Hippy tries to to walk to India; gets as far as Calais

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/bristol/7270401.stm

A man who planned to walk from Bristol to India without any money has quit, after getting as far as Calais, France.

Mark Boyle, 28, who set out four weeks ago with only T-shirts, a bandage and sandals, hoped to rely on the kindness of strangers for food and lodging.

But, because he could not speak French, people thought he was free-loading or an asylum seeker.

He now plans to walk around the coast of Britain instead, learning French as he goes, so he can try again next year.

Mr Boyle, a former organic food company boss, belongs to the Freeconomy movement which wants to get rid of money altogether.
Mmm, a well-known adage about Proper Prior Planning comes to mind...

cpunk

LE
I heard him on the radio this morning. Hard to imagine a person more out of touch with reality. The fact that he had to work for 6 or 7 hours a week had prevented him from learning French, FFS.

When he gets to Italy is he going to call it off again until he's done a tour of France whilst learning Italian?

It's a nice enough idea but what a prize plonker!

I wish him luck with his attempt to walk around Great Britain's coastline relying merely on the goodwill of people for food and accomodation.
I wonder if the bookies are taking bets on how many times he will be stopped/harrassed/arrested by chavs/police during this effort.
Freedom?!

OldSnowy

LE
Book Reviewer
On the Toady Programme, R4 this morning, the announcer sounded rather upset that the French "did not realise he wa a peace activist on a pilgramage, but rather thought he was an asylum seeker."

My heart pumps purple pish - peace activist on a pilgrimage indeed! Well done the Frogs - perhaps he should have paid more attention in school :)

I heard this on the way in this morning. He says he will now walk around the coast of Britain, AND LEARN FRENCH. Now I was a bit of a swot at St Agnelinas for the Bewilderd Infant and geography was a favourite subject. I do not recall France sharing a border with India, or have I missed something?

If I bump into him cadging his way around the country, I'll be more than happy to provide him with lunch, a hearty helping of knuckle butty with a side serving of derision and scorn.
Waster.

Lulworth Cove, IIRC... Hippy meets Rarden? I see a YouTube favorite in the making.

Cant wait for his overland crossing of Afghanistan or Iran!!! But then he will probably of already been picked up in Iraq by that athletics team that wear orange tracksuits! :cry:
Somehow, when they ask for money for his return, the bit about "getting rid of money" will disappear from his manifesto!!!

Mr Happy

LE
I like the idea that he's only learning french. Is he saying that they're the only tight fisted people he expects to come across between the GB and IN? I like him!

sarnian said:
Lulworth Cove, IIRC... Hippy meets Rarden? I see a YouTube favorite in the making.
I'm sure I saw a pic of a Phalanx on the back of a trailer somewhere on here.... Hmmmm Hippy meets Phalanx? It slices, it dices, cuts, chops and peels :twisted:

haha nearly laughed my c*ck off, f*ckwit (pouvez vous me donner quelque chose me manger et mettre vers le haut pour la nuit s'il vous plaît) still hope when he passes Barry Budden the live firing is taking place (targets will scream when hit), freeloading b*stard should join the rest of the freeloading scum in Westminster, they work about the same hours a week

sandmanfez said:
If I bump into him cadging his way around the country, I'll be more than happy to provide him with lunch, a hearty helping of knuckle butty with a side serving of derision and scorn.
Waster.
I'd just rape him. How can anyone be this stupid?

I saw him standing by the side of the road near Yeovilton looking very wet and miseragle as the icy cold wind cut through his thin cotton orange trousers and T shirt. Needless to say no one gave him a lift, then again I wouldnt go hitching on a country lane and expect to get far.

Retd_crab said:
I saw him standing by the side of the road near Yeovilton looking very wet and miseragle as the icy cold wind cut through his thin cotton orange trousers and T shirt. Needless to say no one gave him a lift, then again I wouldnt go hitching on a country lane and expect to get far.
And you never ran him down, bad drills, sir.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Harry_Boomers OTC and ACF 18
Speedy The NAAFI Bar 29
owee OTC and ACF 0