Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

Hill walking stupidity

It drops the defib on the casualty from 150m or so, delivering the coup de grace and everyone goes back to the pub.
In my mind’s eye, I see jet-pack-guy landing next to a casualty on a dry, grassy hillside and setting it alight, thus ensuring that a heart-attack suddenly becomes of lesser urgency to said casualty.

Very similar at Scafell Pike on Saturday. We stood and watched from Scafell and decided to head back down and not bother going to Scafell Pike.

From the attached:

“I managed to find somewhere to park and I had planned to take a quieter route up the mountain – but there were no quieter routes,” he said.

You will always find Crib Goch quiet....even so, I avoid Snowdon Massif these days, the Sports Direct/GoOutdoors crowd have ruined it

You will always find Crib Goch quiet....even so, I avoid Snowdon Massif these days, the Sports Direct/GoOutdoors crowd have ruined it

Bit of a drift, not so much on the hill, more on the road, the North Coast 500. Discovered it years ago, when it was just a quiet backwater. I'm not speaking from a selfish viewpoint, more a practical one. It's all they say in the bumf, but what about the infrastructure? Eating facilities, B & B, single track roads which very few are used to, and most importantly, toilets! I've no problem with finding a bush, others way not be so happy. Don't know if things have changed since it was first thought of, if so Fairy*'nuff, if not it's going to be a wee problem until it's sorted. Drift over.

*Lobby Dosser fans know who I mean.

Perhaps a defib is not all that's needed. Good short term solution but trained personnel will be required if there's to be any chance to save the victim.
If they need a defib on the hill they're dead. In an urban setting you have a 2% chance of survival with CPR and a quick ambulance response. Odds go up to 10% if there is quick access to an AED.

Those odds are pretty bad. On the hill if you need an AED the time taken to get it to you basically brings the odds to near 0%. Even if you are getting CPR that needs to be maintained all the while you're being carried off the hill.

The only thing that could save a cardiac arrest, MI or similar is if an air ambulance or coastguard heli gets to you bloody quick.