Hillsborough ...20 years on

Discussion in 'The Intelligence Cell' started by loggielad, Apr 17, 2009.

Welcome to the Army Rumour Service, ARRSE

The UK's largest and busiest UNofficial military website.

The heart of the site is the forum area, including:

1. I know its a few days late but just wanted to pay tribute to the 96 fans who were killed at the infamous Sheffield stadium.

20 years on and thankfully nothing like this has happened again in the uk, but it was a tragedy that never should have happened in the first place.

Alot of people have campaigned for justice- blame on the police for some of the actions that were taken.
    And blame for the many Liverpool fans who went into the ground without a ticket.

Thankfully lessons have been learnt, but like most things it takes something tragic for things to change.

RIP to those that went to watch a football match and never returned home.

2. I was in a house full of liverpool fans. 9 of them in liverpool shirts, me the only one with a chelsea top on for the game. Then the next day we all sat and watched the Memorial Service. It was really touching. It shows how liverpool is more than just a football team, they've alot of history behind them.

3. I was at the Everton v Norwich semi final that day, apparently that game was supposed to be played at Hillsborough initially but it was changed by the FA. We won but I cant remember a thing about the game apart it coming over peoples radios that there had been several people die at the ground. Drove back to scouse land (in a car with no radio) and went into the local with my dad and got told that at that point 76 people had died. Wasnt a nice day and the week that follwed when word got about regarding who had died from the local area was also pretty bad too. Seems very pointless 96 people dying for a football match.

4. Ticketless fans were in no way to blame for what happened. It happened because of piss poor policing. If SYP had tried, they couldn't have fucked up as much as they did that day.

5. I wasnt hinting that the Liverpool fans were to blame. Im saying blame was directed from both angles.

The police blamed the fans, while the fans blamed the police and the way in which the tragedy was conducted.

I dont know who was to blame. Maybe a mixture of both- mistakes were of course made by both parties...

I just wanted to pay tribute to peolpe who died on that fateful day, while they supported their football team.

6. I wanted to add something, wasn't sure what but would just like to say it was a reflection of the times, drunken fans, inferior stadiums,innocent fans being hurt, crap policing, crap legislation where fans wee presumed guilty instead of innocent just by being soccer fans. We had recently witnessed Heysel, Bradford and countless altercations between fans of most major european/international teams (no-one is really innocent here) with their opponnents when this particular nightmare happened.I don't agree with any national newspaper"' assumption of who is to blame but we should have the right to spectate in sports stadiums with safety and with that in mind the powers that be were found wanting.

7. Twit, and how do you work that one out, let me put you in this scenario, If you travelled to a game but did not have a ticket, would or would you not sneak in if a gate was opened right infront of you giving you access to the match, i think you would find the majority of people would of, especially as it was the semi-final of the Fa Cup. The gate should never have been opened

8. Same old same old. Does no one actually think for themselves or at least try to establish the truth.

Lord Taylor totally exonerated Liverpool fans and blamed South Yorkshire Police. Fact as Rafa would say.

They went to a football match ffs. Ordinary people and once again the establishment crapped on them from a great height.

Read and learn. http://www.contrast.org/hillsborough/

9. I read a few articles on the situation as I wasn't born when It happened.

And every article suggests it was poor policing and organization that led to the tragic death of the 95 in the ground and the other 1 person who died from injuries from the event.

10. I was not at the match that day but visiting my the GF in Liverpool ( Now wife )
    I can vividly remember walking down Bold street in the city center as the news was starting to break. There was a little stall at the bottom where people were starting to gather around ear wigging a radio that was transmitting the unfolding drama. We were due to go to the LFC club that night which we duly attended but the media had arrived so there was little to say or do. We then moved on to a Pub named the Cabbage a little further up the road. There I witnessed lads that in normal circumstance / appearance would have been labeled 'Scallies' These weren't! They were supporters recently returned from the match that had clearly been affected by what they had seen / experienced.
    Apart from calling scousers in jest at times and with all the false prov-ado and reputaion they attract, I saw the people of Liverpool in a light that has made me very fond of them and I have lived here for almost 20 years since.
    As in forces life, you give as you get here and are respected for it. I cannot say that for most places except perhaps for some, coincidentally UP NORFF.

