Hill walking stupidity

I was listening to a story yesterday about a Lake District mountain rescue team that had spent £18k on a new website advising people on how to go hill walking safely.
I wish I had paid more attention as Iwould like to see it as I thought it was a lot of money to spend which could be perhaps better spent.
Can't know the effectiveness of something you don't try.

OTOH, a website is only useful if it is drawn to the attention of, and consumed by, its intended audience.

If they have spent £18K on the site alone they're being robbed.

If they have spent £18K on the site and on promotion thereof, they're at least aiming in the right direction.

But £18K don't go very far, if you're buying publicity or advertising.

I was listening to a story yesterday about a Lake District mountain rescue team that had spent £18k on a new website advising people on how to go hill walking safely.
Well, if said website prevents 1 muppet from calling out Mountain Rescue every fortnight,
2 times per month
24 times per year

Assuming said website gets left alone for 5 years, that's 120 callouts or £150 per callout. I'd call that a reasonable trade for the number of people and risk of injury involved on a call.

Skye turned up on the lockscreen of my work laptop the other day.

Beautiful scenery - in that low, bright lighting you get when the weather is just about to turn and make your life difficult.

Tough country, and no mistake !
More for you to google. Danny MacAskill, The Ridge. He does stunts/adverts on his bike. Comes ashore in a rowing boat, picks his bike out and off he goes. Ends up on Sgurr Dearg, The Inaccessible Pinnacle aka the In Pin. If you get the chance watch the making of the film too. Cracking views, although he's as mad as last months hare! I've got to get the Pin out the road before too long. May be a tad difficult if I'm using a zimmer frame.

ancienturion

LE
Book Reviewer

maguire

LE
Book Reviewer
Can I just check, did Mountain Rescue winch them down due to being in an inaccessible area; or where they just fat mooses?
But they were forced to dial 999 on Thursday after "becoming anxious".
It goes on to say
;harnesses and a rope to lower the women to safety - though without any eggs.;
It does not specify if the eggs required batteries.

Fang_Farrier

LE
Kit Reviewer
Book Reviewer