Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hill walking stupidity

Himmler74

On ROPS
On ROPs
It's a little known fact that Shap got its name because in Norman times the Abbot there couldn't decide on a name between shit or crap.
Before the M6 opened its populace consisted of quarrymen and their wives and daughters who did a bit of whoreing with overnight HGV drivers.
Also infamous in my youth for the most violent village hall dances in Cumbria.
Shap, like golf was named as such because shit had already been used. It’s like a step back into time, my late wife and I stopped at the best western hotel there in 2008, for one night, It was a mixture of faulty towers and Geust house paradiso.

Shap, like golf was named as such because shit had already been used. It’s like a step back into time, my late wife and I stopped at the best western hotel there in 2008, for one night, It was a mixture of faulty towers and Geust house paradiso.
For a few years at the turn of the 50s/60s, my father was what was known as a "Commercial Traveller", and frequently had to drive the old A6 through Shap in Winter (in a Morris Minor shooting brake). He used to talk about it with the same tone that he talked about fighting in Malaya as a virgin soldier in 1952.

You seem to have full blown angry and bitter “old and bold”, my sentiments For yourself are dont be a selfish idiot, by the summer we or the vast majority will be vaccinated and then have the ability to go for bimble in mountains or hills. Your CBRN dig is hilarious as if your mate works a porton down he wouldn’t mention anything to you as it is against the law, so either he has breached the OSA or you are bullshitting.

Again be patient don’t risk other people’s lives because you feel you should be above the restrictions.
No it's a she and yes a definite breach but then again that is what trust is about.

It's a little known fact that Shap got its name because in Norman times the Abbot there couldn't decide on a name between shit or crap.
Before the M6 opened its populace consisted of quarrymen and their wives and daughters who did a bit of whoreing with overnight HGV drivers.
Also infamous in my youth for the most violent village hall dances in Cumbria.

I don't think the M6 stopped that! I heard some tales from a mate who was in the area about 40 years ago. A nice earner - work a shift at the Services, make a bit more cash, then go home. Southwaite (?) at Carlisle also had a reputation.

The disagree from me is because of the end of your previous post.

"I love having a debate when it is necessary so the floor is open..."

There is no way your post, 1920, can be construed as a debate. You talk down to him, say you don't give a furk. The Oxford Union will be battering at your door pleading for you to enlighten them in the finer points of debauchery how to debate properly.
I did in fairness talk a little bit down and that was simply as I took the bait and bit at the original response to my comments. Nigh on everybody else who posts on this thread has understood what I am on about with our responsibilities and behaviour during" these times" as it is always referenced.
But I will not stand there and get a load of grief from somebody who thinks I am making my own rules up or talking shit. I may have some low standards at times ( I do frequent Alberetos thread quite often for the delicious imagery) but I do respect the laws of the land, my only point has being and I stress that I think that these guidelines that we have had, imposed upon us, and for good reason are for the most not law and open to interpretation by the issuing constable.
All well if there is a clear and concise ruling, but there is not, and no I am not talking about Wales or Scotland, in England there is nothing concise.
I am not saying that is a right let's go take the pi55. However I do think that the police are in some cases overstepping their actual role of dealing with criminality. In my local area you only need look at the news of stabbings, robbery, weed growers that get a brief glimpse however over 400 fines for covid breaches. It is a matter of focus.

wheel

LE
I did in fairness talk a little bit down and that was simply as I took the bait and bit at the original response to my comments. Nigh on everybody else who posts on this thread has understood what I am on about with our responsibilities and behaviour during" these times" as it is always referenced.
But I will not stand there and get a load of grief from somebody who thinks I am making my own rules up or talking shit. I may have some low standards at times ( I do frequent Alberetos thread quite often for the delicious imagery) but I do respect the laws of the land, my only point has being and I stress that I think that these guidelines that we have had, imposed upon us, and for good reason are for the most not law and open to interpretation by the issuing constable.
All well if there is a clear and concise ruling, but there is not, and no I am not talking about Wales or Scotland, in England there is nothing concise.
I am not saying that is a right let's go take the pi55. However I do think that the police are in some cases overstepping their actual role of dealing with criminality. In my local area you only need look at the news of stabbings, robbery, weed growers that get a brief glimpse however over 400 fines for covid breaches. It is a matter of focus.
A degree of common sense is required with regards to exercising , as for the police overstepping the mark I am sure the press love to blow out of all proportion the odd error that will happen when there are thousands of idiots out there breaking the rules.
Your original post did come across in my very humble opinion as very belligerent. So suck it up and take it on the chin like a big boy.

