Hill walking stupidity

Shouldn't be an issue with portering, as long as your canoe/kayak is over 2metres long
Except on the canals where the banks are often quite tall where it can be quite a pain, especially if you're sense of balance is a bit suspect anyway

Sorry to read that report. I love watching these birds, but that's humans for you
Maybe we should start poisoning the humans instead.

Except on the canals where the banks are often quite tall where it can be quite a pain, especially if you're sense of balance is a bit suspect anyway
Yep, top trick if doing canal trip is to clip a carabiner onto a grab handle so it's easy to attach a rope to assist portage.

Maybe we should start poisoning the humans instead.
Maybe that's what's happened?
Returning to the theme that introduced the topic of scavenging birds in the first place, perhaps they have been feasting on abandoned failed hill walker corpses, who had consumed something poisonous. Like kebabs from yon place in Dundee that Fang mentioned.

Not sure what the local rag is saying here, stuck in Thors cave or on a slope near Thors Cave plus some twat falls off the Roaches.
I saw it more reliably reported as on the scree slope outside the cave. These local rags can struggle with simple English.

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Maybe that's what's happened?
Returning to the theme that introduced the topic of scavenging birds in the first place, perhaps they have been feasting on abandoned failed hill walker corpses, who had consumed something poisonous. Like kebabs from yon place in Dundee that Fang mentioned.
Middle Miss F has lost a few rolls to the gulls of Dundee. Snatched from her hand as she walked home from work.

Continuing the digression ..
My son informs me that in Tynemouth the Gulls have now worked out where the Fish and Chip Shops are and stand on the roofs of cars in the nearby car parks to await unsuspecting , naive visitors as they come out .

Last edited:
Mrs and me in Barry Island a few tears ago, it was a lovely summer evening.

Big burly biker type, backpatch type and his Mrs walking along eating a bag of chips each. Seagull flapped and screeched in front of the lady. Big burly bikers right fist shot out and smashed the seagull straight into the floor.

Little boy sat next to us with his family.
"mummy, that man just punched a bird"

Mum. "That's what happens when you try to steal things off people".

Yep, top trick if doing canal trip is to clip a carabiner onto a grab handle so it's easy to attach a rope to assist portage.
Never thought of that, the K1's were the worst, like trying to ride a knife edge, and only ever really stable when you're moving fast

For years I have had a spring operated carabiner and Paracord loop which I use on the grab handle of my 35 litre Rucksack .... where possible I loop and secure over a fence , bridge handrail or gate so my bag is at a better height to remove / replace kit .

Last edited:

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Continuing the digression ..
My son informs me that in Tynemouth the Gulls have now worked out where the Fish and Chip Shops are and stand on the roofs of cars in the nearby car parks to await unsuspecting , naive visitors as they come out .
Gulls are for tourists, try an eagle owl.

Never thought of that, the K1's were the worst, like trying to ride a knife edge, and only ever really stable when you're moving fast
Yep, I did have a canal portage rope once. Disappeared when my sister borrowed a load of my kit.

About £500 worth

Latest Threads