewer
SA controlled namibia, which had a few bits of uranium in it.
aaah, as if US/UK didn' t know?
And Koeberg nuke power station was built by the frogs.
And Blackburn/Bae did a bit of consulting at Atlas aviation when the bucaneers were modified to carry nukes...
and and and.
You're right chap but don't forget that it's only small talk after all, nothing in it ... ;-)

endure

GCM
"But the attitude of the American occupation forces began to change largely because of the start of the Korean War in June 1950. The United States had less interest in punishing Japan, an enemy-turned-ally.

In September 1950, U.S. Gen. Douglas MacArthur, as supreme commander for Allied Forces, reduced most of the sentences. By 1958, all those convicted were free. None of the death sentences was carried out"

Objects of outrage until they were useful again...

Objects of outrage until they were useful again...
Exactly the same as many convicted Germans. Imagine if the Allies had lost. Many or all of these crimes would have gone unreported. As it was most of them went unpunished. I often wonder what the Soviets got up to in their "hospitals".

In peace time with no enemy opposition.

As I said, any army could have done it.

Ahh, Bagration, where the soviets lost 770,880 men.
In comparison the UK military KIA, for the entirety of WWII, amounts to 384,000.

F'kin masters of warfare all right. Managing to loose twice the number, on one operation, than we did in the entire war. Equally, If I remember right, the destroyed army group had been stripped of manpower and weapons to move to another part of the front due to Soviet decoy operations.

700,000 if you include wounded and sick, who rather tended to re-enter the fray as the Russians were going forwards hundreds of miles.
Meanwhile, the Huns do rather like to omit that all the Germans who got sick or missing in Bagration were mostly dead or in a Gulag.

Russian dead were less that the Germans?

Russia:
178,000 killed or missing

Germany:
'Only' 130,000 German KIA but also 170,000 missing - aka dead or POW, same thing for a German

UK 384,000 dead - well remind me again how many years of high intensity armoured warfare did the and huge set piece strategic battles did teh British Army fight against 70% of the entire combat power of the Heer across a 2,000 mile front?

And please! Not that frigging meme again! 'the Russians/British/Americans only won because…'

Get over it. The Red Army utterly annihilated the Germans Main Force in 6 weeks and pushed it back 400 miles. Meanwhile in Normandy, after weeks of getting nowhere, we let most of the Germans walk away,.

lert

LE
700,000 if you include wounded and sick, who rather tended to re-enter the fray as the Russians were going forwards hundreds of miles.
Meanwhile, the Huns do rather like to omit that all the Germans who got sick or missing in Bagration were mostly dead or in a Gulag.

Russian dead were less that the Germans?

Russia:
178,000 killed or missing

Germany:
'Only' 130,000 German KIA but also 170,000 missing - aka dead or POW, same thing for a German

UK 384,000 dead - well remind me again how many years of high intensity armoured warfare did the and huge set piece strategic battles did teh British Army fight against 70% of the entire combat power of the Heer across a 2,000 mile front?

And please! Not that frigging meme again! 'the Russians/British/Americans only won because…'

Get over it. The Red Army utterly annihilated the Germans Main Force in 6 weeks and pushed it back 400 miles. Meanwhile in Normandy, after weeks of getting nowhere, we let most of the Germans walk away,.
You really are full of shit aren't you Meerkatz?

I mean if you want to somehow play Top Trumps with casualty figures you should probably take note of the 100k+ RN and RAF killed before you start chirruping on about the Sooper Soviets.

And then you can maybe Google the time the Russians had to dig a heavily entrenched and well equipped German Army out of ideal defensive terrain while their logs came over a beach.

I wouldn't bother writing a reply if I were you. Save us all the time and just post the Google link to how many Germans didn't walk out of Normandy. There's a love.

And then you can maybe Google the time the Russians had to dig a heavily entrenched and well equipped German Army out of ideal defensive terrain while their logs came over a beach.

Noooo! Photex said it earlier in the thread, the Russians are the masters of combined arms... Apart from the Navy.
Oh and the Air force.
But apart from that they've got Combined arms Perfected.

The declaration was made on 26 July 1945 in Potsdam. The Soviet Union had not yet declared war on Japan, so was not a signatory. Uncle Joe was keeping his cards close to his chest at that point and the nukes had not been dropped, so only the US and maybe the UK knew they were a viable option.
Uncle Joe knew only too well what was going on with Manhatten - there were more than enough left-leaning scientists on the project to keep him informed.