Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

Hill walking stupidity

German by birth, British by adoption and marriage, and now a septic. Makes for a fun time at passport control, Germans get really stroppy if I try to go in on anything other than a German passport. This time around I dropped all three on the counter for the Bundespolizei bloke, he smiled and said, "Ach, Jason Bourne. You only need to show your German passport Herr Effendi".

It is to do with immigration status. If I arrive on the German pass I can stay indefinately, if I arrive on the US pass I am limited and only have tourist rights to healthcare etc.

What happens when you enter the U.S.? Assuming you have to use the U.S. passport? I've never had anything else apart from the U.S., so don't know. Though, I will find out next year when I get a Brit one.

What happens when you enter the U.S.? Assuming you have to use the U.S. passport? I've never had anything else apart from the U.S., so don't know. Though, I will find out next year when I get a Brit one.

british-passport-color-gty-ps-171222_7x5_992.jpg

British passports

If you are a national of the country you are travelling from you must enter and leave with the relevant passport.

When you get the British one you will leave LHR showing your British pass and arrive in the US showing your US pass. Then on the way back you leave the US showing your US pass and arrive in the UK showing your UK pass.

If you are asked at passport control why there is no stamp/visa in your passport then you tell them you have dual nationality and show them the other pass.

If you are a national of the country you are travelling from you must enter and leave with the relevant passport.

When you get the British one you will leave LHR showing your British pass and arrive in the US showing your US pass. Then on the way back you leave the US showing your US pass and arrive in the UK showing your UK pass.

If you are asked at passport control why there is no stamp/visa in your passport then you tell them you have dual nationality and show them the other pass.
Good luck with that, it wasn’t so simple for me when I tried it

Usually works for me. I do have issues when buying plane tickets - you usually need to travel on the passport used to book the tickets on.

Indeed. There is a reason for the rules. The Thames is the busiest inland waterway in the country, and a working port, not a play park.

It's also, most of the year, bloody cold, and much faster than anyone thinks (or looks from the bankside).

A head and shoulders in the water is virtually impossible to see from the bridge of a working vessel in daylight, let alone the dark. It's why Swimmers in these environments have a support boat, sporting and ALPHA flag - not so much for the feeding etc. more to stop them getting run over.

Surviving an unauthorised and unsupported swim in the Thames is just sheer luck, and NOTHING to do with skill or fitness of the swimmer.

I have ended up in hospital more than once with a pretty serious injury due to wave power, and am/was more than capable of swimming across the Thames.
One of the first things that I learnt when in trouble in 20 foot waves and getting caught in a rip was not to fight it, Go with the flow, is where the saying comes from, tread water and what sucked you out will eventually pull you back in.
In the end I decided not to be the drunken ******** that I was thinking about being, because I thought that it might tempt others to do the same.
When a child, I along with my cousins used to swim in the docks and creeks around Bermondsey, sometimes getting close but not into the river to feel the pull of the tide.
This was mid seventies and if you were pulled out of the Thames in those days, it meant a stay in hospital for checks that you hadn't caught anything nasty.
According to a doctor friend of mine I have got massive antibodies in my immune system as a result.

I have great respect for the RLNI.

I think it was on VJ 50'th anniversary day so it was a while ago.