Hints, tips and questions in here

no f in beer

War Hero
Book Reviewer
not bad, good choice if you've had a break from the hobby for a while, built their M3 Grant, not at all bad. Throw up a few shots on the mm thread if you get a chance.

Thanks, will try and remember pics as the summer rolls on

the salt technique in one easy explanation. I'm currently working on a Revell 1/72 Millenium Falcon, and it's a project that's simmering away in the background, as it takes so long between coats, it's a real slow burner.
salt 4 a.jpg

so I'm not doing a thread on it, but it's ideal to demo the salt method, as it's taking a ton of the stuff.
salt 4 c.jpg

each grain of salt acts like a tiny mask, protecting the surface beneath it from the next coat of paint, so, it's only suitable to use with an airbrush, each coat of salt has to be brushed off then re applied before the next coat of paint.
salt 4b.jpg

the salt adheres to the surface by a spray of water, this is allowed to dry before the paint, varying the dry time, the distribution and quantity of salt, varies the finish and the end result.
salt technique peeling paint.png

this cracking paint effect was gained by not letting the water, that adheres the salt, not totally dry out.

Last edited:
you can go mad and use salt to create rust on a model.
final rust effect on hull a.jpg

or just on one small area of a model where it gets seriously worn and battered, like the wheel arches of a truck.
first stage of salt a.png

Last edited:
I mentioned washes above, this kit lends itself perfectly for a pin wash due to the extensive molded on detail, a bottle of enamel thinners, a container with some matt black, three brushes, thin, medium, and wide, thinner then dab of paint and the ultra thin paint finds it's own level, practice as always on a piece of scrap to get your technique perfect before you try it on your expensive model.
pin wash a.jpg

the effect, when you get it right, the thinned black finds it's way into recesses in panel lines and at the foot of fittings and bases, creating detail highlights and contrast.

A question on dealing with photo etch.
My current kit has decided to have PE bolt heads in a few places. Is there a good way of holding on to a 0.15mm thick, 0.3mm diameter brass disc and delivering it to an equally minute dot of cyanoacrylate?

Helm

MIA
Book Reviewer
A question on dealing with photo etch.
My current kit has decided to have PE bolt heads in a few places. Is there a good way of holding on to a 0.15mm thick, 0.3mm diameter brass disc and delivering it to an equally minute dot of cyanoacrylate?
Bit of blue tack on a cocktail stick, maybe?

WhiteCrane

Old-Salt
@robinrocket111 :: BZ on providing this showcase of your Dad’s work, and thereby encouraging so much discussion and education re technique etc. As a non-contributing observer I remain astounded at the quality of work amongst the contributors; regrettably, severe medication-induced “ducks’n drakes“ renders my attempts akin to those of my long-gone yoof. Carry On, all.
Aren't there special holders for that? also, Games Workshop has Contrast Paints which are good for you people. On Youtube, there is a bloke called MS Paints. He has MS and he says those paints are a GodSend for him! Also, certain techniques where you 'WORK SMARTER, NOT HARDER', will help big time!

WhiteCrane

Old-Salt
@robinrocket111 :: BZ on providing this showcase of your Dad’s work, and thereby encouraging so much discussion and education re technique etc. As a non-contributing observer I remain astounded at the quality of work amongst the contributors; regrettably, severe medication-induced “ducks’n drakes“ renders my attempts akin to those of my long-gone yoof. Carry On, all.
also use fine pens for eyes!

WhiteCrane

Old-Salt

WhiteCrane

Old-Salt

WhiteCrane

Old-Salt

WhiteCrane

Old-Salt
also special painting handles and grips for airbrushes for disabled people! 1 of the top Youtube modellers has MS, a guy called Will Pattison. https://www.youtube.com/user/barpfoto

First question of the new year:
Can anybody recommend a good way to replicate cloth/fabric for 28mm model figures. I have used the paper/tin-foil/paper sandwich technique for flags a few times, with fair success. I am now looking at how to create cloaks (both hooded and sniper type) for some figures, and think the sandwich technique may produce results which are too heavy duty for scale.
Thanks.

Helm

MIA
Book Reviewer
First question of the new year:
Can anybody recommend a good way to replicate cloth/fabric for 28mm model figures. I have used the paper/tin-foil/paper sandwich technique for flags a few times, with fair success. I am now looking at how to create cloaks (both hooded and sniper type) for some figures, and think the sandwich technique may produce results which are too heavy duty for scale.
Thanks.
Tissue soaked in a white glue solution?

Latest Threads