Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

Hill walking stupidity

Dunno whether it was just my iPhone but, around 18 months ago, on way home from work, it was driving rain, almost gale force winds, and fecking freezing. I was on my bike and the normal road I take was closed for some reason. I was lost so took off my gloves etc and tried to use my satnav to find another route. I was fecker if I could get my numb fingers to do anything of use on the phone and...with the addition of rain pouring on my phone, the phone wasn’t behaving as expected ...pressing the map icon would open up some other app etc.
Better than nothing if up shit creek on a mountain I suppose but...best of luck.
Its hard enough trying to understand what words a distressed person is saying w3w pings them at in a normal weather environment.
I have a Samsung Galaxy S10 that does the same in cold weather. Rain does screw the touch screen a lot, and the cold reduces the sensitivity substantially.

I have a Samsung Galaxy S10 that does the same in cold weather. Rain does screw the touch screen a lot, and the cold reduces the sensitivity substantially.
For reference I have one of these - A8 3GB+32GB | AGM Mobile

If you want the latest this and that and a decent camera, forget it, but its' proven itself down to double digit minus temps without any issues or battery degradation, dropped into deep puddles, stepped on, dropped from height, enough memory for loads of maps, seems to go for ages until charge is needed. Normal standard day use leaves around 90% battery, but I don't use it much for browsing etc...

I'll probably only update when the OS starts to creak too much - would go with the same brand again.

Have you encountered any use of the what3words app
In the rescues.
I have heard it touted as a solution to map incompetence, but I have concerns it may encourage the incompetents further, particularly if they find themselves in a poor mobile phone reception area, their battery has become chilled or drained of power etc.
It looks to be an interesting back up but no more than that.

Yes, I'm at the age where I'm suspicious of trendy technical things. Nothing wrong with the UK National Grid.

I'd guess the spec says something about recommended operating temperatures. I know "RTFM" is always a last resort, but it might be interesting to check?

I'd guess the spec says something about recommended operating temperatures. I know "RTFM" is always a last resort, but it might be interesting to check?
Dunno about temps, but -10 to +40 Celsius is about normal.
Also "IP68 dust/water resistant (up to 1.5m for 30 mins)"

When I was last properly current, about ten years ago, the 'reply with three blasts' had fallen out of favour, as it was found that when the target heard the three-blast reply, they would then stop sending six blasts and it then made them more difficult/impossible to find.

And yes, six flashes of a torch is most definitely a 'thing'. I was taught that in Cubs, Scouts, Cadets, Mil, Llanrwst and MRT!

When we had our Beneteau, 0a and I had Kannad Safelink Solos attached to our l/j harnesses (top tip, don’t ever tell SWMBO after a few glasses of post-arrival vino about how you were admiring the Milky Way when standing a solo watch at night, mid-channel and nearly went overboard :p)

Anyhoo, would that type of device be any good for MRT/emergency service casualty location determination in the ooloo? Or does COSPAS-SARSAT only cover the wet bits?

When we had our Beneteau, 0a and I had Kannad Safelink Solos attached to our l/j harnesses (top tip, don’t ever tell SWMBO after a few glasses of post-arrival vino about how you were admiring the Milky Way when standing a solo watch at night, mid-channel and nearly went overboard :p)

Anyhoo, would that type of device be any good for MRT/emergency service casualty location determination in the ooloo? Or does COSPAS-SARSAT only cover the wet bits?

Someone else will know for sure - but I don't think you're allowed to use that sort of thing on land. There's the occasional fuss when the Coastguard tracks one to a Transit van in Dorking, Solihull etc. I think SARLOC does the same thing for MR, locating mobile phone signals.