11. Some of my mates went to the game one of them died and the rest were not the same for a very long time. The Police crowd control was fatally flawed but the whole situation could have been avoided if the FA had swapped the ends giving Liverpool with a much larger following the larger end rather than leppings lane, Liverpool FC had requested this but the FA refused. The extra 5000 places available at the other end would have prevented the tragedy. At least the police have finally taken responsibility for their poor performance but the FA have never admitted that they fecked up.

12. Is it not the case that ticketless fans trying to get into the ground caused the Police to make the (flawed) decision to open the gates? Tragic as this incident was, surely the senior policeman on duty would not have been put in the position to make this (again, flawed) decision to open the gates if the requisite number of ticketed fans had turned up that day.

I am not a football fan and am unfamiliar with the contents of the Taylor report, however, I just can't see around this fact; what am I missing? Were an incorrect number of tickets printed and sold to Liverpool FC?

13. It was a very different world back then. I remember watching Wales play at the old Cardiff Arms Park.Start drinking on the train, we herded ourselves in, streams of piss running down the steps. No women, tickets obtained from the club. Everytime Wales scored (not very often back then) the crowd would lurch forward. After being picked up a few times it lost the charm. I was 17. People forget, that's how shite it was back then.

And that's with decent, law abiding, rugby fans...

14. No, it wasn't.

The problems started on the motorway, where there were numerous holdups in the traffic that delayed Liverpool fans. Despite these delays, the police and FA refused to delay the kick off.

Approaching the ground there were no barriers, where the year before (when the same two clubs played the same match in the same stadium) there had been police checkpoints. These filtered the fans, catching those who did want to try and 'jib in' (and I dare you to find a single football match in the history of the game where no-one's tried it) and also slowed the approach to the ground, giving fans the chance to sort themselves into the turnstiles.

At the ground itself, the turnstiles at the Leppings Lane end were notorious for being old and extremely inefficient. There were also far too few turnstiles for the number of fans using them. The combination of no filtering of approaching fans and extremely slow entry into the ground left a huge crush outside which would probably have led to deaths or serious injuries unchecked.

Then, when the notorious Gate C was opened, the central tunnel into the stand was not blocked. To explain - the Leppings Lane end was split into pens, with tunnels entering the pens. The tunnels feeding the outer pens were tucked away and not obvious as you entered the ground, whereas the central tunnel was right in front of you.

[​IMG]

The two central pens that can be seen on the picture above were already filled when Gate C was opened. The police control box was almost on top of these two pens and the police had numerous CCTV cameras covering the stand, yet no attempt was made by the police or stewards to direct fans entering the ground to the other pens. Once fans entered the central tunnel, it was almost impossible for them to get out again, such was the crush built up behind them.

As the fans tried to escape from those central pens, Chief Superintendant Duckenfield (who was in command at the game and had almost no experience of policing football matches) called out reinforcements to stem the 'pitch invasion'. This despite the fact that fans were clearly dead against the fence. The police starting pushing fans back over the fence into the pen they'd just escaped from.

Ambulances were quickly called to the scene. The police, however, would not admit them into the ground due to 'crowd trouble' inside. Only one ambulance made it inside the ground. This left untrained fans trying to treat seriously injured casualties with no medical training or supplies. They were reduced to tearing up advertising hoardings to use as stretchers because there were no proper ones available.

The police, during this, were forming a cordon on the half way line to prevent Liverpool fans 'getting at' the Forest fans at the other end. Although some officers tried to help treating casualties, most were left standing around uselessly.

If you want to read more for yourself about the disaster and the aftermath, http://www.contrast.org/hillsborough/ is a good place to start, as is Hillsborough for Dummies

15. Couldn't have written a better post. Props to you