Hillary Clinton caught WALTING it up like a good un!!

why did Hillary Clinton say, more than once, that when she visited Tuzla in 1996 she remembered "landing under sniper fire" and that "there was no greeting ceremony, and we basically were told to run to our cars".
http://blogs.telegraph.co.uk/foreign/tobyharnden/mar08/clintonsbosniaporkypie.htm

Had Hillary Clinton's plane come "under sniper fire" in March 1996, we would certainly have heard about it long before now. Numerous reporters, including the Washington Post's John Pomfret, covered her trip. A review of nearly 100 news accounts of her visit shows that not a single newspaper or television station reported any security threat to the First Lady. "As a former AP wire service hack, I can safely say that it would have been in my lead had anything like that happened," said Pomfret.

According to Pomfret, the Tuzla airport was "one of the safest places in Bosnia" in March 1996, and "firmly under the control" of the 1st Armored Division.

Far from running to an airport building with their heads down, Clinton and her party were greeted on the tarmac by smiling U.S. and Bosnian officials. An eight-year-old Moslem girl, Emina Bicakcic, read a poem in English. An Associated Press photograph of the greeting ceremony, above, shows a smiling Clinton bending down to receive a kiss.
http://blog.washingtonpost.com/fact-checker/2008/03/hillarys_balkan_adventures_par.html

I was near Tuzla at the time as were many ARRSER's and I don't recall any sniper targeting the 'First Lady' either, and I would have heard about it if it had happened.

Any of you lot fail to report this attempted assassination on the wife of the President of the United States?

Come on 'fess up

Edited to add this link, the NT Times has a photo from the incident in question, there she is zig-zaging away...

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/03/25/us/politics/25clinton.html?_r=1&oref=slogin

Judging from the US News today she has been caught bang to rights and guilty of bigging up her military credentials - not to mention the fact that she is apparently personally responsible for peace in NornIreland.

Is "misspoke" American for "lying because I thought I would get away with it"

I have served in every conflict since time began...I have a chest full of medals....I am the head of the Secret Service....I am imortal....I believe in JPA...

Oh sorry, I mispoke, silly me.

mediumwhiteamericano said:
I have served in every conflict since time began...I have a chest full of medals....I am the head of the Secret Service....I am imortal....I believe in JPA...

You had me up till the JPA bollox.

I remember the '95 visit well as I was in Belfast at the time. Now it all becomes clear - that visit to the shop on the Shankill Road was in fact a cover for a meeting with Jonnie "Mad Dog" Adair. Nice of him to give her a bag of apples as a present!

LEGZ30 asked:
There are important and subtle distinctions in our US dialect of English. When ordinary citizens tell untruths it is called "Lying" but if a politician dislikes the citizens lie it is called "Committing perjury".

Politicians never say they lied, they say "I misspoke". If the politician is a Democrat the news media accepts this, if the politician is a Republican the mass media do not.

It is very important to realize that leading members of the news media NEVER lie. If worse comes to worse they have been "mislead by a source". When Dan Rather led the CBS news for two days with forged documents discrediting Bush's military service (laser printed documents dated 1973 FFS) "That was a mistake" not a lie

the_boy_syrup

LE
Book Reviewer
LEGZ30 said:

A politician lie? a possible future American president lie?
Good job my wah senses are working 100% you all most had me then :wink:

'Misspoke' is in the Oxford Dictionary right next to 'blow job'. Maybe its a Clinton family thing, lets re-invent the English language.

Certainly her recollections of her visit doesn't join up with the tv footage of the day.

Almost on a par with our very own Jonathon Powell and his 'secret' missions into Derry..... stood outside Trinity Hotel, three men sent from Macker, convoluted car journey through the city, taken to a modern housing estate on the edge of the Bogside where he had tea and biccies with the man himself. No one knew about it ???? Well if you say so Jonathon....if you really say so. JP International Man of Mystery, yea right!

Hi Alec,

Are you on about this idiot? Wouldn't stand out tooooo much I suppose?
The very grey and unremarkable man himself! Well done

My bold: You'd just about got away with it until that point. If only you'd stuck to the more credible stuff...

I'm not surprised about the NI bit, though. Every bloody politician on both sides of the Atlantic was apparently single-handedly responsible for the Prods and Taigs gamboling around like fauns in Arcadia. Why not her as well?

Just watched on Ch4 News the actual footage of the incident, overdubbed with La Clint talking about what she SAYS happened. Hilarious!

On a totally unconnected matter, but with a similarly Walty theme, what happened to the thread asking about the alleged AAC Walt, with the DSO, GSM/MID, Bronze Star etc, which surfaced a couple of days ago? I can't find it anywhere, have I missed something?

I think unfortunately as an American that none of the candidates are what we need. We need another Reagan right now.

None of them possess the Statesman qualities the US so desperately needs.

Obama has no experience and is running on an ambigious platform of "change". No military experience. No foreign relations experience.

Hillary will say or do anything to get elected. She says she has experience but shes still a JR senator herself. First lady I don't think counts as serving a political office. The military dislikes her and personally I think her morals and ethics are questionable.

McCain has the most experience and I would trust that he would not make a military judgement lightly (He still cannot raise his hands above should length due to the pow torture).

He has an ethic to him in that he is brutally honest. That is why he's not qualified for foreign relations work. In fact, I've read the term phrased that he has "political tourettes". There are also rumors of Colin Powell being his running mate. That would be a very interesting combo.

I will most likely be voting for McCain simply because he is the lesser of 3 evils and if we can't get the most qualified, then at least I choose to pick the most ethical of the bunch.

It is not only the United States that lacks quality leadership. I personally would very much like to see Colin Powell in the mix somewhere. He seems to be a man of character and integrity.