Hints, tips and questions in here

to fill windows with glass for small scale models like this RAF Recovery set coles crane cab, I use PVA glue.
crane test fit b.png

the glue can be purchased in any craft store, you don't need to buy the most expensive tubs of it, but if you have some wood workers pva wood glue knocking around it will do just fine. experiment on a square gap in a piece of sprue to get your technique right.
pva glue.jpg

get a splodge of glue on the end of a cocktail stick and rotate it slowly in the window aperture catching the pva glue and watch it gather in the hole and form a white covering barrier. leave it overnight to clear and harden. Don't overload the cocktail stick or it will run, like I say, practice on scrap to get experience before doing it on your nice expensive model.
cab windows  a.png

cab windows  b.png

to fill windows with glass for small scale models like this RAF Recovery set coles crane cab, I use PVA glue.
View attachment 525772
the glue can be purchased in any craft store, you don't need to buy the most expensive tubs of it, but if you have some wood workers pva wood glue knocking around it will do just fine. experiment on a square gap in a piece of sprue to get your technique right.
View attachment 525775
get a splodge of glue on the end of a cocktail stick and rotate it slowly in the window aperture catching the pva glue and watch it gather in the hole and form a white covering barrier. leave it overnight to clear and harden. Don't overload the cocktail stick or it will run, like I say, practice on scrap to get experience before doing it on your nice expensive model.
View attachment 525776
View attachment 525777
Thanks for that.

What sort of size would be the limit do you think?

Out of the blue, a niece has told me she would like to build a kit because she has always fancied trying that one day. It looks like the day has arrived; she is 15 and not particularly cautious.

In that age of screens, hearing such a request is really nice and I would like to give her a sound advice; she has told me it could be a civilian or a military theme, she does not mind either.

What would you recommend for a first try ?

Thank you

F

Helm

MIA
Book Reviewer
Out of the blue, a niece has told me she would like to build a kit because she has always fancied trying that one day. It looks like the day has arrived; she is 15 and not particularly cautious.

In that age of screens, hearing such a request is really nice and I would like to give her a sound advice; she has told me it could be a civilian or a military theme, she does not mind either.

Thank you

F
What sort of thing does she like? Because there is probably a kit of some type related to it. I would recommend a bust or figure as that's my thing, they have few if any parts so if she is more interested in the painting side you can get on to that pretty quickly.

What sort of thing does she like? Because there is probably a kit of some type related to it. I would recommend a bust or figure as that's my thing, they have few if any parts so if she is more interested in the painting side you can get on to that pretty quickly.

I think she is more into things than figures....but thank you for the tip

Smeggers

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
I would recommend the Tamiya kubelwagn kit shown below. Nice and easy with not too many fiddly bits.
s-l300.jpg
Should be enough to maintain her interest.

I would recommend the Tamiya kubelwagn kit shown below. Nice and easy with not too many fiddly bits.
View attachment 544428Should be enough to maintain her interest.
good call Smeggers, not too expensive or small and not difficult to make, being Tamiya it'll be precision fit of parts, and not too many of them either, she can brush paint it, unlike a car or civil aircraft that need a smooth gloss finish. an impressive to make first kit, great choice.

I would say to her, build it and take piccies and post them on the Airfix Tribute Forum, or Brexitmodeller that will encourage a young model maker. You don't want her mixing with a bunch of old Squaddies.

Surely it should be a Spit?
Its always your first one.

offog

LE
As part of my amazon prime I get free magazines (paper ones not bullet carriers) for my Kindle and this month they have Scale Aircraft Modelling and Military Modelcraft International. The only problem is that they are not in colour adn the pictures are small even when enlarged.

Thank you

F

So did you get her a Tamiya Kubel, did she follow it up and make it?

Gentlemen of ARRSE, have any of you fine fellows used this stuff to varnish your finished models?
This stuff is about a fiver a can where as Humbrol varnishes are double the price.
Also, does anyone have any recommendations for a 'cheapish' varnish that wont break the bank.
I have tons of varnishes by ak, vallejo, mig etc but using them means applying them via my airbrush. And I can't really be arrsed to atm.
Happy to accept abuse for being a lazy fecker!

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210226-192711_eBay.jpg
    Screenshot_20210226-192711_eBay.jpg
    311 KB · Views: 13

Helm

MIA
Book Reviewer
Gentlemen of ARRSE, have any of you fine fellows used this stuff to varnish your finished models?
This stuff is about a fiver a can where as Humbrol varnishes are double the price.
Also, does anyone have any recommendations for a 'cheapish' varnish that wont break the bank.
I have tons of varnishes by ak, vallejo, mig etc but using them means applying them via my airbrush. And I can't really be arrsed to atm.
Never used it and as with any new product, I'd do a test piece first. Keep us posted.

agree with Helm, don't spray that on your expensive model till you've experimented on scrap painted with the same paints as those on your model, Can you imagine the words of abuse you'd use on yourself if it bubbled and lifted the paint.

agree with Helm, don't spray that on your expensive model till you've experimented on scrap painted with the same paints as those on your model, Can you imagine the words of abuse you'd use on yourself if it bubbled and lifted the paint.
Mate, gen dit. I have literally just finished building Academy's cheap and nasty panzer 4 ausf j. I spent nearly two weeks painting and weathering it. I picked it to put it away, and it slipped though my big fat sausage fingers on to the desk top, and the Commander's hatch broke off.
So I'm gonna add a couple of figures and some seafoam foliage to it now, and make a diorama.

Helm

MIA
Book Reviewer
I found out the very hard way that GW and Tamiya paints do not mix well

Latest Threads