Hill walking stupidity

The key phrase in the article is that gamekeepers have been doing it for ages. It’s not new, it’s just that unmanaged moorland with rank heather rather than the patchwork quilt effect of regular managed burnings is far more vulnerable to uncontrollable wildfire.
It’s been done by farmers and gamekeepers in the north of England for probably hundreds of years. It’s normal at this time of year to see controlled burns on the fells in the Pennines.

It’s been done by farmers and gamekeepers in the north of England for probably hundreds of years. It’s normal at this time of year to see controlled burns on the fells in the Pennines.
Indeed

However I think we are just outside the muirburn season, stops just after Easter as I recall to allow ground nesting birds to lay and avoid wildfire as the ground dries out.

ancienturion

LE
Book Reviewer
The BBC news just said the latest running total was 10.
Whoever is issuing licences needs to issue far fewer and make stricter conditions on them, imho.

Whoever is issuing licences needs to issue far fewer and make stricter conditions on them, imho.
Blanket ban on eight-thousander summit attempts for a couple of years - across the whole geographical area - would hammer the point home a bit more, I reckon. There are still herds of tourists that would walk to the foothills of the Himalayas, so it wouldn't harm revenue too much, but it would have a chilling effect on the kind of idiots that you see in that photograph.

Blanket ban on eight-thousander summit attempts for a couple of years - across the whole geographical area - would hammer the point home a bit more, I reckon. There are still herds of tourists that would walk to the foothills of the Himalayas, so it wouldn't harm revenue too much, but it would have a chilling effect on the kind of idiots that you see in that photograph.
I'm not sure a blanket ban would help. I think limiting those allowed up to people who have logged several smaller summits / hold a relevant qualification would be a good idea though.

I found this photograph of a snake of people on the final ascent to crest Everest ... just incredulous ...

View attachment 394781

... at a much , much lower level and somewhat less inclement I have never seen the very popular Striding Edge that busy .

Fatalities have resulted .... Linky ... At least four more die on Everest amid overcrowding concerns
When I saw your post I thought that has got to be a fake, but no its bang on.
Why Mount Everest's summit gets so crowded
Latest death British man
UK man latest to die in rising Everest toll

Last edited:
I am sure I read somewhere that on Everest near the summit climbers knew they would enter the " Zone of death " in which it was known that bodies would not be recovered ... not sure if this is still true .... however needs must may change that to maintain the income from aspiring climbers

I am sure I read somewhere that on Everest near the summit climbers knew they would enter the " Zone of death " in which it was known that bodies would not be recovered ... not sure if this is still true .... however needs must may change that to maintain the income from aspiring climbers
It is indeed, above 8000m bodies tend to be left in situ. There’s a body up there that has bright green plastic boots on that’s become a bit of a waypoint on the NE ridge. His identity isn’t fully clear but he’s thought to be an Indian climber who died in 1996.

Last edited: