Hiroshima bomb pilot dies

Discussion in 'Current Affairs, News and Analysis' started by the_boy_syrup, Nov 1, 2007.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. the_boy_syrup

the_boy_syrup LE Book Reviewer

The commander of the B-29 plane that dropped the first atomic bomb, on Hiroshima in Japan in World War II, has died at the age of 92

Link

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/7073441.stm

In 1995, Gen Tibbets denounced as a "damn big insult" a planned 50th anniversary exhibition of the Enola Gay at the Smithsonian Institution that put the bombing in context of the suffering it caused.

He and veterans groups said too much attention was being paid to Japan's suffering and not enough to its military brutality.

2. R.I.P.

3. A brave and skilled pilot whose successful mission shortened the war and saved allied lives.

I'm glad he made it to a ripe old age and to hell with anybody who criticises that particular days work in 1945.

RIP.

4. Trip_Wire

Trip_Wire RIP

I agree with you 100%

RIP General, you saved many lives!

5. It's amazing the contradictory emotions it evokes. My great-uncle, a Burma veteran, once said something along the lines of, "It was a bad thing. I don't think I would have done it, but I'm glad someone did." I think personally the only alternative would have been to drown the Japanese Home Islands in blood, theirs and ours. A price far too high, to my mind.

6. RIP.

Take your place in Valhalla...

7. People are conditioned to view the bombing of Hiroshima and Nagasaki with horrified awe.
    Compared to the conventional bombing campaign that preceded them, with widespread use of incendiaries against flimsy Japanese dwellings, the deathtoll of the atomic bombs was comparatively light.

Not that I give a flying fcuk what happened to the Japanese anyway. They had to be smashed and that meant using every available weapon. If the Japs had cared about women and kids they wouldn't have murdered other peoples; starting in Manchuria.

8. A brave bloke ,he saved many many thousands of allied troops lives, a invasion of the Japanese mainland would have been a horrific bloodbath

9. I'd have liked to have been on the plane he flew that day. A worlds first.

Famous last words: Mayor of Hiroshima.."What the f*ck was tha..."

10. Just goes to show you. All that crap about atomic rays killing you off. Here's a guy exposed to the full monty on day one....and he lives to 92!!

ps: Shame about all the little nip killers ....must have got too close after all!

11. A brave and skilled pilot.... Yes. Not a shred of doubt about that

..whose successful mission shortened the war and saved allied lives.

Well read this, then decide for yourselves

http://www.doug-long.com/hiroshim.htm

For some who are accustomed to the popular beliefs about this matter, this study may be discomforting, although that is not its intent. But if we learn from past occurrences, it may make our future decision-making abilities more capable of saving the lives of our soldiers and sailors and of people on all sides.

Also worth noting the following views, which differ from what some might expect:

...in [July] 1945... Secretary of War Stimson, visiting my headquarters in Germany, informed me that our government was preparing to drop an atomic bomb on Japan. I was one of those who felt that there were a number of cogent reasons to question the wisdom of such an act. ...the Secretary, upon giving me the news of the successful bomb test in New Mexico, and of the plan for using it, asked for my reaction, apparently expecting a vigorous assent.

"During his recitation of the relevant facts, I had been conscious of a feeling of depression and so I voiced to him my grave misgivings, first on the basis of my belief that Japan was already defeated and that dropping the bomb was completely unnecessary, and secondly because I thought that our country should avoid shocking world opinion by the use of a weapon whose employment was, I thought, no longer mandatory as a measure to save American lives. It was my belief that Japan was, at that very moment, seeking some way to surrender with a minimum loss of 'face'. The Secretary was deeply perturbed by my attitude..."

Dwight Eisenhower, Mandate For Change, pg. 380

"MacArthur's views about the decision to drop the atomic bomb on Hiroshima and Nagasaki were starkly different from what the general public supposed." He continues, "When I asked General MacArthur about the decision to drop the bomb, I was surprised to learn he had not even been consulted. What, I asked, would his advice have been? He replied that he saw no military justification for the dropping of the bomb. The war might have ended weeks earlier, he said, if the United States had agreed, as it later did anyway, to the retention of the institution of the emperor."

Norman Cousins, The Pathology of Power, pg. 65, 70-71.

(Norman Cousins was a consultant to General MacArthur during the American occupation of Japan)

"...when we didn't need to do it, and we knew we didn't need to do it, and they knew that we knew we didn't need to do it, we used them as an experiment for two atomic bombs."

Brigadier General Carter Clarke Quoted in Gar Alperovitz, "The Decision To Use the Atomic Bomb", pg. 359.

12. If it didn't shorten the war it still falls under the category of condign punishment.

Although for what its worth, I think that the bombs would have been better dropped in a suprise attack on the Soviet Union.

13. Ord_Sgt

Ord_Sgt RIP

Far be it for me to question obviously great Generals but didn't McArthur request the use of nuclear weapons during the Korean war?

Hindsight is a wonderful thing, we'll never know if it was right though because the bomb was dropped, twice, and it ended the war. Remember we didn't start it but by god we finished it.

14. Yes, MacArthur is said to have had a cunning plan for Korea. A very modest and reasonable one too.

A 30 nuke carpeting from the Sea of Japan to the Yellow Sea to create a radioactive wasteland that would have prevented anyone from crossing it for 60+ years.

But he had lost the plot by then.

15. Anyone old enough to remember the BBC interview with Leonard Cheshire VC on the 40th (maybe 50th) anniversary of Hiroshima? It was the height of CND hang-wringing guilt about the use of the Bombs. Good old leftie BBC clearly expected Cheshire - this saintly man who had founded all his philanthropic homes (and who had flown as official RAF observer in the wing B-29 on the Hiroshima? mission) - to express some sort of contrite sentiment about the casualties. Cheshire stated (probably paraphrasing him a bit) something like: " I feel now as I felt then: nothing was too bad for the Japs after what they had done to us and others..". Classic! The BBC interviewer had no idea what to say next.... LOL