Army Rumour Service

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

Hill walking stupidity

I've seen queues on Crib Goch. Caused by a pushchair on the first occasion, a terrified and massive husky on the second occasion and by RAMC trying to carry a fridge (fitted with a rucksack back-frame) on the third occasion... :roll:
I don't believe this....how do you get a push chair up onto the ridge?

Joshua Slocum

LE
Book Reviewer
At £440,000 a set they're coming to MR! Can barely afford to keep the 4x4 on the road most years.

That's the ambulance service having a play. AFAIK the HARTs are already sniffing around getting moist at the prospect of a new toy they'll never use in anger
I sat and watched that video
clever stuff, but to a tradesman used to being offered complicated solutions to simple problems a few thoughts

what if the only bloke who can fly it is off sick ? or gets a bit diva and wants to move on to better things

how much does his training cost ??

how long does it take to put on, fuel it , test ,then after flying shut down that rocket pack, unstrap it ( its chuffin hot) and find somewhere to put it down, where it wont roll away, start a fire, or get small stones inside it , or get fiddled with by a mong friend of the casualty?

where are you going to store this thing ? not in the landrover, because some cretin on the piss would decide to break in and test fly it in front of his mates to make a you tube video

how much is servicing and inspection and re training ??

what if it gets damaged bouncing about in the landie ? its buggered

flying time is ten minutes !
so you need to get it near to the location with a Landrover, which unless I am much mistaken is not very fast

if it runs out of fuel on top of the mountain, some poor sod is going to have to hump it down

looking at the section he flew over, a decent quad bike, would get you much nearer to the top, a lot cheaper, and every member of the team could be trained to use it
or an electric mountain bike
nice idea
but too many problems
also more stupid people will put themselves at risk on mountains as they thing jetman will sweep them up in his arms and carry them away
look how cellular phones have raised stupidity to even greater heights

looking at the section he flew over, a decent quad bike, would get you much nearer to the top, a lot cheaper, and every member of the team could be trained to use it
Not electric as recharging would be difficult and takes forever. K I S S Quad bike.

clever stuff, but to a tradesman used to being offered complicated solutions to simple problems a few thoughts

what if the only bloke who can fly it is off sick ? or gets a bit diva and wants to move on to better things

how long does it take to put on, fuel it , test ,then after flying shut down that rocket pack, unstrap it ( its chuffin hot) and find somewhere to put it down, where it wont roll away, start a fire, or get small stones inside it , or get fiddled with by a mong friend of the casualty?

where are you going to store this thing ? not in the landrover, because some cretin on the piss would decide to break in and test fly it in front of his mates to make a you tube video

so you need to get it near to the location with a Landrover, which unless I am much mistaken is not very fast

if it runs out of fuel on top of the mountain, some poor sod is going to have to hump it down

nice idea
but too many problems
also more stupid people will put themselves at risk on mountains as they thing jetman will sweep them up in his arms and carry them away

This does remind me of the the American solution to writing in space versus the Russian solution.

MoleBath

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer

nice idea
but too many problems

Carrying a 12 bore for game control will be challenging in the suit

Not electric as recharging would be difficult and takes forever. K I S S Quad bike.
We added this to our fleet last year - it's been a worthy addition.

Still needs a fair bit of skill to use in interesting conditions, and it's much harder coming back down than it is going up, but it works.

ancienturion

LE
Book Reviewer
I don't believe this....how do you get a push chair up onto the ridge?
They were about 2/3rds of the way up the steep climb up from the Pyg Track to the crest of the Crib Goch. A lot of stern words were had by a lot of people until they saw sense and then tried to climb back down. Funnily enough the dog was in the same spot a year or two later. The fridge did actually make it all the way to the top (this was in 91)! :)

nice idea
but too many problems

You say that but the water fairies would find it very useful for getting cats out of trees. Pop the suit on, fly up to the tree, point one of your arms towards the cat and the jet blast blows the ungrateful little sod out of the tree. Job jobbed.

They were about 2/3rds of the way up the steep climb up from the Pyg Track to the crest of the Crib Goch. A lot of stern words were had by a lot of people until they saw sense and then tried to climb back down. Funnily enough the dog was in the same spot a year or two later. The fridge did actually make it all the way to the top (this was in 91)! :)
The approach to the ridge can be tricky, esp in poor visibility. If you can't see Llanberis pass you're probably too far round. I followed a gang of youngsters up last year - the lads were fit & hill aware (possibly military or TA), the girls with them were also fit but dressed for the naafi. They turned round about halfway up the approach after going off track slightly.

ZW Clanger

Old-Salt
Was doing the Dance last year in winter and
on the way back down Pen y Fan I spotted a group of older ladies stood at the path side (thick snow) one sat on her backside...unable to move her leg.
All had jeans and trainers on, no walking equipment at all! One had gone over on her ankle as a result. I duly obliged and following stabilisation and basic heat retention M.Rescue and a SAR helo was called in to shift them.
It staggers me what these people wear, the year before on the assent from the phone box I passed a fat chap In shorts and flips flops!!!

on the way back down Pen y Fan I spotted a group of older ladies stood at the path side (thick snow) one sat on her backside...unable to move her leg.
All had jeans and trainers on, no walking equipment at all! One had gone over on her ankle as a result. I duly obliged and following stabilisation and basic heat retention M.Rescue and a SAR helo was called in to shift them.
It staggers me what these people wear, the year before on the assent from the phone box I passed a fat chap In shorts and flips flops!!!
Any of them "show their gratitude"?

Overweight Middle Aged Women, lower limb injury - bread & butter call out.

On the general topic of carrying things up big 'ills .... .... and in 1911 ... this must have set a standard ... appropriately re-run ( or re-carried ) in 2011 ...
Footage from more than 100 years ago of a Ford Model T car making a descent of Ben Nevis, which was thought to have been lost, has been found.
The British Film Institute has made the film, shot in May 1911, available on its website.

.... interesting selection of hillwalking kit ... flat caps , pipes , suits and the odd overcoat but all wool based .

On the general topic of carrying things up big 'ills .... .... and in 1911 ... this must have set a standard ... appropriately re-run ( or re-carried ) in 2011 ...

.... interesting selection of hillwalking kit ... flat caps , pipes , suits and the odd overcoat but all wool based .

You'd be an idiot to go out on the hills in winter without your pipe!

Latest Threads