Hints, tips and questions in here

Nice chez, if you're tighter than that, the cut off bottoms of coke, beer and other drink cans come in dead handy for paint mixing, they are, I find, especially useful for making up a wash, nice and shallow sided too.

offog

LE
A side cutting tin opener, you get two from a tin unless they are ring pulls. Only peasants and the poor drink beer out of tins and those who drink coke or any fizzy drink should avoided. :p

As an aside talking about peasants and the poor, I have just got my tax code for this year and it has finally dawned on me that my goal of never paying tax again will never be achieved.

smeg-head

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Few uses for empty plastic bottles. I'm sure some will be of use to us Modeller's.....

smeg-head

ADC
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Nice chez, if you're tighter than that, the cut off bottoms of coke, beer and other drink cans come in dead handy for paint mixing, they are, I find, especially useful for making up a wash, nice and shallow sided too.
Along those same lines....
f2b8bf230f6c7eb78851d15aff35c2e0.jpg

th.jpeg

c32e91dd3dea2d6d6f4f67d50aa83fb7.jpg

I was in Aldi today and noted that they have packs of air drying modelling clay and oil paints at daft prices. The clay was only available in terracotta at the store near me but the display card stated it was in white too.
I'll use this on diorama bases etc.

Last edited:
Just stumbled upon this on YouTube.
Quite impressive.
(I don't think I'd want to be in any vehicle that was about to make that jump though)

Anyone have any tips for a newbie using an airbrush and paints on plane/vehicle?

Anyone have any tips for a newbie using an airbrush and paints on plane/vehicle?
thin your paint to the consistency of milk, see how milk acts when tilted to the side of a glass or cup, then allowed to wash back, observe how the milk flows back from the side of the glass, if you can get your paint to act like that it will spray with no problems, then practice as Helm says, on an old scrap model, or a discarded kids toy, make sure it's washed off of grease and, lets face it, shitty kiddy fingermarks. Then prime it with Halfords Grey primer from an air can.

daz

LE
Decent compressor with an air tank, recommendations are on this thread somewhere, undercoat is a must (some on here like Halfords rattle cans) decent spray-able paint rather than decades old humbrol enamels, and practice

offog

LE
youtube for all aspects of using an airbrush.

Keep it clean as bits of old paint will clog it up.

Stay well clear of Vallejo undercoat.

Get a cheap Chinese knock off to get you started ($24) and a good compressor with tank.

Many light coats are better than one thick one and attach small/medium item to something you can hold and use gloves. A cake decorating stand which turns is good for larger items.

Next big purchase is a spray box or make one.

Thanks - I will take a look at a harbor freight/Home Depot. Already have a compressor to use, just need paints/glue and get to work!

great that you're giving it a go, but remember to practice on something old first and not your brand new expensive model kit, what are you building first?
petrol truck mess condition.jpg

Helm

MIA
Book Reviewer
Thanks - I will take a look at a harbor freight/Home Depot. Already have a compressor to use, just need paints/glue and get to work!
make sure it's the right glue too, not being funny, the wrong stuff may not work or worse wreck the model.

make sure it's the right glue too, not being funny, the wrong stuff may not work or worse wreck the model.
The tamiya stuff seems to be the easiest to find here - same with paint.

great that you're giving it a go, but remember to practice on something old first and not your brand new expensive model kit, what are you building first?View attachment 452254
I have a tamiya LRDG jeep or a 1:72 spitfire so far - I think I will practice on the spit..I am sure the kids will want to 'help'.

offog

LE
Also think about the cleaning bottle and brushes. I have also acquired teeth cleaning tools from the wife,

1582747216900.png

Also very useful for cleaning the brush. Spend a little time on youtube.

As a starter your brush is ok but its life may not be very long and the gromets may break up.

Latest Threads