Cromarty

Old-Salt

It's not the fault of Police if they have this heaped on top of their usual duties. It is also not their fault if they do not have clear guidance on what is allowed and where.

It's not the fault of Police if they have this heaped on top of their usual duties. It is also not their fault if they do not have clear guidance on what is allowed and where.
Totally agree, that is where the issue lies. Nobody likes to be dicked with extra responsibilities but we generally like to know why and how we are to implement them and not just wing it.
I am not personally flaunting any rules that I know of but they are all a bit vague and can put people in the shit for rules/laws/guidelines whatever that are so open to interpretation. Not just on the side of the "offender" but also of the constabulary that are trying their best to uphold the ever changing situation.

RBMK

LE
Book Reviewer
Another collection of fvckwits:

Walkers were found wearing trainers and flimsy clothing during "blizzard-like" conditions and sub-zero temperatures in rural Northumberland.
Rescuers on a training exercise came across a group of five people atop The Cheviot, which is 2,674ft (815m) high, amid fading light two weeks ago.

I would have been strongly tempted to turn a Nelsonian eye.

Then laugh a Nelsonian laugh.

1613152958007.png

Shap fells are great if you want to do some walkies near the lake district without any crowds.

If you like horizontal rain, massive wind chill and bleak moorland with no shelter whatsoever and the winter is even worse.

TamH70

MIA
Shap fells are great if you want to do some walkies near the lake district without any crowds.

If you like horizontal rain, massive wind chill and bleak moorland with no shelter whatsoever and the winter is even worse.
The Gleniffer Braes, not far from my bit, are like that (ish) - they do have a lot of commercial forestries and the like, so there is a bit more shelter, but if you tried going off-road on a wander through the fields it's extremely easy to get lost and there is a lot of marshy ground and deceptively deep puddles to drown yourself in.

In the really bad weather, it's not far from being a death-trap up there. Mind you, sticking to the roads could be equally dangerous considering the vast number of crashed cars and other vehicles that left their evidence behind them when I was out on a walk towards Stewarton, as people drive like absolute idiots on the main road across the Braes, the B775.

In the really bad weather, it's not far from being a death-trap up there. Mind you, sticking to the roads could be equally dangerous considering the vast number of crashed cars and other vehicles that left their evidence behind them when I was out on a walk towards Stewarton, as people drive like absolute idiots on the main road across the Braes, the B775.
Around here on a bad day I reckon I could find my way home by following the trail of dog shit wrapped in plastic bags, abandoned childrens' gloves and whatever the latest ration packets are (dark green). Always seems to be peanut wrappers that get used as confetti for some reason.

The volume of 5.56 blank lying about has massively decreased, maybe a grown up had a word.

Bob Upndown

War Hero
Around here on a bad day I reckon I could find my way home by following the trail of dog shit wrapped in plastic bags, abandoned childrens' gloves and whatever the latest ration packets are (dark green). Always seems to be peanut wrappers that get used as confetti for some reason.

The volume of 5.56 blank lying about has massively decreased, maybe a grown up had a word.

Don’t get me started about the amount of litter being left out in the ooloo nowadays. When out daily with the dogs across the South Downs and other areas of my manor, I always pick up (the odd bit of, as it was then) litter and stowed it in the game pocket of my coat to dispose of. Now I’m taking my roe sack out most days - crisp packets, plastic water bottles, drinks cans, supermarket bags, black bin bags, the aforementioned gloves and socks (socks??) food waste, clingfilm and to top it all, a disposable nappy.

I fear now that the scum have found our green and pleasant land, we’re not going to get it back any time soon.

Mrs Slocombe

Old-Salt
The Gleniffer Braes, not far from my bit, are like that (ish) - they do have a lot of commercial forestries and the like, so there is a bit more shelter, but if you tried going off-road on a wander through the fields it's extremely easy to get lost and there is a lot of marshy ground and deceptively deep puddles to drown yourself in.
Top dogging spot though.

Same on Salisbury Plain, even McDonald’s wrappers, nearest McD is in Melksham over 10 miles away, the scoff would be cold by the time they got here so why wait until up on the Plain to chuck it out the window.

Another collection of fvckwits:

Walkers were found wearing trainers and flimsy clothing during "blizzard-like" conditions and sub-zero temperatures in rural Northumberland.
Rescuers on a training exercise came across a group of five people atop The Cheviot, which is 2,674ft (815m) high, amid fading light two weeks ago.

Can we not just equip Mountain Rescue with Repear and save the bother of having to risk people getting these feckwits off the hills?

Latest Threads