Hill walking stupidity

Not quite hillwalking, but the same numpty mentality.

I've spent the last week in Brixham. The wind has been offshore, 30kts, gusting 46kts. The kayaks have stayed on the car. A little bit of inshore swimming in the shelter of the breakwater is all I've done.

Wednesday, the RNLI rib was called out, we followed with binoculars and marine radio. Three kids in a dinghy, no bouyancy aids, oars but no idea how to use them. 700m offshore at Goodrington, waving for help. They drifted a long way from the initial sighting, until dad swum out to rescue them. Dad got hypothermia. Very close to a family being wiped out.

Utter bellends.

Edited due to autoincorrect.

Sent from my neocore_E1R1 using Tapatalk

I'm up around the Pen y Fan area quite a bit. There appears to be 3 types of hill walker.

1. Flip flops, t shirt, bottle of water and no fecking clue.

2. The entire catalogue of Mountain Warehouse being worn, map, GPS, brightly coloured rucksack and a gadget for every situation.

3. Blokes in mid twenties, very very fit and athletic ,wearing military boots and a massive bergan. No points for guessing what they are doing on the hills.
Researching for a "non-fiction" book or a newspaper article? "It was a long climb to the boathouse but when we got to the balcony the view made it worthwhile. I was glad of unloading last weeks washing from the bergan. She was a bit miffed about the walk back though."

Last edited:
Not quite hillwalking, but the same numpty mentality.

I've spent the last week in Brixham. The wind has been offshore, 30kts, gusting 46kts. The kayaks have stayed on the car. A little bit of inshore swimming in the shelter of the breakwater is all I've done.

Wednesday, the RNLI rib was called out, we followed with binoculars and marine radio. Three kids in a dinghy, no bouyancy aids, oars but no idea how to use them. 700m offshore at Goodrington, waving for help. They drifted a long way from the initial sighting, until dad swum out to rescue them. Dad got hypothermia. Very close to a family being wiped out.

Utter bellends.

Edited due to autoincorrect.

Sent from my neocore_E1R1 using Tapatalk
Stupid knows no bounds. On the hills or the coast, you will ALWAYS come across people with unlimited quantities of the stupid gene.

I'm off to Cornwall camping in early September. I can virtually guarantee I'll end up helping someone who's either stuck or has got a large fishing hook sticking out of their anatomy.

We stay at a site that allows an open fire, 2 years ago a few people from London turned up and attempted to light a fire with 1 match held against a large log. One impromptu fire lighting lesson as the silly twat was going to pour petrol on it to get it going.

SWMBO just said " light his fire for him, I'm off duty, I've been drinking cider and I'm not giving the dull twat first aid"

Stupid knows no bounds. On the hills or the coast, you will ALWAYS come across people with unlimited quantities of the stupid gene.

I'm off to Cornwall camping in early September. I can virtually guarantee I'll end up helping someone who's either stuck or has got a large fishing hook sticking out of their anatomy.

We stay at a site that allows an open fire, 2 years ago a few people from London turned up and attempted to light a fire with 1 match held against a large log. One impromptu fire lighting lesson as the silly twat was going to pour petrol on it to get it going.

SWMBO just said " light his fire for him, I'm off duty, I've been drinking cider and I'm not giving the dull twat first aid"
Wouldn't be dull for a bit while the flash flames took hold.

Wouldn't be dull for a bit while the flash flames took hold.
Happened to a pal of mine, running a recruits 'boating weekend' at Stamford. Not knowing that his NCOs had doused the obligatory massive (but slightly soggy) bonfire with large quantities of flammable hydrocarbons, he was perplexed as to their preferred method of causing ignition: to whit, standing at a safe distance and flicking flaring matches into the fumes, in hopes one would eventually catch.

He intervened.

When next I saw him he seemed to have acquired a fine mahogany tan on his face, despite the dreary weekend weather. He finally owned up when the mahogany bits started to flake off leaving pale pink smile/frown lines :-D

Probably didn't notice the whiff of sulphur in the air that night, what with the petrol fumes followed by the smell of scorching tissue . . .

Last edited:

anglo

LE
Portwrinkle today, it has a low sea wall some nice waves coming over the wall
like so
P1300373.JPG

then you get

P1300334.JPG
P1300354.JPG
P1300408.JPG

Sorry for thread drift

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
Portwrinkle today, it has a low sea wall some nice waves coming over the wall
like so
View attachment 409908

then you get

View attachment 409910View attachment 409911View attachment 409912

Sorry for thread drift
Was there a few weeks back, nice wee pill box on the beach.

And loads of rocks for tiny Miss F to climb.

She never went near the sea! But then again we have plenty of that at home, but the beaches at home are all dunes, so cliff climbing was a novelty.

Well rock scrambling in reality but when you're 3feet tall, anything over 5 feet from the ground is a long way up!

TamH70

MIA
Was there a few weeks back, nice wee pill box on the beach.

And loads of rocks for tiny Miss F to climb.

She never went near the sea! But then again we have plenty of that at home, but the beaches at home are all dunes, so cliff climbing was a novelty.

Well rock scrambling in reality but when you're 3feet tall, anything over 5 feet from the ground is a long way up!
Future K2 ascender then?

When the conflagration had died out (along with the soft London ponces), the only thing not consumed would be the log. A tenner says it was both damp and unseasoned.

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
When the conflagration had died out (along with the soft London ponces), the only thing not consumed would be the log. A tenner says it was both damp and unseasoned.
Akshully. The wood was both dry and seasoned.
The fuckwit thought it would just burst into flames at the caress of a single match.

Grownup_Rafbrat

LE
Book Reviewer
Living near the Jurassic Coast as we do, we are amazed every time we visit the coast at the number of eejits who walk past the 'Danger' notices to take selfies at the edge of friable cliffs. Or stand there looking down at the heap of the last rock fall. Or stand on the rock heaps underneath the overhanging cliff.

Latest Threads