Hired van broke down, do I have a position to ask for discount

As per title

Spent four hours faffing around waiting for RAC then recovery vehicle after my shiny 23km only transit shat it's pistons out

It and me are being recovered to the hire place, then I have to do paperwork for another. Cross deck all the cargo drive home unload and return to get my motor

Oil water etc were fine when I picked it up

Not sure you have legal grounds for a discount, but worth asking. Firm may be interested in keeping some goodwill. Otherwise hire period should be extended to allow for time spent waiting, transferring cargo. If they won't do that, it's probably because the have it covered in small print as your problem. Them start muttering about "Not fit for purpose" and ask them if they know how much it would cost them to defend a case in small claims court.

Gout Man

LE
Book Reviewer
Discount? You broke it!:wave:

greyfergie

MIA
Book Reviewer
I think you could reasonably expect it to do what it said on the tin i.e. carry your goods to where you wanted to take it without a catastrophic failure - they'll be insured

Yes Sir, we'd be happy to offset the discount against the bill for recovery, new engine, and loss of business while it's off the road.

Hire companies are twats.

Discount? You broke it!:wave:
Yep just browsing some ******* horror stories on the internet.

Van moving, van makes noises, gimp pulls over, van dies, all fluids good, no warning lights, they can jog on if they think they are gonna stitch me up

What context was this in, are you acting as a business or a consumer.

If a business then you need to look at the Supply of Goods and Services 1982.

If a consumer then the Consumer Rights Acts 2015.

Both pieces of legislation are similar in what they entail, but the CRA 2015 gives you more rights.

Have a look, I think you are entitled to compensation.

As for the company, they go back to the vehicle supplier and will be protected by their contract and legislation.

Interesting. 23KM is well inside the "running in" period for the engine. If you were carrying loads well inside the recommended levels, at sub-motorway speeds, you should be eligible for an "inconvenience" discount. However, it's bloody unusual for any car to shit it's pistons this early unless there was a cock-up in the oil supply. Oil levels may show "good" but if there's a blockage in the system, it's not getting fed. However that's outside of your control, and you're only responsible for driving within their requirements.

I suspect they will pass on the out of pocket expenses to their insurers.

Like the rest said, you can only ask. If they say "no" you know not to deal with them anymore.

Yep just browsing some ******* horror stories on the internet.

Van moving, van makes noises, gimp pulls over, van dies, all fluids good, no warning lights, they can jog on if they think they are gonna stitch me up
Interesting. 23KM is well inside the "running in" period for the engine. If you were carrying loads well inside the recommended levels, at sub-motorway speeds, you should be eligible for an "inconvenience" discount. However, it's bloody unusual for any car to shit it's pistons this early unless there was a cock-up in the oil supply. Oil levels may show "good" but if there's a blockage in the system, it's not getting fed. However that's outside of your control, and you're only responsible for driving within their requirements.

I suspect they will pass on the out of pocket expenses to their insurers.

Like the rest said, you can only ask. If they say "no" you know not to deal with them anymore.
A sofa and odds and ends of IKEA gear.

Van limited to 70

Still sat in service station 4 hours later, cheers RAC

As per title

Spent four hours faffing around waiting for RAC then recovery vehicle after my shiny 23km only transit shat it's pistons out

It and me are being recovered to the hire place, then I have to do paperwork for another. Cross deck all the cargo drive home unload and return to get my motor

Oil water etc were fine when I picked it up
If you paid by credit card and over £100 you may be able to make a claim under SECTION 75 of the Credit Act 1974 against your credit card company if the Van Hire Company fobs you off.

Also if you incurred other expenses such as car parking fee's at the service station then you should be able to claim for those as well.

greyfergie

MIA
Book Reviewer
If you paid by credit card and over £100 you may be able to make a claim under SECTION 75 of the Credit Act 1974 against your credit card company if the Van Hire Company fob you off.

Also if you incurred other expenses such as car parking fee's at the service station then you should be able to claim for those as well.
Yep get a receipt for everything including your snap if you've been hanging around that long

Five hours from initial RAC call till recovery arrives. This is what puts the Great in Great Britain

ETA time correction

7 hours

Last edited:
Don't forget to mention to the company that you've already started 'blogging' about it on social media (OK, Arrse, antisocial media); but haven't mentioned their name yet. Some companies have started to care about their "social media presence". If they muck you about we can all start dissing them on faceache.