Hill walking stupidity

I’ve just discovered some old papers - one telling me I’d passed RCB and been ‘awarded’ a place on Rowallan and the command task narrative for Ex ULU PONGO. Also the ex instructions for MARATHON CHASE and BATON ROUGE.

Why on earth did I keep them?
Hmm . . .

2 possibilities spring to mind:

Option 1: You were going through a khaki-brained little schitt phase.

Option 2: You thought they might be useful as evidence.

Difficult to be sure :-D

Hmm . . .

2 possibilities spring to mind:

Option 1: You were going through a khaki-brained little schitt phase.

Option 2: You thought they might be useful as evidence.

Difficult to be sure :-D
Ha! You know me too well....

The narrative is a great example of how these things used to be very imaginatively written!

Not the same bloke - there would have been a number of OCs between 6 and 15. I did 8 and the OC was a Sapper - we’d all heard of the previous OC!

I’ve just discovered some old papers - one telling me I’d passed RCB and been ‘awarded’ a place on Rowallan and the command task narrative for Ex ULU PONGO. Also the ex instructions for MARATHON CHASE and BATON ROUGE.

Why on earth did I keep them?
Blast from the past! Trying to remember was Marathon Chase the sleep deprivation, trench digging, defensive ex on STANTA and Baton Rouge the NI simulation COIN ex at Longmoor?

Niamac

GCM
When told the lad wanted to jack, the OC waved his ashplant at him and said: “Well, B*****s, you have two choices; either carry on with your section or stay up here and die, because I can’t carry you down...”
Reminds me of the porker who was out stalking with a ghillie. To the ghillie, "I say, what would you do if I collapsed up here on the mountain."

"That would not be a problem sir; last week I got a stag about the same weight as you off the hill without difficulty. Mind you I took him off in three pieces."

Blast from the past! Trying to remember was Marathon Chase the sleep deprivation, trench digging, defensive ex on STANTA and Baton Rouge the NI simulation COIN ex at Longmoor?
Correct - although we did BR at Ogbourne St George.

With the overpowering, nauseating stench of maturing silage pervading everylastfvckingthing?
This is what it looks like now....

B13ECAC0-0C93-47AB-8463-4232F9361F2B.jpeg

Pretty much the same as before it became home (for the duration of hostilities) of the Screamin' Eagles, or possibly t'other lot. I've rather forgot a lot of the detail.

But not that fvcking silage smell. It lingered in my combats for fvcking weeks.

It was vile.
Not sure if the Airborne were there. Americans certainly were. They are certainly remembered with advantages in the local area where I live. The local creation of a Ramsbury airfield memorial attracted more than 600 people and a C17 flypast

No silage smells now, but I did pick up a old baton round case.

Blogg

LE
Yesterday was more than a trifle breezy. Rain showers but sunny and quite warm. What to do for a long walk in the harsh environment of darkest Gloucestershire?

Obvs if you are the gormless nephew and girlfriend. You tog up in cheap non breathable dark blue waterproofs from head to toe and stride off in purposeful manner into the distance.

And then call your Mum up to report that your gf has keeled over having overheated.

I was going to go up to the beacons for a spot of small river fishing.
Small rivers are now raging torrents that I'm not even attempting to wet a line in. Far too dangerous tbh.

Tidying my man cave up instead.

Splitz

Old-Salt
Very true @Ravers ; I'd bet that in most coastal areas with coastal paths, for every sensibly dressed and prepared walker there is a pensioner in sandals or a bunch of ********* coming back from the pub in the dark. Or a clueless townie with a big OS map and an iphone, still fecking lost. Kidding you not, on a coastal path a few years back there was a family with a pushchair coming the other way. Some, or most, don't consider what happens when it pelts down, they break a limb or have a medical emergency, or they get lost or they're still on the path in the dark. And there's no phone signal.
Living in a coastal area I've seen most of what you describe, but being a pensioner myself I'll take issue over the 'pensioner in sandals' bit. One of the reasons that most people who reach active pensioner status do so is that they've studiously avoided being this fecking dumb on the way...

Last edited:
Living in a coastal area I've seen most of what you describe, but being a pensioner myself i'll take issue over the 'pensioner in sandals' bit. One of the reasons that most people who reach active pensioner status do so is that they've studiously avoided being this fecking dumb on the way...
But sometimes their concentration goes, my dad has lost his mental street map of night time Glasgow and negotiates his way round driving by main roads only, he is OK by day though.

He also let my brother who has mild learning difficulties do a coastal walk in the East Neuk that included crossing wet rocks, in dealer boots.

I was the baddie for insisting my brother spent some of his savings on a pair of walking shoes from ALDI at £20.

Last edited:
Ben Nevis last week, too many to mention but the amount of t shirt, trainers, poncho wearing idiots was astounding.

I'm up around the Pen y Fan area quite a bit. There appears to be 3 types of hill walker.

1. Flip flops, t shirt, bottle of water and no fecking clue.

2. The entire catalogue of Mountain Warehouse being worn, map, GPS, brightly coloured rucksack and a gadget for every situation.

3. Blokes in mid twenties, very very fit and athletic ,wearing military boots and a massive bergan. No points for guessing what they are doing on the hills.

Latest Threads