Hill walking stupidity

oldnotbold

War Hero
Living near the Jurassic Coast as we do, we are amazed every time we visit the coast at the number of eejits who walk past the 'Danger' notices to take selfies at the edge of friable cliffs. Or stand there looking down at the heap of the last rock fall. Or stand on the rock heaps underneath the overhanging cliff.
Yeah, similar along the seven sisters the other week, especially Chinese, often with wheely cases for some weird reason. The local leading the walk told me that the craze is for standing by the edge of the chalk cliff and doing a star jump while your mate takes the pic: at least one has found out the inevitable

Last edited:

Cutaway

LE
Kit Reviewer
Living in a coastal area I've seen most of what you describe, but being a pensioner myself I'll take issue over the 'pensioner in sandals' bit. One of the reasons that most people who reach active pensioner status do so is that they've studiously avoided being this fecking dumb on the way...
Just seen this - apologies for the thoughtless misnomer.

One of the reasons that most people who reach active pensioner status do so is that they've studiously avoided being this fecking dumb on the way
Seconded

I raised my 3 lads with the mantra that:

Not everything that is scary is dangerous​
Not everything that is dangerous is scary​
and the trick is to know which is which.

Only time will tell how well they've each grasped it.

Helvellyn today had a large traffic jam on striding edge caused by old dears and kids getting a bit out their depth and freezing.

Good fun waiting for them to move in wind and rain while stood on a very exposed ridge with views of the drops on both sides.

People then got impatient and down climbed around them on some hairy looking routes.

My mate mentioned to me it's bad form to throw other people's kids off mountains so I behaved myself. Had a can of San Miguel on the summit though which was nice.

One lad seen in jeans and trainers on the summit. No day sack no jacket so must have had a lovely day.

Latest Threads