Army Rumour Service

Register a free account today to join our community
Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site, connect with other members through your own private inbox and will receive smaller adverts!

Hill walking stupidity

And the other thing in winter is that batteries die a lot quicker, so mobiles, torches etc can't be relied on, so even with torches it's good to have one of those one powered by pressing a button, they even do them in lots of silly animal shapes for the girlies now

New boss in work is going up Snowdon tomorrow. To be fair to him he's going as part of a group that is fully kitted out.
Looks like he has all the correct gear including an OS map of the area.

Daft bugger.

New boss in work is going up Snowdon tomorrow. To be fair to him he's going as part of a group that is fully kitted out.

Daft bugger.
The point being of course; does he actually know how to use a map!

The point being of course; does he actually know how to use a map!
To be fair to the bloke, he's been having map reading lessons. He was a tubby unfit ****** who's got into the big wide outdoors and loves it, he's now a bit of a racing snake, BUT he did say that he's not relying on his mobile phone for guidance etc just in case it breaks.

Absolute madness, there has to be some kind fine for this level of stupidly.

View attachment 355440

- Pay the full cost of the rescue
- A month in jail
- Pay for the privilege of your 4 week stay

Or some kind of mandatory hill walking insurance, say £10 a year, agree that you have map reading experience and can work a compass, and that you will have adequate clothing with you, failing to do this on been rescued gets you the three pointers above.

Anyone have any other ideas?

Yeah, leave them to die.
You are proposing a tax on all in order to protect the few.
That thinking has never worked.

To be fair to the bloke, he's been having map reading lessons. He was a tubby unfit ****** who's got into the big wide outdoors and loves it, he's now a bit of a racing snake, BUT he did say that he's not relying on his mobile phone for guidance etc just in case it breaks.
Exactly. Something that my daughter now understands too.
Maybe it's just an age thing that millenials overly rely on technology.
Physical fitness btw is the only thing that doesn't concern me in regards to my daughter. She also has a fairly good knowledge of first aid, being that one of her duties at work is as a 'first responder' (how's that for an americanism er?). :)

Exactly. Something that my daughter now understands too.
Maybe it's just an age thing that millenials overly rely on technology.
Physical fitness btw is the only thing that doesn't concern me in regards to my daughter. She also has a fairly good knowledge of first aid, being that one of her duties at work is as a 'first responder' (how's that for an americanism er?). :)

First responder to a millennial, isn't that the first person to reply to a post on social media?

Daft bugger.

Shame about the weather forecast for tomorrow, it's not going to be pleasant up there by the afternoon

Confession Time.
About 10 years ago.
Wifey and I were on holiday on February. One of those hot Februarys. We had our two Jack Russells and were in the car. Saw a National Trust type car park sign and knowing the dogs were fidgety for a pee decided to stop. We always have a little back pack with water and dog stuff with crisps and chocolate for us. We also had a small flask of coffee. Out we get and seeing typical National Trust type steps we walk on up and out of the car park. Beautiful and warm although as we went up we did see patches of ice. Hey ho on we jollied to a beautiful large crystal pool or small lake with a mirror smooth ice cover. We had coffee n crisps in our jeans and trainers and fleeces before heading back down. We came across a few groups of people in full mountain hiking gear giving us peculiar looks as we smiled and waved descending the grassy slope strewn with ice chunks. Fresh faced we got back to the car and decided to find somewhere to eat, which meant working out where we were.

Cader Idris is beautiful in February.

Confession Time.
About 10 years ago.
Wifey and I were on holiday on February. One of those hot Februarys. We had our two Jack Russells and were in the car. Saw a National Trust type car park sign and knowing the dogs were fidgety for a pee decided to stop. We always have a little back pack with water and dog stuff with crisps and chocolate for us. We also had a small flask of coffee. Out we get and seeing typical National Trust type steps we walk on up and out of the car park. Beautiful and warm although as we went up we did see patches of ice. Hey ho on we jollied to a beautiful large crystal pool or small lake with a mirror smooth ice cover. We had coffee n crisps in our jeans and trainers and fleeces before heading back down. We came across a few groups of people in full mountain hiking gear giving us peculiar looks as we smiled and waved descending the grassy slope strewn with ice chunks. Fresh faced we got back to the car and decided to find somewhere to eat, which meant working out where we were.

Cader Idris is beautiful in February.
How lucky you were that the weather held mate.