Hill walking stupidity

Absolute madness, there has to be some kind fine for this level of stupidly.

View attachment 355440

- Pay the full cost of the rescue
- A month in jail
- Pay for the privilege of your 4 week stay

Or some kind of mandatory hill walking insurance, say £10 a year, agree that you have map reading experience and can work a compass, and that you will have adequate clothing with you, failing to do this on been rescued gets you the three pointers above.

Anyone have any other ideas?
Simple solution.

Let Them Eat Cake. Preferably Kendall Mint Cake, its fuking minging.

That'll learn them.

Mr Tweedy

Old-Salt
They should have just left the stupid cûnt there. It would improve the gene pool.
Nope. We don't judge, just rescue.

He may well have had a fairly robustly delivered talking to about water safety, but that is all. The RNLI will rescue where we can, without judging. Been on shouts where many people have been stupid that don't get the reaction this bloke did. What's more stupid, a professional sea fairer neglecting maintenance and letting the vessel deteriorate to the point of sinking and still going to sea in it, or thinking you are a better surfer than you are ?

He may well have had a fairly robustly delivered talking to about water safety, but that is all. The RNLI will rescue where we can, without judging. Been on shouts where many people have been stupid that don't get the reaction this bloke did. What's more stupid, a professional sea fairer neglecting maintenance and letting the vessel deteriorate to the point of sinking and still going to sea in it, or thinking you are a better surfer than you are ?
I remember the head of Lochaber MRT saying pretty much the same thing on an interview once.
Whilst I have only admiration for people who put their lives in danger for others, I also have utter contempt for those who risk your lives because of their stupidity.

Yeah yeah yeah. I know all that "we don't judge" business. But it's about bloody time that the courts did. Whether it's a thick as mince surfer, or a chod who puts to sea in a colinder.
Ignorance is not an excuse in law, so neither should stupidity be.

The only thing that winds me up is the number of people we have to bring off the hill who are seriously overweight. It's inevitable that when you walk on uneven rocky paths you will roll over on to an ankle. Normal actively fit people (not athelete...) have enough strength in the muscles, tendons, ligaments etc... to normally deal with it. When a knacker suddenly puts 100kg through it, something goes pop.

That's not what winds me up.

What winds me up is that no one in the healthcare chain that they then go through will tell them that their obesity was directly to blame for their injury and resulting call out, surgery, rehabilitation etc...

We have a doctor and a number of paramedics in the team, they've told me that if they say anything about weight, chances are a complaint will be raised and they might have their employment affected.

That's what winds me up.

I have to bite my tongue every time but I, like you, stick to the premise that we do everything without prejudice or judgement.

Mr Tweedy

Old-Salt
Yeah yeah yeah. I know all that "we don't judge" business. But it's about bloody time that the courts did. Whether it's a thick as mince surfer, or a chod who puts to sea in a colinder.
Ignorance is not an excuse in law, so neither should stupidity be.

I get what you are saying, but I would happily leave that for the courts to decide, because as I say, judging the element of "stupid" in a decision to go to sea in any weather is very difficult.

My issue with it is, if we make the rules too draconian, or attach a cost to a rescue (even directly through court action), it will lead to a delay in people calling for help, until the situation has escalated to the point where rescue is even more difficult and dangerous. I would far rather get called to tow in a vessel that is out to sea and drifting towards land than to try get crew off one that is about to ground itself on a lee shore.

Mr Tweedy

Old-Salt
What winds me up is that no one in the healthcare chain that they then go through will tell them that their obesity was directly to blame for their injury and resulting call out, surgery, rehabilitation etc...

We have a doctor and a number of paramedics in the team, they've told me that if they say anything about weight, chances are a complaint will be raised and they might have their employment affected.

That's what winds me up.

I have to bite my tongue every time but I, like you, stick to the premise that we do everything without prejudice or judgement.
Having been at both ends of this chain, It winds me up too. I have been that nurse (and have been subject of complaint at least twice for my "robust language"), I totally feel your pain.

