Hillwalking in Germany

Discussion in 'Travel' started by Pacifist_Jihadist, Jan 5, 2011.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. Hi all, at some point this coming summer i will be in south Germany with work. Im planning to take a week off to walk part of the Westweg trail running north south through the Black Forest from Stuttgart to Basel. Has anybody done this?

I only have a week to do it and its a 14 day trail. At the moment i am thinking of starting in Basel and walking to Freiburg as its the natural choice with transport links. Also initial estimated make it look to be easier so more time to actually enjoy myself. Im about to start proper planning into it, but any advice would be greatly appreciated.
  2. Catch the early bird ICE train from Basel.

It leaves shortly after 0600 and arrives in Freiburg 40 minutes later.

Cost. €15 single.

Plenty of cheap guest houses a stones throw from the bahnhof.

5 days on the lash.

Reverse procedure for homeward journey.

Enjoy the scenery from the train window, no need for muddy walking boots and rustling anoraks etc.

This doesn't help does it?
  3. why not go further south , and walk the hill route around the german side of lake Konstanz, Start at Radolfzell south east to Markelfingen along the Bodanruck hillwalk, stay overnight at karl Schleiths game and falconry park, follow the lake round to Uberlingen and on to Friedrichshafen, we used to do this walk twice a year with handicapped children , lots to see and lots of fantastic gasthauser and village breweries to visit, forget the hochschwarzwald bodanruck is the place to be!!
  4. The Schwarzwald is tedious, you walk in mostly in woodlands and see very little. The locals are often unfriendly inbreds types and the hotels are full of coach tourist pensioners stuffing cream cakes down their ferrets. Stunning S/Wald views are best seen in old postcards. The Harz area is even worse. My tip, head a bit futher south to the Alps and do some pukka ridge walks. The WW1 battlefield sites in the Italian dolomites are about as good as it gets.
  5. Alsacien

Alsacien LE Moderator

I did the Westweg (longer variation) 4 years ago - took 10 days to cover the 300kms.
    Still have the notes/maps etc
  6. Thanks for the info, very helpful. Going further south,especially to the dolomites, sounds excellent and a must for the next holiday.

But i am trying to build 7 days around the Freiburg area as a few old work friends come from that area. So im doing this as a holiday, but to also either visit them or get them to tag along.

cernunnos - Instead of walking through the southern part of the Black Forst/Schwarzwald would you recommend stucking more to the central/Freiburg area. Perhaps using Freiburg as a jumping off and return point rather than a starting or end point?

Alsacien - How did your experiences of the area compares to cernunnos'?

Arte et Marte - That does help, i hadnt gotten to sorting out a hangover friendly mode of transport home yet.
  7. Alsacien

Alsacien LE Moderator

Skip the Dolomites, nice but really expensive and crowded.
    Are you stuck to Frieburg? What radius/distance?
    The Westweg (like all these multi-day walks > a week) are more about the journey taken as an overall, there will of course be good bits and bad bits between them.
    There are some cracking day walks to be had in Schwarzwald, but the forest is heavily managed (cutting/planting/new access), so you need to know where to go, the people are fine too in my experience.
    I much prefer the other side of the Rhine valley, the Vosges (so much so I bought a house there), its 20-30 mins West of Freiburg. They also have long routes called GRxxx - google them if interested in big stuff.
    I would suggest a combination of both. The Vosges has some incredible WW1 and WW2 stuff too if you are interested.
    Going South you actually have to go a fairly long way into the Alps to get "better", but then you are talking proper mountains rather than things that compare to UK mountains in Wales and Scotland - which is roughly Vosges/Black Forest in altitude.
    Have tons of literature and maps if you need specifics.
  8. The area around Waldshut Tiengen is a good place to start any walk lots of good trails and paths, mind you at a push freiburg/basel area takes some beating, any where along the southern borders is heaven to me
  9. Why not hire a bike and do a loop of the Bodensee (Lake Konstanz )?
  10. must agree with alex start at Allensbach or markelfingen,