Hill walking stupidity

My friend in the Pennine rescue mob has commented that June is the month on the mountain mong.

They have already pulled a couple of sandal wearers off the rough bit of the Pennine Way.

Sprained ankle, cuts to feet etc. Cold, wet, got caught by a heavy shower (not read the weather forecast). Went too far up and missed the easy return path, navigation via google maps etc etc.

Not even enough to make the local rag. Severe lecture given to mongs and donation extracted.
Never heard of the Pennine Rescue Mob. It is 268 miles in length and covered by several different MRT s.

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
I was going to go out today and do the Fan from Pontsticil reservoir side.

Kit allesuberplatz in my man cave, I know the area but can't find my OS map and my compass has vanished.

Looking at the weather forecast and my appalling level of disorganized chaos, I'm sat in my armchair, log fire burning away merrily sipping a pint of Leffe. I refuse to be the mong that MR teams have to come and pluck off the hills due to sheer ******* stupidity.
Thanks.

EM (pbuh) did try and whisper in my ear telling me it would be fine.

Discretion being the better part of valour, I told him to piss off.
Good lad.

I got back from a week in Seville yesterday, having to immediately gear up for a twat on PYF would have dented my enthusiasm for being home.

Btw, flying up over Devon etc... to Bristol in bright sunshine over vibrant green below. What a beautiful place we live in.

ancienturion

LE
Book Reviewer
EM (pbuh) did try and whisper in my ear telling me it would be fine.

Discretion being the better part of valour, I told him to piss off.
Much sucking in of breath through teeth and thinking "You'll be sorrreeee".

Never heard of the Pennine Rescue Mob. It is 268 miles in length and covered by several different MRT s.
Don't want to give any Persec away.
to clarify he's in a team that covers the middle part of the Pennine Way.

Rod924

LE
Kit Reviewer
Don't want to give any Persec away.
to clarify he's in a team that covers the middle part of the Pennine Way.
Can't really see what Persec has to do with this, unless Terry are now plotting against MRT's!

So for clarification, as I'm stumped as to possible location (Penygent, High cup, Crossfell) as clues don't all add together for these, please advise on which t'hill?

Re. Mallory and Irvine.

The kit was top notch. When Mallory's body was found, one thing that was remarked upon was the sophistication of his gear. It was far from just a tweed jacket and an extra sweater underneath.

The jacket was a modified Norfolk jacket - a shooting jacket, effectively, chosen to allow the arm articulation for climbing.

Under that, there were alternating layers of silk and merino wool. That provided insulation while the silk allowed the layers to move over each other.

There have been climbs made wearing replica gear and it came out very favourably indeed next to more modern synthetics.

Some links:

Mallory Myths - Outdoor Gear Coach

https://www.alpinejournal.org.uk/Contents/Contents_2007_files/AJ 2007 243-246 Hoyland Clothing.pdf

I really do like to think that they peaked. But, as many a mountaineer has said, what matters is getting back.

Re. Mallory and Irvine.

The kit was top notch. When Mallory's body was found, one thing that was remarked upon was the sophistication of his gear. It was far from just a tweed jacket and an extra sweater underneath.

The jacket was a modified Norfolk jacket - a shooting jacket, effectively, chosen to allow the arm articulation for climbing.

Under that, there were alternating layers of silk and merino wool. That provided insulation while the silk allowed the layers to move over each other.

There have been climbs made wearing replica gear and it came out very favourably indeed next to more modern synthetics.

Some links:

Mallory Myths - Outdoor Gear Coach

https://www.alpinejournal.org.uk/Contents/Contents_2007_files/AJ 2007 243-246 Hoyland Clothing.pdf

I really do like to think that they peaked. But, as many a mountaineer has said, what matters is getting back.
Old gear and methods are seriously underated by many people. See my links below for similar observations from another reconstruction.

https://www.arrse.co.uk/community/threads/old-school-togs-wool-serge.259200/page-2#post-7488293

https://www.arrse.co.uk/community/t...hat-sir-operation.259913/page-15#post-7552172

You don't see many hill farmers, stalkers, shepherd's or gamekeepers from the high hill needing mountain rescue much.
Mind you they do exercise a fair bit of common sense on the hill and respect the conditions.
At best clothed they are in tweeds, wooly poolys and viyella shirts with vinyl waterproofs and a pair of ex army boots. At worst t shirts, combats, wooly poolys, benny hats and wellys.
Too much is relied on by the inexperienced on the latest clothing and expensive kit to make up for complete lack of knowledge of and understanding of the environment they are trotting off into.

Too much is relied on by the inexperienced on the latest clothing and expensive kit to make up for complete lack of knowledge of and understanding of the environment they are trotting off into.
Bill Bryson has written of this many times.
In my hiking days wee'd often meet folk on the trail with blisters and chafing as they'd bought the boots and kit the day before, hadn't 'worn it in' or washed it.
Likewise, they had a brand new compass and map, but no knowledge of how they worked!

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer
In pictures: UK's highest altitude highline

Technically does it count as stupid if you have a safety line?
IMHO it's no more stupid than skydiving with a reserve parachute in case things go horribly wrong with the main canopy

Interesting place name, though: if memory serves, 'gardyloo'* is a cod-french phrase that was shouted by folk emptying piss-pots into the street from upper storey windows, in the days before sewers became a universal amenity.
= = =
*Stonkernote: from gardez l'eau - beware water.