Fat shaming, (in the same way as the shaming around Smoking and Drink Driving has had a positive effect) should be positively encouraged, for the wider health of the population.

Thought I'd wonder up near Snowdon with my camera, the wind hasn't really calmed down here yet, wonder who will get rescued today

I get what you are saying, but I would happily leave that for the courts to decide, because as I say, judging the element of "stupid" in a decision to go to sea in any weather is very difficult.

My issue with it is, and dangerous. I would far rather get called to tow in a vessel that is out to sea and drifting towards land than to try get crew off one that is about to ground itself on a lee shore.
My bold. Which is exactly what any mountain rescue bod would say as well. I get that.
I just don't like idiots, who needlessly put others in danger, because they lack common sense, and are just plain ignorant of the dangers of mountainous conditions for example.

Mr Tweedy

Old-Salt
My bold. Which is exactly what any mountain rescue bod would say as well. I get that.
I just don't like idiots, who needlessly put others in danger, because they lack common sense, and are just plain ignorant of the dangers of mountainous conditions for example.
you appear to have missed a bit somewhere, can't see your bold....

But anyway, whilst not judging, in public, and making no charge for rescue, doesn't stop me or my crew mates making some VERY frank and robust judgements of the fecking idiots that we sometimes get called to, in the privacy of the crew room......I don't like idiots either.....

you appear to have missed a bit somewhere, can't see your bold....

But anyway, whilst not judging, in public, and making no charge for rescue, doesn't stop me or my crew mates making some VERY frank and robust judgements of the fecking idiots that we sometimes get called to, in the privacy of the crew room......I don't like idiots either.....
I meant to respond to this post.

My issue with it is, if we make the rules too draconian, or attach a cost to a rescue (even directly through court action), it will lead to a delay in people calling for help, until the situation has escalated to the point where rescue is even more difficult and dangerous. I would far rather get called to tow in a vessel that is out to sea and drifting towards land than to try get crew off one that is about to ground itself on a lee shore.

Niamac

GCM
Apparently tourists from abroad. Should think their experience served as a lesson that they have thoroughly learned. The 'phone app that they used seems to be very useful to the MRT but they were lucky that they had reception.

Apparently tourists from abroad. Should think their experience served as a lesson that they have thoroughly learned. The 'phone app that they used seems to be very useful to the MRT but they were lucky that they had reception.
Interestingly, we had a S&R for a young Belgian lad last year. The very grateful parents gave us a really generous donation. We did actually query it with them as it was unusually large, but they said it's what they thought it would have cost had they been on the EU mainland.

The only thing that winds me up is the number of people we have to bring off the hill who are seriously overweight. It's inevitable that when you walk on uneven rocky paths you will roll over on to an ankle. Normal actively fit people (not athelete...) have enough strength in the muscles, tendons, ligaments etc... to normally deal with it. When a knacker suddenly puts 100kg through it, something goes pop.

That's not what winds me up.

That's what winds me up.

In that case , nominate a broke , non doctor living in rented accommodation to be the spokesman and tell it as it is .

I'm a large lad but I walk regularly. I was thinking about doing Pen y Fan today or tomorrow and getting some decent photos up there.
Discretion being the better part of valour I've decided against it. I don't have the appropriate cold weather kit and to be brutally honest it's been a while since I've been out on the hills on my own.
I don't fancy being the dickhead being rescued for being stupid.

Oh hello your Eminence, you think that I'll be OK for a gentle stroll, it's only a small hill you say.....

He's been given a fuck off pill.

In that case , nominate a broke , non doctor living in rented accommodation to be the spokesman and tell it as it is .
I like the idea of being 'duty bastard'.

AsterixTG is out on the hill and rescues someone with hypothermia due to trying to cross the Talybont reservoir on a lilo - "Terribly sorry about all that bother sir, if you'll just hold on a sec Brian will be over to call you a fucking stupid fucking cunt any moment now"

Latest Threads